Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 6 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi
The Mysterious Cities of Gold - Part 2

30 years after the original run, the Mysterious Cities of Gold return!
Here's a 4 min clip/preview of the new series (3 seasons of 26 episodes) but it's in French...

http://www.lexpress.fr/culture/tele/...e_1123109.html

Too bad this is no longer a Franco-Japanese collaboration, because I think the animation is somewhat less than fluid. I would have preferred old style animation in stead of 3D, but I guess the target public won't mind...

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 05:55 PM   #2
T J
Commodore

Re: The Mysterious Cities of Gold - Part 2

OMG! OMG! My inner child is sooo happy!!! I adore this series I can't believe they did it. I agree the style is a bit odd but I can get used to it... Though Mendoza does look on the puny side, they need to beef him up a bit.

At the very least there will be a version with subs, at best they will get actors to redo it in english, but the voices better be spot on.

I remember coming home everyday to catch this show in the 80's and just loved it. When I got the dvd's a few years ago it held up as well as it did when I was a kid... very rare. I showed it to my wife and even she loves it!

Very very very excited!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 6 2012, 06:56 PM   #3
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I can live with the animation, I can live with a subbed version. Bring it on!

I remember when I picked up the DVDs a while ago there was a leaflet saying that they were working on a new version. It's been a while, I thought it had all fallen through.

Yamato being remade, more seasons of MCoG, Thundercats back - what next, more Ulysses 31?!
Old June 7 2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

I wonder if they'll have live-action shorts at the end of each episode... That's what sold the series for me 30 years ago.

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 04:15 PM   #5
T J
Commodore

According to this interview [ http://en.lescitesdor.com/actualite/mco2/mco2.php ](a few years ago mind you), yes mini-documentaries will be attached to each episode like the original. Another thing, looks like Esteban and Zia were not able to get the center part of their medallions... it would have been too easy. Here is the trailer with subs. [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly1hQrGlaoU&feature=youtu.be ] It looks like it does pick up where the original left us.
Old June 7 2012, 05:34 PM   #6
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I can live with the animation, I can live with a subbed version. Bring it on!

I remember when I picked up the DVDs a while ago there was a leaflet saying that they were working on a new version. It's been a while, I thought it had all fallen through.

Yamato being remade, more seasons of MCoG, Thundercats back - what next, more Ulysses 31?!

They could use the same voice actors even

Was a bit strange going from the actor voicing good-guy Ulysses to the not so good guy Mendoza.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 06:05 PM   #7
FreezeC77
Commodore

It's not surprising when you see a lot of remakes popping up... but to see a cartoon where I watched the final episode like 25 years ago come out with a honest to God *SEQUEL* which picks up exactly where the story left off from 25 years ago? That's pretty friggin awesome.

I wonder how it will be done to let new viewers get into the story since it certainly does seem to pick up where the first series left off. Esteban is talking about how the man at the mountain in the mask was his Father while he's talking to Mendoza. Esteban spent the entire series trying to find his Father only to finally meet him in the last episode and then his Father seemingly sacrificed himself to stop a nuclear meltdown of an ancient fusion reactor.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 06:18 PM   #8
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Haven't seen the original since I was a kid, but remember enjoying it. Can't help wondering if it was as fun as I remember, and whether it's possible to capture lightning in a bottle twice anyway. Oh well, nice that they're giving it a go.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Anyone on region 2, or multi-region, BlahDVD are currently knocking out the original series for £16.99 (including free P&P to the UK);

BlahDVD
Old June 7 2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'm a huge fan of this show and I anxiously waited for years for it to come out on DVD. I've been reading for several years about this production coming together (as well as a now defunct feature film). I can't watch the trailer while I'm at work but I'm look forward to seeing when I get home.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 05:00 PM   #11
T J
Commodore

Sorry for bringing this old thread back to life but I just wanted to let anyone who is interested know episode 1 and 2 aired of the new season 2 with regular airing starting in March. Very difficult to find online at the moment and only in French.

My first impressions, loved it! Also shocked how much French I was able to pick up, my wife was like, "Holy crap, since when do you understand French?!" LOL!

The animation flowed, the story was a nice starter. All the characters felt right and seeing the golden condor was great. There is even a great surprise regarding the condor, the design has most certainly been upgraded. I guessing the kids have had enough time to learn some nice hidden secrets about the condor.

It was great seeing new mcog in for the first time in almost 3 decades. Now for it to be dubbed in english, here is hoping they can get as much of the old cast back as possible for the voice acting, that would be the icing on the gold cake!

Last edited by T J; February 13 2013 at 01:09 AM.
T J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Incidentally, I was at a convention in Quebec last month, which featured Jackie Berger, the original French voice actress for Estevan in the 80s dub, as a Guest of Honor. She's not continuing in the role despite still having the chops to do it - the fandom was livid when they found out!

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2013, 10:16 PM   #13
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Damn that is too bad.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
T J
Commodore

Here are the first two episodes, check it out!

episode 1 says ep2 but it is #1

episode 2
Old February 14 2013, 05:05 PM   #15
Stephen!
Captain

Why are they imprisoned in a castle in the first episode? Are they now seen as fugitives or something?
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote