Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 6 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
Dream
Admiral

The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon cancelled

Well it seems that the long running rumor for Avengers Earth’s Mightiest heroes cancellation, is a rumor no more! The cancellation has been confirmed by Marvel latest official Press(Print only):

” The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes” won’t be renewed for the 3rd Season. Marvel Animation will present their newly developed series “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble” in 2013.”

The Press also contained the below Promo image of the upcoming Show:
http://www.marveltvnews.com/2012/06/...gers-assemble/

This is a shame. I thought this series would have gone on much longer after the tremendous sucess of the recent film.

I really enjoyed the first season and was looking forward to seeing season two even after hearing about the forced standalone episodes. It is too bad these cartoons don't last very long.
Old June 6 2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Re: The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon Cancelled

Dream wrote: View Post
This is a shame. I thought this series would have gone on much longer after the tremendous sucess of the recent film.
Looking at the team pick for the new show it looks like they using the upcoming new Avengers show to cash in on the movie.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 09:29 PM   #3
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes cartoon cancelled

^ As you say, given the success of the movie, one would have expected this to carry on.

There seems to be no real correlation between successful comic book movies and tv cartoon versions of the same characters. The Iron Man Armoured adventures doesn't seem to have lasted very long. There have been at least 2 attempts to make a Spider-man cartoon since the Raimi movies, but neither lasted long. And The Batman was cancelled, despite the success of the Nolanverse.
Old June 6 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
And The Batman was cancelled, despite the success of the Nolanverse.
The Batman ran for 65 episodes. Because of the economics of animated shows these days most of them are brought to an end when they hit that mark (although some effectively continue after a rebranding). 65 episodes is the gold standard animated shows aim for.
Old June 6 2012, 09:36 PM   #5
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ Ah, I didn't know that. Thanks.
Old June 6 2012, 09:40 PM   #6
Dream
Admiral

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
Because of the economics of animated shows these days most of them are brought to an end when they hit that mark (although some effectively continue after a rebranding). 65 episodes is the gold standard animated shows aim for.
Too bad EMH will only have 52 eps by its end. A season 3 with a further 13 episodes would have been nice.
Old June 6 2012, 09:45 PM   #7
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

^ As you say, given the success of the movie, one would have expected this to carry on.

There seems to be no real correlation between successful comic book movies and tv cartoon versions of the same characters. The Iron Man Armoured adventures doesn't seem to have lasted very long. There have been at least 2 attempts to make a Spider-man cartoon since the Raimi movies, but neither lasted long. And The Batman was cancelled, despite the success of the Nolanverse.

Do you know something I don't?

Iron Man armoured Adventures s02e19 came out last week of a supposed 26 episode season and the wiki page has suits talking about season three.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 09:57 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer

Hmm, the cancellation of A:EMH is a shame, especially seeing that Avengers Assemble poster with Black Widow as the only woman on the team. I really like EMH's Wasp and Ms. Marvel.

The Avengers will carry on, just not in this form. Reports are that Jeph Loeb, who's in charge of Marvel's animated shows now, preferred to take things in a different direction. So it's a creative decision rather than a financial one.

There seems to be no real correlation between successful comic book movies and tv cartoon versions of the same characters. The Iron Man Armoured adventures doesn't seem to have lasted very long.
No, that's still airing. It's been on midseason hiatus since March, but it actually returns tonight, with eight episodes remaining in season 2, and Wikipedia says they're working on a third season though it hasn't definitely been given the go-ahead yet.

There have been at least 2 attempts to make a Spider-man cartoon since the Raimi movies, but neither lasted long.
I don't know why MTV's CGI Spider-Man failed (aside from not being very good), but The Spectacular Spider-Man was a casualty of corporate maneuvers, not low ratings. When Disney acquired Marvel, contracts were renegotiated (or something), and in order to retain the movie rights to Spider-Man, Sony/Columbia (which produced SSM) ceded the TV rights back to Marvel. And rather than bankrolling the further production of SSM, Marvel/Disney decided to replace it with their own in-house Spidey show, Ultimate Spider-Man.

And The Batman was cancelled, despite the success of the Nolanverse.
As stated above, it ended on schedule rather than being cancelled -- and was followed by Batman: The Brave and the Bold, which also ran for 65 episodes before being ended. And BB&B will be followed by Beware the Batman, which is currently in production for a 2013 premiere. So one could hardly say that Batman is a failure in animation.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 10:11 PM   #9
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't know why MTV's CGI Spider-Man failed (aside from not being very good), but The Spectacular Spider-Man was a casualty of corporate maneuvers, not low ratings. When Disney acquired Marvel, contracts were renegotiated (or something), and in order to retain the movie rights to Spider-Man, Sony/Columbia (which produced SSM) ceded the TV rights back to Marvel. And rather than bankrolling the further production of SSM, Marvel/Disney decided to replace it with their own in-house Spidey show, Ultimate Spider-Man.
I wonder how the X-men TV rights stand, because it would be nice to get a new X-men series preferably one that knows which character traits and team positions go to Cyclops and which ones go to Wolverine.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 10:15 PM   #10
Mr Light
Admiral

Ugh, that sucks. I'm actually really enjoying the Avengers toon. Solid adaptations of storylines including modern ones, all star cast, good animation...

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 10:16 PM   #11
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
I wonder how the X-men TV rights stand, because it would be nice to get a new X-men series preferably one that knows which character traits and team positions go to Cyclops and which ones go to Wolverine.
Marvel Entertainment controls the TV rights to X-Men, or at least as regards animation (there was a lawsuit between Marvel and Fox over Mutant X), so the creative decisions on Wolverine and the X-Men were Marvel's, not Fox's.
Old June 6 2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The storylines are so fantastic in Earths Mightiest Heroes that I can forgive the god awful animation.

Although is anyone else disturbed that the Hulk doesn't have nipples?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Mr Light
Admiral

Hulk smash lactation!

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 03:13 AM   #14
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Is there any info on the new Avengers cartoon?
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 03:55 AM   #15
Technobuilder
Commodore

Bugger all. I was really enjoying Avengers: EMH

Figures they'd pull this mess.

I can't even get into a show before it's out the door again.

Young Justice better be renewed past it's second series. Greg Weisman can't catch a break.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote