Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old June 1 2012, 04:41 AM   #1891
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Lots of minor additions in this weeks snapshot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E94oA...eature=g-all-u
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; June 1 2012 at 10:36 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 05:05 AM   #1892
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Wow, all that stuff looks pretty wicked.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 09:38 AM   #1893
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Ohhh, I like the idea of the lava buckets not destroying the buckets. This should make it much easier deal with.

Not so sure what to think about the max enchantment level being 30 if they're making it easier for people to level up though.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 03:22 PM   #1894
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm glad they've finally added XP for mining minerals and ores, because for a game that's predominantly about mining and building, having an XP/enchanting system solely based on combat was silly. It still needs balancing, but I think they're on the right track.

The new jungle temples are good, they remind me of Canopy Carnage, but they still need to make the loot more valuable. A handful of diamonds and iron ingots aren't to be sniffed at, but enchanted tools and armour would be more appropriate and RPG-like.
Old June 1 2012, 04:06 PM   #1895
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
I'm glad they've finally added XP for mining minerals and ores, because for a game that's predominantly about mining and building, having an XP/enchanting system solely based on combat was silly. It still needs balancing, but I think they're on the right track.

The new jungle temples are good, they remind me of Canopy Carnage, but they still need to make the loot more valuable. A handful of diamonds and iron ingots aren't to be sniffed at, but enchanted tools and armour would be more appropriate and RPG-like.
Yeah, I thought that was kind of funny because I just put a mod in place on the server to do the same thing. Guess we won't have to keep it for very long...
My blog
Old June 2 2012, 03:09 AM   #1896
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Not to mention, Ben, gold. Gold is pretty much only useful in building powered rails, and any weapons you make from it are pretty much useless. They need to figure out more uses for Gold.

I still would have liked skills more than enchanted items. You know, skills that stay with you over the course of the game rather than relying on weapons that eventually break. They could even have skills that affect whatever weapon or tool you're using. And skills would have made more sense in the long-run and made players more unique in their choices of skills. As random as the enchants are, there aren't that many variations especially if you're at the max level. Everything about them eventually end up the same.
Old June 2 2012, 09:03 AM   #1897
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Skills start leading in the direction of making the game more complicated than I'd like. I don't want them to add much more, honestly.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 03:52 PM   #1898
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of the idea of permanent skills tied to XP, I liked the natural levelling system of upgrading from wood to stone to iron to diamond, and when they first introduced XP levels I feared they'd mess things up. I actually think the enchanting system is a nice compliment to the existing game mechanics, but it was so poorly balanced that it rewarded people more for not playing the game (by going AFK at an XP farm) than for playing it.
Old June 2 2012, 04:13 PM   #1899
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I'm not a fan of the idea of permanent skills tied to XP, I liked the natural levelling system of upgrading from wood to stone to iron to diamond, and when they first introduced XP levels I feared they'd mess things up. I actually think the enchanting system is a nice compliment to the existing game mechanics, but it was so poorly balanced that it rewarded people more for not playing the game (by going AFK at an XP farm) than for playing it.
Is it still possible to have an AFK XP farm? I thought you only got XP if you struck the blows yourself--not if a a machine did it for you, or the mob died from falling/drowning.
My blog
Old June 2 2012, 04:36 PM   #1900
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah, it's possible. My zombie XP farm causes the zombies to fall 22 blocks so they're only 1-3 punches away from death (a few die in the fall for some reason). I let them build up for half an hour or so, and when I come back there's hundreds of zombies waiting to be punched in the knees. I could also use splash potions on them to kill the whole group in one go, but I haven't tested that yet.
Old June 2 2012, 05:05 PM   #1901
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Yeah, it's possible. My zombie XP farm causes the zombies to fall 22 blocks so they're only 1-3 punches away from death (a few die in the fall for some reason). I let them build up for half an hour or so, and when I come back there's hundreds of zombies waiting to be punched in the knees. I could also use splash potions on them to kill the whole group in one go, but I haven't tested that yet.
Ah, but you still have to attack them yourself to get the XP. I suppose the traps do make it a bit too easy.

On the other hand, people have been exploiting whatever game mechanics are available since day one.
My blog
Old June 2 2012, 06:49 PM   #1902
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

True enough, Ben. I suppose I'm just not a big fan of enchantments in general.
Old June 2 2012, 06:56 PM   #1903
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

I only ever play in creative mode, I just like building stuff :P

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 04:04 AM   #1904
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I hear ya. Though I'm more a fan of exploring and mining myself.

Grrrr. Finally in the mood to play tonight and the game server is down.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; June 3 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 05:15 AM   #1905
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

I know right... Still down... ALL down...