Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old June 1 2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

Revisiting the films...

I've revisited TNG, TOS and a number of other shows, but it's been quite sometime since I've gone back to the Trek films.

I liked them all in varying degrees when they were released, but over time I became jaded with some of them. Now it's been quite a few years.

So I think I'll revisit them. Well, most of them anyway. Candidly I was never really fond of the TNG films. The first two had some merit, but I couldn't find anything to like in the last two. And, of course, I won't be bothering with ST09. There's only so much I can endure.

And so:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (Director's Edition)
Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan (Director's Edition)
Star Trek III: The Search For Spock
Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek: Generations
Star Trek: First Contact

Stay tuned...
Old June 1 2012, 03:48 AM   #2
Gojira
Commodore

Re: Revisiting the films...

It will be interesting to read your perspectives. I just got t through watching all of them myself.
Old June 1 2012, 05:49 AM   #3
Lord Garth
Captain

It's your revist but, for the sake of completeness (and if you're open to suggestions), maybe you could provide reviews of INS and NEM based on what you remember?

That way you'd have provided a complete overview of all 10 pre-reboot movies and can compare the TOS films as a whole against the TNG films as a whole. It would be the TV equivalent of comparing one "season" to another.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 01:24 PM   #4
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

I'd go for the Theatrical version of TWOK - far superior. As for TMP, I'd watch the DE and the Theatrical for comparative purposes - personally, I prefer the original in this case also.
Old June 1 2012, 08:04 PM   #5
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
As for TMP, I'd watch the DE and the Theatrical for comparative purposes - personally, I prefer the original in this case also.
Why?
Old June 1 2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Warped9
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
As for TMP, I'd watch the DE and the Theatrical for comparative purposes - personally, I prefer the original in this case also.
Why?
Thats what I was thinking. I have the DE ready to go so why would I go out of my way to hunt down a theatrical version that I felt was terribly flawed?
Old June 1 2012, 10:08 PM   #7
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Why?
As already stated - for comparative purposes.
Old June 1 2012, 10:10 PM   #8
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Why?
Thats what I was thinking. I have the DE ready to go so why would I go out of my way to hunt down a theatrical version that I felt was terribly flawed?
OK, that's good - go with the DE and forgo the hunt.
Old June 1 2012, 10:52 PM   #9
Warped9
Admiral

I've seen the theatrical version at least twice (way back when) and the ABC TV extended version at least twice. Then the DE came along and I thought, Whoa, what a difference!

The DE isn't perfect (nothing ever is really), but if this is what we'd gotten in 1979 I think the film would have taken less flak.
Old June 2 2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Gojira
Commodore

I have not seen the theatrical cut of TMP in decades. I do love the DE but I would love to see the theatrical cut of TMP some day.

What is the difference between the theatrical cut of TWOK and Director's cut?
Old June 2 2012, 02:55 AM   #11
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Why?
As already stated - for comparative purposes.
I meant why you prefer it.
Old June 2 2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Mage
Commodore

Kinda odd that you'd go to such lenghts to share your opinion on the movies, but just don't watch three of them. And you even make it sound as fact instead of opinion that they are bad. You may not like them, and that's fine, but please state it as opinion instead of fact. Plenty of people on this forum that love INS, NEM and Trek09, so stating as a fact that they are terrible makes no sense.
Old June 2 2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Warped9
Admiral

Mage wrote: View Post
Kinda odd that you'd go to such lenghts to share your opinion on the movies, but just don't watch three of them. And you even make it sound as fact instead of opinion that they are bad. You may not like them, and that's fine, but please state it as opinion instead of fact. Plenty of people on this forum that love INS, NEM and Trek09, so stating as a fact that they are terrible makes no sense.
This is an accusation often thrown around on message boards: an opinion offered as fact. We share our opinions no matter what they might be based upon. If we are sharing a fact then we should be citing a source to back it up.

Today I'm going to start watching the films and then I'll be sharing my opinion. If someone perceives that as being offered a fact then thats their problem and not mine.

I've seen INS and NEM and there wasn't one thing I liked about either. I thought they were throughly stupid works. They might have been made passable as one hour television episodes, but certainly not as padded out two hour movies. To revisit something there has to be at least something I liked in it even if overall I didn't think much of it previously. I'm certainly not going to bother revisiting something I disliked thoroughly.

The same applies to ST09. I've seen it twice and over the past few years I've stated numerous times how much I disliked the film and what I disliked about it. And so what would be the point of revising something I detested?

Last edited by Warped9; June 2 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Warped9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 01:30 PM   #14
Mage
Commodore

And, of course, I won't be bothering with ST09. There's only so much I can endure.
This statement. You make it sound as a fact that ST09 sucks, not an opinion. Something that's happening on the forum a lot lately I'm afraid. People have an opinion, but instead of saying 'I think ST09 was bad' or 'I feel ST09 was a bad film', people use statement as 'ST09 is horrible' or 'ST09 is terrible'. Using the word 'is' does not imply opinion, it implies fact.
Old June 2 2012, 01:36 PM   #15
Gojira
Commodore

Mage wrote: View Post
And, of course, I won't be bothering with ST09. There's only so much I can endure.
This statement. You make it sound as a fact that ST09 sucks, not an opinion. Something that's happening on the forum a lot lately I'm afraid. People have an opinion, but instead of saying 'I think ST09 was bad' or 'I feel ST09 was a bad film', people use statement as 'ST09 is horrible' or 'ST09 is terrible'. Using the word 'is' does not imply opinion, it implies fact.
Thank you! I am glad someone else understands!