TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 2 2012, 05:20 PM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Robin in a Batman movie

Who is that as Robin? I like that costume design, it is recognizably Robin, but very much fits the Nolanverse style.
Old June 2 2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

"Robin" looks like the kid in school who would always dump your books with the emo hairstyle. I want to punch him in the face more than I want to root for him as a hero.
Old June 2 2012, 05:25 PM   #33
the G-man
Commodore

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Nolanverse Robin should, IMHO, be what SELMA was in Time Trax. A hologram companion/information archive. I even came up with the meaning...

Ohhh, love that idea. Remember the Onstar commercial with the Batmobile? That's what your idea reminds me of.
It reminds you of that and not Jarvis in Iron Man? Because that's what it's going to remind every other person who sees the movie of.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 05:35 PM   #34
Agent Richard07
Retired

JD wrote: View Post
Who is that as Robin?
I don't know. I just found the pic somewhere and thought it was pretty good.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 06:31 PM   #35
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

The entire concept of Batman taking on a child (!) protege is flawed, to say nothing of the identity/costume of "Robin".

Various media have tried to legitimize the concept. Some comic writers have done a passable job (Loeb/Sale for instance, among others), artists and video games have made his costume seem less ridiculous (Arkham City for example), but none of them have transcended what's a flawed overall concept.

I'm sure someone will attempt it with the next reboot, but I'd rather they just let the character disappear into oblivion.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 06:42 PM   #36
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
The Nolanverse Robin should, IMHO, be what SELMA was in Time Trax. A hologram companion/information archive. I even came up with the meaning...

Ohhh, love that idea. Remember the Onstar commercial with the Batmobile? That's what your idea reminds me of.
It reminds you of that and not Jarvis in Iron Man? Because that's what it's going to remind every other person who sees the movie of.

Actually, to be honest, Jarvis didn't even come to mind.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 07:06 PM   #37
Pingfah
Admiral

Any kid standing next to Batman is going to look like a useless douche by comparison. He especially would not have worked in a Nolan movie. The idea that a kid with no powers could be of any use to a nutter in a bulletproof suit, is even more absurd than the concept of Batman itself.
Old June 2 2012, 07:45 PM   #38
Gojira
Commodore

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Great picture!! I thinks this shows that Robin could really work in the Nolan universe. Too bad we won't be seeing this.

I just hope when they reboot Batman they include Robin at some point.

What I would like to see is a Batman movie set in the 1930s or 1940s maybe that would make Robin more plausible for those that don't think he should be included.
Old June 2 2012, 07:53 PM   #39
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

I don't think a Batman set in the 30s or 40s would work for me (it'd make the Bat-technology a bit less plausible and more out of reach.) But I'd like to see it in the present with Gotham having a stylized look of a gothic 1930s/1940s. Just like I'd like to see a Superman movie set in the present but also with style inspiration of mid-century Americana.
Old June 2 2012, 08:08 PM   #40
Gojira
Commodore

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I don't think a Batman set in the 30s or 40s would work for me (it'd make the Bat-technology a bit less plausible and more out of reach.) But I'd like to see it in the present with Gotham having a stylized look of a gothic 1930s/1940s. Just like I'd like to see a Superman movie set in the present but also with style inspiration of mid-century Americana.
I would agree to that too.
Old June 2 2012, 08:14 PM   #41
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Bloody hell, that bat-outfit is awful.

Also, that Robin looks like a Twilight emo-douche.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 08:15 PM   #42
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747

Shazam! wrote: View Post

Also, that Robin looks like as Twilight emo-douche.
Indeed he does. Though I'm pretty sure the batsuit is an unaltered Nolan-verse one.
Old June 2 2012, 08:33 PM   #43
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Kevin J. Anderson wrote a really good book that featured both Superman and Batman meeting each other for the first time and set it in the 50's, with the cold war being a major component. It stripped everything back to its roots and felt more down-to-earth. The technology felt more plausible too. In a way, it felt a bit like a Superman and Batman reboot, with the Batman part feeling quite a bit like what we got with Nolan's Batman Begins. It was a fun refreshing read.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 09:12 PM   #44
Agent Richard07
Retired

Also, that Robin looks like as Twilight emo-douche.
Indeed he does. Though I'm pretty sure the batsuit is an unaltered Nolan-verse one.
From what I can tell, the batsuit is unaltered while the Robin suit is a mirrored colorized version of the batsuit with the embossed bat symbol removed. And I'm not too fond of the suit either. It's too busy.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 09:41 PM   #45
Gojira
Commodore

Also, that Robin looks like a Twilight emo-douche.
I disagree. I think he looks pretty cool. Yeah I am not too crazy about the Batsuit, it is a bit busy.