Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 1 2012, 10:36 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: New UK (& Other?) Partwork - Official Star Trek Starship Collectio

Pardon me, but if this is about ship miniatures, then wouldn't it get more attention in a forum like General Trek Discussion or Fan Art, maybe?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 10:47 PM   #17
chris_masters5
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Christopher wrote: View Post
Pardon me, but if this is about ship miniatures, then wouldn't it get more attention in a forum like General Trek Discussion or Fan Art, maybe?
I see your point - however there is a magazine that comes with the ship miniature - technically literature I suppose??

http://startrek-starships.com/magazine-st.html
chris_masters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 11:07 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

But it's a magazine for collectors, so it's still targeted at the modeling/tech/gaming/art audience more than the literature audience. So many of the TrekBBS patrons who'd be interested in this merchandise won't get to find out about it as long as this thread is in Trek Lit instead of the forums they frequent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 11:32 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Mr. Domino wrote: View Post
Living in America sucks on occasion.
Find yourself some reliable international penpals! Invaluable, esp. when eBay brought in their "Paypal purchases can only be sent to the validated address shown on the buyer's account" rule.

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
you sometimes wound up with some bugger who orders it, collects the first dozen or so and then stops coming in and doesn't even phone and cancel the order so you wind up with 4 issues hanging about hoping someone will either randomly buy it if you shove it on the shelf
Yep. I moved suburbs during the long run of the GE Fabbri "Star Trek Fact Files" and it was very tricky trying to get a local newsagent who'd restart my collecting at a mid point. My original newsagent was so diligent on my behalf. I had several hair-raising weeks trying to predict exactly how much notice to give the first guy, when the new order would kick in, and how long I had to try random shops all over Sydney for one-off shelf purchases.

I was chased out of the shop by one aggro owner! He refuses to pull any partworks because of bad experiences, being left with so many issues belonging to standing order customers who simply vanish. (Or return after a six-month absence and scream, "Where are all my issues?") He used to buy five only copies of each new partwork (after the first few issues), put them on the shelf and "When they are gone, they are gone". The pages would fall off the rubbery pad binding, they'd get severely dog-eared... A nightmare. I very rarely enter his shop, even twelve years later.

I have noticed that more recent partworks do strongly encourage individual subscriptions.

So many of the TrekBBS patrons who'd be interested in this merchandise won't get to find out about it as long as this thread is in Trek Lit instead of the forums they frequent.
And vice versa, if it was only over there! I never go to the Tech sections, and often forget about General.

Sometimes there's a valid case for cross-postings, or at least a redirection URL.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 11:48 PM   #20
Kinggodzillak
Commander

I work in a WHSmith myself and we've not had any. Is it possible this is just a trial launch in a small area? That sometimes happens with partworks, just to test the waters before a national launch...
Kinggodzillak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 12:15 AM   #21
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

No. Is that the only reason you've come in here Chris?

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 12:33 AM   #22
8of5
Fleet Captain

View 8of5's Twitter Profile

Trek Survivor wrote: View Post
I got my copy of #1 of the Starships Collection from WH Smith in Swindon (Wiltshire). Down the road in Didcot (Oxfordshire) they hadn't heard of it, so I am starting to wonder if this is on a similar only-certain-counties type thing!?
Think so, no luck up in Lincoln.
Old June 6 2012, 12:33 PM   #23
Trek Survivor
Captain

Meh, I posted it here because I frequent this part of Trek BBS most of all; have never been in Fan Art, and it didn't seem appropriate for "General Trek Discussion".

And the magazine, I believe, qualifies it!

Oh, and for those that have got it, be careful putting the ship on its supplied stand! Maybe it was late and I was tired, but it wasn't easy!
Old June 7 2012, 03:14 PM   #24
Starkers
Admiral

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
I work in a WHSmith myself and we've not had any. Is it possible this is just a trial launch in a small area? That sometimes happens with partworks, just to test the waters before a national launch...
That seems to be the case, I asked in Forbidden Planet in nottingham Tuesday and the guy hadn't heard about it (though he was very interested once I told him) he said it was probably being trialed in one area like you said.

This does explain why there haven't been ads on the telly at least! I did wonder if I was going mad for a while.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I got my copy of #1 of the Starships Collection from WH Smith in Swindon (Wiltshire). Down the road in Didcot (Oxfordshire) they hadn't heard of it, so I am starting to wonder if this is on a similar only-certain-counties type thing!?
It may just be a Swindon thing then and damned if I'm going to Swindon for this.

I've been into the Smiths in Bath and Chippenham, asked for the magazine and both times, the GA hadn't a clue as to what I was on about.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2012, 12:00 AM   #26
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Eaglemoss is the company behind the Classic Marvel Figurine Collection, the DC Chess Collection, and many more partwork model-type releases.
Ah, and Memory Alpha says, "Formed in 2011 from the merger of Eaglemoss Publications and GE Fabbri, the company focuses on 'partwork' magazines."

IIRC, GE Fabbri didn't have much of a web presence either. However, there is now an online shop, and a "notify me by email" facility, which would be a way to keep tabs on a wider UK release.
http://eaglemoss.com/
Old June 10 2012, 03:03 PM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Kinggodzillak wrote: View Post
I've tried 3 of my local WHSmith branches, none of them have it. But as you say sometimes partworks initially come out in a limited area before going national.

And as there have been no ads that I've seen this might be the case. As you would think the best place to place the ad would be around ST and other Sci-Fi shows.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 04:31 AM   #28
Technobuilder
Commodore

I live in the US, so I sadly can't get in on this offer... which is a shame really, because I have disposible income for the first time in many years and have always wanted some nice Star Trek Ship Models to replace the Joy I had from the Mirco Machines Days.

I recaptured some of that fun with the DieCast BSG ships... never did get them all though, bugger all they were hard to find.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2012, 04:57 AM   #29
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
I have disposible income for the first time in many years and have always wanted some nice Star Trek Ship Models to replace the Joy I had from the Mirco Machines Days.
Hero Clix ships?:

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=i...eroclix&page=1
Old June 15 2012, 03:07 PM   #30
Mr. Domino
Lieutenant

The problem with those is both the lack of models for anyone but Feds and Klinks at this point, and the teeny-weeny scale. Plus, all the sculpts there are just painted versions of the ships from Star Trek: Fleet Captains, which, unlike the HeroClix game, is an excellent Trek-themed strategy game. I bought Fleet Captains like a good little fanboy, but then when they told me to buy the exact same ships again, I told them to smeg off.

I'll likely just end up paying the exorbitant prices to get them whenever they come across Diamond.
Mr. Domino is offline   Reply With Quote