Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 58 52.25%
Above Average 35 31.53%
Average 11 9.91%
Below Average 5 4.50%
Poor 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 1 2012, 10:10 PM   #211
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

If Geordi had not been demoted, could he have been second officer? Or should I say, could Worf be first officer and have a subordinate out-rank him?

As for whether Geordi should be command track or not, we see a future in VGR where he is command track then we see a future in AGT and Countdown where is a civilian. Based on the erased VGR future, we have good reason to believe he would change to command track.
Old June 1 2012, 10:54 PM   #212
chris_masters5
Lieutenant Junior Grade

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
If Geordi had not been demoted, could he have been second officer? Or should I say, could Worf be first officer and have a subordinate out-rank him?
In my opinion rank doesn't always seem to matter for example Troi was promted to Commander in Season 7 while Worf was still a Lieutenant. Even though Worf had a lower rank I didn't see him as subordinate to Troi. Someone else could prove me wrong though.
chris_masters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 11:57 PM   #213
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

But Worf wasn't second officer, Data was. Of course Data was Lt cmdr so Troi out ranked him. Yet Data was still second officer.

However, look at Christine Vale who Riker got promoted because Vale didn't want to be lower in rank than Troi.

Funny how much discussion rank is generating.
Old June 2 2012, 02:26 AM   #214
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Then there is Spock saying Scotty is dead rather than lost. Lone Magpie made a point of saying that the editors wanted Scotty's fate unclear. Also, RBOE ended with Tomalek stepping down from the proconsul position, now he takes it back only to step in agian.

Why was it necessary to undo or change these points from previous books?
1. Spock said that Scotty is dead. That's a plausible enough conclusion based on the circumstances of Scotty's death, apparently trapped on a starship caught in the middle of a collapsing intergalactic spatial tunnel while already facing imminent death from natural causes. IFM left Scotty's fate unclear, with Spock himself saying only that sometimes Enterprise officers surprised everyone with their survival. Without any evidence to the contrary, he'd be justified in considering Scott dead.

2. Swallow himself said on this forum that he had forgotten about Ventel being proconsul when he wrote about Tomalak filling that position. George's reconciliation of the two, creating two proconsuls each with different responsibilties, is fine by me.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 07:34 AM   #215
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

Sci wrote: View Post
Truth wrote: View Post

Geordi's gotten plenty of attention in the TNG books the last several years. For an exploration of his ambivalence towards command, read A Time for War, A Time for Peace (2004) by Keith R.A. DeCandido.
He got a few pages in the time series , and a bit part where he stood up to picard the borg plot , the only real focus on him was IFM
You are severely understating the amount of attention Geordi received in the A Time to... novels, in Greater than the Sum, in Destiny, and in Paths of Disharmony. And an entire book dedicated to him in the form of Indistinguishable From Magic is more than any character save Picard, Beverly, and T'Rhyss have received.
Lets ask the question has he gotten laid yet?
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 08:13 AM   #216
rfmcdpei
Captain

Sjaddix wrote: View Post
Truth wrote: View Post
He got a few pages in the time series , and a bit part where he stood up to picard the borg plot , the only real focus on him was IFM
You are severely understating the amount of attention Geordi received in the A Time to... novels, in Greater than the Sum, in Destiny, and in Paths of Disharmony. And an entire book dedicated to him in the form of Indistinguishable From Magic is more than any character save Picard, Beverly, and T'Rhyss have received.
In IFM, it's strongly implied that he has developed an intimate relationship with Leah Brahms.
Old June 2 2012, 08:15 PM   #217
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I just started and maybe a quarter ways into it. I do not know what to make of the story, maybe it is too early to evaluate it.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 02:11 AM   #218
rfmcdpei
Captain

What I love about the story is the fact that no one intended the ending that we saw at the end of the book to come about. Different people acting for different reasons, most concerned with ensuring the survival of their own culture (not the destruction of their enemies), often taking care to try to ensure a minimum of unnecessary complications,ended up interacting at cross-purposes to produce ... well.

Old June 3 2012, 07:36 AM   #219
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post

In IFM, it's strongly implied that he has developed an intimate relationship with Leah Brahms.
Yeah and if he was TNG Show Riker that would be good enough but this is LaForge we are talking about
Old June 3 2012, 07:38 AM   #220
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
What I love about the story is the fact that no one intended the ending that we saw at the end of the book to come about. Different people acting for different reasons, most concerned with ensuring the survival of their own culture (not the destruction of their enemies), often taking care to try to ensure a minimum of unnecessary complications,ended up interacting at cross-purposes to produce ... well.

Prophets cannot predicted. Beyond the fact that they want Sisko alive.

And I can only imagine the fan rage if it did happen.
Old June 3 2012, 08:03 AM   #221
shanejayell
Captain

NOT READING THE SPOILER.

*lol*

About 1/3 through, liking it a LOT.

Old June 3 2012, 04:17 PM   #222
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just finished it. Incredible. One of the reasons why DRG3 is one of my favorite Trek writers. Political, thought-provoking, true to characters. I loved the first half of the book, expanding upon the events of the previous books from Typhon Pact from different POV's. In particular, I loved seeing the reactions of Kamemor as these events took place.

The last half came together into a wonderful cohesion of plot, the intensity building right up until the end. I think DRG3 was really setting some serious groundwork for what he does in future novels, and maybe even hopefully next year. The return of certain people in the Gamma Quadrant (and the questions that raises!), my own feelings on what's going to happen with Elias, and more. I thought it was one of the best Trek novels we've had in awhile.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 05:58 PM   #223
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
Just finished it. Incredible. One of the reasons why DRG3 is one of my favorite Trek writers. Political, thought-provoking, true to characters. I loved the first half of the book, expanding upon the events of the previous books from Typhon Pact from different POV's. In particular, I loved seeing the reactions of Kamemor as these events took place.

The last half came together into a wonderful cohesion of plot, the intensity building right up until the end. I think DRG3 was really setting some serious groundwork for what he does in future novels, and maybe even hopefully next year. The return of certain people in the Gamma Quadrant (and the questions that raises!), my own feelings on what's going to happen with Elias, and more. I thought it was one of the best Trek novels we've had in awhile.
Wow, this sounds like one awesome book! I'm tempted to read it soon rather than wait to get to it in my readthrough.
Hopefully, Vaughn is still alive rather than dying.
Now, I must ask, does it beat the very epic Serpents Among The Ruins?
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 06:33 PM   #224
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I'm currently on page 179, I got it Wednesday and started then. It's an ok read so far with a couple of stand out scenes so far, certainly not the best thing since x though and to be honest, it's rather mediocre.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 08:36 PM   #225
rfmcdpei
Captain

Prophets cannot predicted. Beyond the fact that they want Sisko alive.
But why would they spare Kira and Kasidy from meeting death on the Xhosa only to kill them shortly afterwards when Deep Space 9 is destroyed? It doesn't make sense.