RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,116
Posts: 5,400,742
Members: 24,744
Currently online: 474
Newest member: Ohwowmelody

TrekToday headlines

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 4 2012, 03:36 PM   #751
superdeluxe
Captain
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I liked how they addressed that Osha did not want to go North.
__________________
Star Trek 2009 is Canon. It is in an Alternate Reality.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 04:05 PM   #752
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
You'd think they could've given some lines to Luwin to help clear up the matter.
Clearly they didn't want to, to keep House Bolton's treachery more of a surprise (they also eliminated most of this book's foreshadowing about Roose's general character).
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 11:47 PM   #753
FreezeC77
Commodore
 
FreezeC77's Avatar
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
Here, he's a fucking moron and doesn't merit an ounce of sympathy.
Ultimately, he's a fucking moron in both versions. In the books, he married some girl because he slept with her, completely ignoring the fact that he swore an oath and Frey men fought for him - and forsaking your oaths is not a very honorable thing to do IMO. Just dumb stuff a teenager might do.
In the book he was despondent when his brothers were seemingly killed and slept with a girl. Having already done that, he felt he had no other choice but to marry her, since he's taken her virginity.

In the show it's Robb quite consciously choosing to break his oath for no reason at all other than he feels like it.
I agree with your views on it. In the books Robb is at this time what 16 years old? Being King of the North with his Father dead... He leads an attack on the Westerling's keep and takes an arrow during it. Jeyne is the oldest daughter of the noble household and she nurses him and tends to his injury. While he's there he receives word that Bran and Rickon are dead. Jeyne comforts him, they sleep together and he marries her the very next door because of feeling he had dishonored her.

He attacked her home, captured it, she nurses him from injury he sustained while attacking her home... He then takes her virginity in her own home (not that she was resisting). But the circumstances are more understandable than what the tv show did.

They give him a foreign woman who comes across as being around the bend 'once or twice'.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 12:45 AM   #754
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

A penis is not an a gun you accidentally fire into a woman when you're not careful. Robb was pretty stupid in the books and the TV series, end of. It's true there's more forethought in him going after Talisa, but then, is this considerably older Robb the kind of man who'd randomly screw a girl and then decide he needs to marry her? I do wonder if part of the reason the plot was changed was to accomodate that he's quite obviously not sixteen.

But then, generally speaking, Robb is meant to be a character who has a natural gift for war but less than ideal judgement in political matters, leaving him as a man who both never lost a battle and also lost everything. The Talisa plot fits perfectly the man who'd innocently deliver Theon into the hands of his old family.

Not that I'm that wild about the Talisa story. Assuming she's part of that whole Tywin Lannister plan hinted in the books, how does it work? If both Robb and Tyrion end up betrayed by their beautiful foreign women 'cause Lord Tywin is pulling the strings it'll feel a little redundant.

Klaus wrote: View Post
So Arya's going to leave Westeros before the Red Wedding? Unless I'm misremembering, that's an arguably-important change for her motivation to go...
She's not. Jaqen offered to take her to Braavos, but she said she wants to find her sisters and brothers and mother and the rest of it. I'm assuming that means the show will just set her on the course towards Catelyn.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 02:18 AM   #755
Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Yeah, I misread the preview...
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 03:23 AM   #756
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Kegg wrote: View Post
It's true there's more forethought in him going after Talisa, but then, is this considerably older Robb the kind of man who'd randomly screw a girl and then decide he needs to marry her?
It doesn't really have anything to do with him being sixteen, it's a societal thing. He can either leave her a "ruined" woman or do the honourable thing and marry her, and because he's his father's son he chooses the latter.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 09:28 AM   #757
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
It doesn't really have anything to do with him being sixteen, it's a societal thing. He can either leave her a "ruined" woman
You skipped a beat - the 'ruining' of her honour to begin with, which has everything to do with him being sixteen. I'd assume if he was older he'd be less likely to sleep with unmarried noblewomen if he actually cared about their honour.

Again, you can't treat him having sex with her like a gun accidentally going off. It's something he did on purpose and while conscious.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 11:41 AM   #758
The Green Mushroom
Commander
 
Location: United States
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I wonder if we're going to get some scenes with Ramsay and Theon next season. I can't imagine the writers leaving him out of the show for the next two or three seasons.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I was less than pleased that they left out Ramsay Snow from the season has he seems--at least to me--to be far too important a character to get rid of or demote to extra. Especially since they had no trouble keeping Roose around--though I did think that maybe they were planning on combining the two characters into one.

But keeping the Theon character around next year makes sense for so many TV related reasons (keeping the actor with the show, keeping the character in the audiences' mind, etc) that I could easily see, and accept, the Ramsay and Reek show playing out over the next couple of years until we get to the DWD scenes in season five.
The Green Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 11:50 AM   #759
Scout101
Admiral
 
Scout101's Avatar
 
Location: Rhode Island, USA
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Will say that after watching him on TV, more sympathetic to Theon (yeah, he's a little shit, and did bad stuff, but still feel bad about his situation), so his later storyline is gonna sit a lot worse with me now than it did when reading....
__________________
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 01:40 PM   #760
Venardhi
Vice Admiral
 
Venardhi's Avatar
 
Location: Constant transit
Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Kegg wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
It doesn't really have anything to do with him being sixteen, it's a societal thing. He can either leave her a "ruined" woman
You skipped a beat - the 'ruining' of her honour to begin with, which has everything to do with him being sixteen. I'd assume if he was older he'd be less likely to sleep with unmarried noblewomen if he actually cared about their honour.

Again, you can't treat him having sex with her like a gun accidentally going off. It's something he did on purpose and while conscious.
Because no one has ever made a rash decision in a moment of weakness, especially not a teenage boy with a girl offering herself to him. I was there not too long ago, I remember very well how easy it was (and sometimes still is) to get caught up in those feelings. You act as if people are always rational.
__________________
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 02:14 PM   #761
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

The Green Mushroom wrote: View Post
Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I wonder if we're going to get some scenes with Ramsay and Theon next season. I can't imagine the writers leaving him out of the show for the next two or three seasons.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I was less than pleased that they left out Ramsay Snow from the season has he seems--at least to me--to be far too important a character to get rid of or demote to extra. Especially since they had no trouble keeping Roose around--though I did think that maybe they were planning on combining the two characters into one.

But keeping the Theon character around next year makes sense for so many TV related reasons (keeping the actor with the show, keeping the character in the audiences' mind, etc) that I could easily see, and accept, the Ramsay and Reek show playing out over the next couple of years until we get to the DWD scenes in season five.
I think they'll do what they did with Jaime this year - show him in several episodes, suffering at the hands of Ramsay, trying to escape, get caught, suffer some more. ADWD runs in parallel with AFFC and Theon's imprisonment actually starts much earlier. There's no need to make him disappear for two years.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 02:23 PM   #762
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Shurik wrote: View Post
I think they'll do what they did with Jaime this year - show him in several episodes, suffering at the hands of Ramsay, trying to escape, get caught, suffer some more. ADWD runs in parallel with AFFC and Theon's imprisonment actually starts much earlier. There's no need to make him disappear for two years.
They went out of their way to avoid introducing Ramsay this year, and there's been no word on casting him, so I suspect he actually may not show up until Season 5.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 02:56 PM   #763
Shurik
Fleet Captain
 
Shurik's Avatar
 
Location: Haifa, Israel
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Shurik wrote: View Post
I think they'll do what they did with Jaime this year - show him in several episodes, suffering at the hands of Ramsay, trying to escape, get caught, suffer some more. ADWD runs in parallel with AFFC and Theon's imprisonment actually starts much earlier. There's no need to make him disappear for two years.
They went out of their way to avoid introducing Ramsay this year, and there's been no word on casting him, so I suspect he actually may not show up until Season 5.
Roose mentioned his bastard a few times and the ending scene in Winterfell needs some explaining for the viewers who didn't read the books. May be you right and Ramsay is pushed forward like Balckfish was, but I still don't think that D&D would abandon this story for 2 seasons. Alfie Allen is a part of the main cast and had a significant and unfinished story this year, and IMO Alfie was great in it.
__________________
Chemistry is physics without a thought
Mathematics is physics without a purpose
Shurik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 03:02 PM   #764
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain
 
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Agreed. Ramsay needs to be in the next season for the sake of having a storyarc for Alfie Allen.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2012, 04:30 PM   #765
Kegg
Rear Admiral
 
Kegg's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland.
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Because no one has ever made a rash decision in a moment of weakness, especially not a teenage boy with a girl offering herself to him.
That's precisely my point - in the book he's a teenaged boy. Since the TV series Robb is a bit older (and very clearly not teenager), it's a less plausible thing for him to do.
__________________
'Spock is always right, even when he's wrong. It's the tone of voice, the supernatural reasonability; this is not a man like us; this is a god.'
- Philip K. Dick
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
a song of ice and fire, game of thrones

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.