Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 29 2012, 08:22 PM   #181
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

I wonder how badly Justin Turner is hurt. It's been awhile since I saw somebody in that much pain on a baseball field.

Edit: Roy Oswalt signs with Rangers. Linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; May 29 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 11:48 AM   #182
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

He's on the disable list with the rolled ankle, I'm worried it will be like Ike Davis last year and we'll never see him again this year. This is like loosing Daniel Murphy last year, who was in so much pain.

On the Mets overall, I couldn't be happier with the way they are playing. It's a nice change, getting very good pitching with timely hitting. I don't know how long it will last but I'm here for the ride until the wheels fall off.

Both the AL East and NL East has all its teams above .500. So some great baseball is being played all around.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
I wonder how badly Justin Turner is hurt. It's been awhile since I saw somebody in that much pain on a baseball field.

Edit: Roy Oswalt signs with Rangers. Linky

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 02:18 PM   #183
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Hawk totally loses his shit...again... linky
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Old May 31 2012, 11:33 PM   #184
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

This really perturbed me, several pitchers ave been tossed for throwing "behind" a hitter. I don't care if it was intentional or not, the batter was not hit by the pitch. So the pitcher shouldn't have been ejected. It's up to the batter, with his bat or opposing pitcher to hold the opposing team responsible.

Old June 1 2012, 04:09 AM   #185
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

It was just so fucking hilarious listening to Hawk go apeshit like that, as if the pitcher had just shot his grandmother or something.

And now, the aftermath:

"First of all I still have a headache because I got so upset yesterday. I took four Advil after that inning was over and then I had to take four more on the plane and then when I got home last night I had to take four more. Also when I got up this morning I had to take four more. "

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; June 1 2012 at 04:35 PM.
Old June 2 2012, 02:55 AM   #186
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

Way to go Johan Santana!!! The first Mets NO-HITTER!!!
Old June 2 2012, 03:35 AM   #187
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I can't believe it, I had tickets to tonight's Mets game but had to give them up because I'm in North Carolina. Of course, it would happen this way. I was watching on my iPad from the hotel I'm staying at, otherwise I would have missed it. I'm in Hickory NC, a few exits away from where they filmed a good portion of the Hunger Games, a pretty neat location if I do say so.

Old June 2 2012, 04:12 AM   #188
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

John Mayberry Jr. makes a crazy awesome catch to save the Phillies victory. I assume the No-Hitter will get number one in the top ten, but seriously keep an eye out for it, that thing was awesome.
Old June 2 2012, 01:30 PM   #189
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Way to go Johan Santana!!! The first Mets NO-HITTER!!!
I saw that news this morning and I kicked myself for not staying up to to watch the end.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 05:02 PM   #190
Pegaritaville
Vice Admiral

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
John Mayberry Jr. makes a crazy awesome catch to save the Phillies victory. I assume the No-Hitter will get number one in the top ten, but seriously keep an eye out for it, that thing was awesome.
That was a great catch. I'd put it above the no-hitter. Especially since Santana's no-hitter had a little help from a blown call.
Pegaritaville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 05:33 PM   #191
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

I don't really give two hoots about New York sports, but Mets fans really deserved that no-hitter after so many years of utter incompetence, mismanagement and idiocy at the ownership level, and complete insanity at the organizational level. Good for the Mets, and good for Johan Santana -- he's one of the genuinely good guys in baseball.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 06:32 PM   #192
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post
That was a great catch. I'd put it above the no-hitter. Especially since Santana's no-hitter had a little help from a blown call.
Sadly enough, the play didn't even make the top 10.

For those who want to watch it, it's about 1:14 in here

Although Papplebon's quote might be right. He made an easy play look hard (he badly misread it at first, but his athleticism and freakishly long arms compensated for it). Still, it was a pretty catch.
Old June 3 2012, 12:29 PM   #193
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I wouldn't call that a blown call more of a missed call. A blown call intimates that it was painfully obvious to everyone what happen. Watched in normal speed you don't see the chalk fly, only in the super slow-mo do you. Most no-hitters and perfect games are usually helped with a few friendly calls, some great catches and an opposing team that just flew in for the series.

Pegaritaville wrote: View Post

Old June 3 2012, 04:02 PM   #194
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call that a blown call more of a missed call. A blown call intimates that it was painfully obvious to everyone what happen. Watched in normal speed you don't see the chalk fly, only in the super slow-mo do you.
It's a pretty definitively blown call:

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, because fuck the Cardinals always and forever and Johan Santana owns bones, but let's call a spade a spade -- Adrian Johnson blew it.

Most no-hitters and perfect games are usually helped with a few friendly calls, some great catches and an opposing team that just flew in for the series.
While I disagree with your last point (I don't quite get what you're saying -- that a no-hitter or a perfect game happens because the other team is phoning it in?), your first point is generally correct. Ever since the Jim Joyce incident, any call that the umpire thinks is close or doesn't know on an in-progress no-hitter from about the fifth on is going to go in favor of the pitcher. That's just how it's going to be until replay gets instituted on boundary and base calls.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 11:16 PM   #195
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I was only arguing semantics. A blown vs a missed call, I totally agree that it was a hit. My contention is that a blown call is something that is painfully obvious to everyone and a missed call is something that you need super slow motion to really tell and even then it's tough.

My last point was that a team just flying in for a series is more run down and more likely to have something like a no-hitter. No imperial data for that, just a maybe factor.

Timby wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I wouldn't call that a blown call more of a missed call. A blown call intimates that it was painfully obvious to everyone what happen. Watched in normal speed you don't see the chalk fly, only in the super slow-mo do you.
It's a pretty definitively blown call:

It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things, because fuck the Cardinals always and forever and Johan Santana owns bones, but let's call a spade a spade -- Adrian Johnson blew it.

Most no-hitters and perfect games are usually helped with a few friendly calls, some great catches and an opposing team that just flew in for the series.
While I disagree with your last point (I don't quite get what you're saying -- that a no-hitter or a perfect game happens because the other team is phoning it in?), your first point is generally correct. Ever since the Jim Joyce incident, any call that the umpire thinks is close or doesn't know on an in-progress no-hitter from about the fifth on is going to go in favor of the pitcher. That's just how it's going to be until replay gets instituted on boundary and base calls.