Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 58 52.25%
Above Average 35 31.53%
Average 11 9.91%
Below Average 5 4.50%
Poor 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2012, 09:26 PM   #226
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
... what's going to happen with Elias, and more. I thought it was one of the best Trek novels we've had in awhile.
Honestly, at this point I'd be content to let Elias go considering how much work was put into Prynn moving on, or at least beginning the process of moving on.
Old June 3 2012, 11:42 PM   #227
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I'm about halfway through, and kids, this is REAL good.

It's been a long wait since Paths of Disharmony, but it's been worth it. Almost everything that bothered me about the first TP miniseries has been fixed; this is fantastic.
Old June 4 2012, 12:21 AM   #228
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Isn't it though Thrawn! I did like the original Typhon Pact books too with the exception of Seize the Fire. I love how this one threads everything together from the previous so well.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 12:22 AM   #229
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Sjaddix wrote: View Post
Prophets cannot predicted. Beyond the fact that they want Sisko alive.
But why would they spare Kira and Kasidy from meeting death on the Xhosa only to kill them shortly afterwards when Deep Space 9 is destroyed? It doesn't make sense.
Hard to tell assuming the Station is not completely destroyed maybe they only wanted one of them dead and they would both be dead in case number one.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 12:39 AM   #230
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

My copy apparently won't be here for almost a month. Woe.
Old June 4 2012, 02:43 AM   #231
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
Prophets cannot predicted. Beyond the fact that they want Sisko alive.
But why would they spare Kira and Kasidy from meeting death on the Xhosa only to kill them shortly afterwards when Deep Space 9 is destroyed? It doesn't make sense.
Hard to tell assuming the Station is not completely destroyed maybe they only wanted one of them dead and they would both be dead in case number one.
I don't see why the Prophets would care if the two women were killed on the Xhosa or on Deep Space 9: in both cases they'd be equally dead at very nearly the same time. The Prophets seem to be parsimonious with their visions, and granting a last-minute vision that didn't do anything noticeable to the outside world doesn't make narrative sense.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 06:24 AM   #232
ICW
Lieutenant Commander

Just finished the novel. Fantastic read! I do have some thoughts:

I do not believe DS9 will be destroyed, but if it is, I would be okay with it. Sometimes, we all need to move on from things we love the most - a common theme throughout the entire book (Sisko separating from Kassidy and Rebecca, Tenmei and Vaughn, Cenn Desca slowly getting over the Occupation, Worf's diminished racism towards the Romulan, etc...). It's a different Star Trek world and I'm fine with...not everything can be the same and not every character should stay the same but rather evolve...

I did feel slightly bad for Georid but DRG3 provided a logical explanation. I liked Indistinguishable from Magic but I wasn't crazy about LaForge's promotion without never going through the command track. Makes sense to gain the experience he needs as second office of the Enterprise before eventually becoming the captain of his own ship.

My prediction: I think DS9 survives, Sela, Tomolak, and the Breen will eventually be busted, and at the end of the Raise the Dawn we'll see a station in the Gamma Quadrant.

I haven't looked at the cover for Raise the Dawn very closely but I didn't notice any Federation/Starfleet markings on it. Perhaps after everything is cleared up between the Pact and the Accords, they'll build a station in the Gamma Quadrant in an effort to expand their join exploration...
ICW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 09:38 AM   #233
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Are there any images available for the Tzenkethi? I am curious what they look like.
Old June 4 2012, 10:42 AM   #234
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Amazon told me a month for Forgotten History, but I got it in half that time. There is hope!
Old June 4 2012, 10:51 AM   #235
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Amazon told me a month for Forgotten History, but I got it in half that time. There is hope!
I've preordered a few novels through The Book Depository, Storming Heaven arrived on its official US release date and Plagues of Nights arrived last Wednesday, so the day after. plus, it has free delivery and they are normally cheaper than Amazon.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 01:09 PM   #236
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I haven't read this but I'd be surprised if they blew up DS9, someone told me it concludes with Sisko coming out of the wormhole and he sees it explodes? Is it possible it's just a fake-out and he's actually still in the wormhole seeing what *could* happen?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 02:37 PM   #237
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I haven't read this but I'd be surprised if they blew up DS9, someone told me it concludes with Sisko coming out of the wormhole and he sees it explodes? Is it possible it's just a fake-out and he's actually still in the wormhole seeing what *could* happen?
From the description, no. We also know that there was going to be an explosion, regardless of attempts to mitigate it.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 03:11 PM   #238
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Well, he made it out of the wormhole, but many of us doubt the entire station exploded. Consensus seems to be the area where bombs were set goes off, destroying maybe a large chunk, but not the entire station. The blurb for next book even mentions Ro's name, and she was on the station, so she's not dead. And some stuff had happened right before with Kas and Kira that lends credence to them not being dead. I know you're not a fan of his, but it really was one of the best books in Trek I've read in awhile.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 04:34 PM   #239
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Dimesdan wrote: View Post

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
I've preordered a few novels through The Book Depository, Storming Heaven arrived on its official US release date and Plagues of Nights arrived last Wednesday, so the day after. plus, it has free delivery and they are normally cheaper than Amazon.
Thanks for the positive note, KingDaniel . And thanks for the advice, Dimesdan. I'll probably try preordering Fallen Gods, The Eternal Tide and Brinkmanship from The Book Depository.
Old June 4 2012, 06:41 PM   #240
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
plus, it has free delivery and they are normally cheaper than Amazon.
I wonder how long that'll last, since amazon bought book depository sometime late last year.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote