Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 2 2012, 01:04 PM   #4336
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

At least the European qualifying groups for the WC are still meaningful to a degree. The qualifiers for the European Championships from here on out now that the finals have been expanded are near-pointless. With the top 2 from each group qualifying it makes it almost impossible for the likes of France, England and Portugal, who've failed previously, to fail again.

Still, at least Scotland and the other home nations might have a chance of scraping through again now......
Old June 2 2012, 01:22 PM   #4337
Jax
Admiral

Lambert and Rodgers are mental...A declining Liverpool but the entire fanbase still think its the 1980's so they will force him out within 18 months. Norwich could easily become a stable PL team, while Villa are heading for the exit door. I'd like to see Martinez return to Swansea now and I think Norwich would do well to knick Holloway from Blackpool as his style of football suits them.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received

Last edited by Jax; June 2 2012 at 04:02 PM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 12:15 PM   #4338
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

By all means, so long they quit with this 'we want Cardiff's manager because he used to play for us and was really good' business.

Rodgers is considerably less mad than Lambert - at least Liverpool is still a prestige job. There was no massive reason I can see to ditch a Norwich on the up who worship him to join a sinking Villa. I fancy Swansea, Norwich and Liverpool to all really struggle next season following these changes. Villa will be fine with Lambert though.

I turned the England friendly off after about 25 minutes. I'm guessing it never got any better?
Old June 3 2012, 03:23 PM   #4339
Jax
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
I turned the England friendly off after about 25 minutes. I'm guessing it never got any better?
Apart from some decent defending, England never got going but Welbeck's goal was top class. Looks like Roy is going to use Chelsea's tactics in Euro 2012. Speaking of which, think we need a Euro 2012 thread (i'll shall get on it)

Euro 2012 thread.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received

Last edited by Jax; June 3 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old June 6 2012, 11:16 AM   #4340
Starkers
Admiral

And the manager merry go around continues! Hughton has been allowed to talk to Norwich.

Crap just seen the Cardiff City news!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 11:41 AM   #4341
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

All Cardiff fans should either just buy the blue kit or only buy retro blue kits with the bluebird.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 11:48 AM   #4342
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, be funny to see an entire stadium in blue shirts!

ah well football sells another little bit of its soul.
Old June 6 2012, 06:40 PM   #4343
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Anyone who immediately goes out and buys the red one is a total idiot. At least they're reasonably nice kits I suppose. I quite like them at any rate.... the badge is really boring though.

Oh well. It'll be really weird seeing them come out of the tunnel for the first time but let's see where it all goes. I expect we'll be blue again soon enough if it all goes to shit. It does mean I have to take down my desktop wallpaper though (the Austrian team's fans and their banner )
Old June 14 2012, 04:22 PM   #4344
Starkers
Admiral

So Spurs are looking for a new manager, whilst Harry will be looking for a club with a big bank balance!
Old June 14 2012, 10:08 PM   #4345
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
So Spurs are looking for a new manager, whilst Harry will be looking for a club with a big bank balance!
Spurs will implode after this, Daniel Levy overplayed his hand IMO and the top players WILL NOT be happy, there was serious love for Harry at that club.
Old June 15 2012, 10:05 AM   #4346
Starkers
Admiral

But top players were already not happy? Defoe's been making noises about moving on, and he isn't the only one, and that's with Harry there!

What Spurs could do with now is a manager with his eye on the future rather than one who's skills are based around results now, wheeling and dealing and buying success.

Could be Moyes' chance at last...
Old June 15 2012, 10:19 AM   #4347
Camren
Commodore

Edit: Wrong footie thread
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2012, 01:16 AM   #4348
Jax
Admiral

Am a little more excited for Team GB now because they can't be any worser than ENGLAND in the Euro's plus there all night games so I can watch them. We know that Richards, Giggs and Bellamy will be in it and more rumors show Scott Sinclair, Daniel Sturridge (who will be our main striker), Aaron Ramsey and Tom Cleverley will be in it too. Its a pity that Bale n Walker are both out though but I hope our starting 11 might be a little like this...

Butland

Gunter, Richards , Taylor, Gibbs

Sinclair, Allen, Giggs, Cleverley, Bellamy

Sturridge
Old July 2 2012, 08:39 PM   #4349
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Surprised to see Marvin Sordell in that squad - did he even kick a ball for Bolton after leaving Watford last season? Speaking of Watford, exciting times there with the takeover and Zola's imminent appointment.

And speaking of takeovers.... Forest with some money? Typical of them to get embroiled in a tapping up scandal at the same time eh?

God August 17th can't come quick enough already!
Old July 4 2012, 09:44 AM   #4350
Starkers
Admiral

Exciting times for Watford? Remind me what happened to the last team Zola managed, or in fact how succesful the last Italian international who managed Watford was?

And I hope Dyche takes them to the cleaners!

And yeah soon Forest will have money again, whilst we're in the process of selling one of our best players for peanuts, having already lost our other top player last season to a possibly career ending injury. Having bought in some half decent players last summer and looking like we were building a good team, we're back to selling players off and scrabbling around for replacements in the bargain bin. Now fair dos, Nige has proven quite an adept bargain hunter (at times) but eventually we're going to run out of luck.

I dunno, if we sign some players I might start getting positive again, but at the moment I find I'm not much looking forward to next season. Meanwhile Forest will potentially go from a team in horrendous debt who were nearly relegated to a team with cash who might be tilting at the play offs (though if Darren Ferguson is there idea of the manager to do that they may not do very well.)

Truly Jimmy Greaves was right...