RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,346
Posts: 5,354,089
Members: 24,620
Currently online: 461
Newest member: StarTrekSteve

TrekToday headlines

Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 58 52.25%
Above Average 35 31.53%
Average 11 9.91%
Below Average 5 4.50%
Poor 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 1 2012, 12:18 PM   #196
Angstromdweller
Lieutenant
 
Location: Sweden
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

JD wrote: View Post
Who was Voyager's second officer? Tuvok?
As far as I know, yes. After all, he was the one who took over command in Resolutions when they left Janeway and Chakotay behind.
__________________
Angstromdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 01:37 PM   #197
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

The novel itself was fantastic. Up until the last line.

It really did do a lot to repair the damage and neglect a lot of us have felt for DS9 in recent years. I really liked the book the whole way through.

That last line though...

*Very Long Sigh*

If they don't retcon that somehow... I don't know that I can go on. I really don't. I'm so very angry at the very idea of it. I really think if that turns out to be fact as it looks from the cover of the next novel, I am indeed done.

My only hope is that, if worse comes to worse, they pull Empok Nor in from wherever they set it after bringing it to the Bajor sector for parts and christen it DS9.

Wouldn't be the same, but it would be something to hold on to.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:28 PM   #198
Enterpriserules
Fleet Captain
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Frontier wrote: View Post
The novel itself was fantastic. Up until the last line.

It really did do a lot to repair the damage and neglect a lot of us have felt for DS9 in recent years. I really liked the book the whole way through.

That last line though...

*Very Long Sigh*

If they don't retcon that somehow... I don't know that I can go on. I really don't. I'm so very angry at the very idea of it. I really think if that turns out to be fact as it looks from the cover of the next novel, I am indeed done.

My only hope is that, if worse comes to worse, they pull Empok Nor in from wherever they set it after bringing it to the Bajor sector for parts and christen it DS9.

Wouldn't be the same, but it would be something to hold on to.
I really believe that like the line earlier about Sisko seeing Kasity's ship blowing up and we find out later that she is not on it, the same thing is going to happen to DS9 itself. Sisko might think that the explosion destroys DS9, but that really, it is just the lower core. Plus from other blurbs for future books we know Ro is alive, so I am hoping the station is as well.
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:37 PM   #199
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Frontier wrote: View Post
The novel itself was fantastic. Up until the last line.

It really did do a lot to repair the damage and neglect a lot of us have felt for DS9 in recent years. I really liked the book the whole way through.

That last line though...

*Very Long Sigh*

If they don't retcon that somehow... I don't know that I can go on. I really don't. I'm so very angry at the very idea of it. I really think if that turns out to be fact as it looks from the cover of the next novel, I am indeed done.

My only hope is that, if worse comes to worse, they pull Empok Nor in from wherever they set it after bringing it to the Bajor sector for parts and christen it DS9.

Wouldn't be the same, but it would be something to hold on to.
I don't understand this. Why would you not be able to go on? Even if it IS completely gone, which I'm not sure it is, the cover for the next book shows something there, so even in the worst they'll be rebuilding it. What is the big deal? The Enterprise was destroyed and they got a new one. Did you not go on after that? I just do not comprehend this whole notion of quitting something before you see a final result. I mean, come on, as much as you all hate him here and bashed him to death after RBoE, David is a HUGE DS9 fan. He's not going to wipe out the cast in one fell swoop. This was a shocking moment, yes, but I doubt it means the end of DS9. Stop being so alarmist.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:44 PM   #200
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
David is a HUGE DS9 fan. He's not going to wipe out the cast in one fell swoop.
Yeah, he's not that other David.
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:55 PM   #201
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
David is a HUGE DS9 fan. He's not going to wipe out the cast in one fell swoop.
Yeah, he's not that other David.
Haha, good point. And with that David, if you're speaking of Peter, I wasn't even bothered about the fact that he kills of characters. In fact, with Before Dishonor, I thought it was gutsy that they did what they did. What bothered me about Before Dishonr, was that he clearly had not read or been much informed about the lead up with new characters on the Enterprise and his writing clearly showed that with the security chief (forgot his name) and T'Lana he didn't know their characterization and then by the end of the book the whole plot turned ridiculous. I didn't dislike Before Dishonor because he killed Janeway, but because it wasn't good writing (and I actually like Peter David too) and he didn't have a good grasp of characters. DRG3 on the other hand knows these characters inside and out, and writes them incredibly, yes, even Sisko and his decision. I am a firm believer that if these plotlines had happened on the show no one would be bitching, they're just doing it because its a book and they refuse to wait and see a larger tapestry of events that, with a show, you know is coming in the next episode or next season. But with all the moaning about RBoE, hardly anybody said, "You know what, lets wait and see what he has planned next, this must be going somewhere." They just crucified David for destroying their "property". And as far as people saying DS9 has been shafted and now the ending of PoN shafts it more, clearly hasn't been appreciating Typhon Pact the way I have. DS9 is my first love and joy in Star Trek, and yes I want them to continue the missing storyline set up in the Relaunch, but come on, Typhon Pact has been more DS9 element heavy than any of the other series. Ezri, Julian, and Serena get their own book. The Andorian crisis and Shar are dealt with. Sisko is all over the place, and now PoD putting all the focus back on DS9.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:59 PM   #202
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral
 
Mr. Laser Beam's Avatar
 
Location: The visitor's bullpen
View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
David is a HUGE DS9 fan. He's not going to wipe out the cast in one fell swoop.
Yeah, he's not that other David.
Haha, good point. And with that David, if you're speaking of Peter, I wasn't even bothered about the fact that he kills of characters.
No, not that David. I meant "Mack".
__________________
In labor news: Longshoremen walked off the piers today. Rescue operations are continuing.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 03:03 PM   #203
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Whoops! Then ignore my entire post.
I do love David Mack though too.
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 04:21 PM   #204
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
I don't understand this. Why would you not be able to go on? Even if it IS completely gone, which I'm not sure it is, the cover for the next book shows something there, so even in the worst they'll be rebuilding it. What is the big deal? The Enterprise was destroyed and they got a new one. Did you not go on after that? I just do not comprehend this whole notion of quitting something before you see a final result. I mean, come on, as much as you all hate him here and bashed him to death after RBoE, David is a HUGE DS9 fan. He's not going to wipe out the cast in one fell swoop. This was a shocking moment, yes, but I doubt it means the end of DS9. Stop being so alarmist.
I, personally, did not bash DRG for RBoE. I stated how much I disliked the book and how it seemed to totally shit all over Ben Sisko, but I never bashed him or even the writing of the book, and I only weighed in on the whole thing once myself. So I'm not part of the "gang-up" or whatever some want to call it that drove him from the board, if such happened. I don't visit around here too often, only poke my head in now and then.

As for my not wanting to go on reading Trek lit if they destroyed DS9?

(Which I'm hoping to high hell they haven't! Not the least of which is because Kira, Bashir, Quark, Ro and Kassidy all might be dead if so)

It's honestly just the straw that breaks the camels back, IMO.

I have not been happy with the treatment DS9 and VGR have both received in the past half-dozen years. I strongly disliked the killing of Janeway. I was upset with Sisko's departure from character in RBoE but I do feel this novel does much to mend that and really drive home how torturous it is to Sisko to do such acts.

But destroying DS9? It's like killing another favorite character. And - pending finding out for sure how it all turns out - I don't know that I'd enjoy reading the books much beyond that point because so much has been taken away.

It's a tapestry, and this feels like one thread too many pulled.

We'll see how it turns out. I'm hopeful it's being done for shock value and it'll turn out as a faux moment like Sisko seeing Kassidy's ship explode.

If
they really destroyed DS9 though?

It's just the latest in a line of decisions I disagree with strongly. And so why would I want to keep reading books that keep making choices that aren't appealing to me as a fan at all? You know?

We'll see how it all ends up.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 05:38 PM   #205
Travis Chesser
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

That's good that you didn't bash him, but he definitely was. Not liking a book is one thing, no problem, but calling an author racist, stupid, etc. is quite another, which is what was starting to happen. I just feel like we need to wait for next month's sequel before we condemn the ending to PoN. As far as VGR and Janeway go, I agree that Voyager definitely had its not-so-good moments for a while in Trek lit, but I base most of that on the quality of Golden's first four relaunch novels. Not a fan. Janeway's death didn't bother me because, frankly, I was surprised she survived the tv finale. I always saw her as a "Get my crew home" woman who dies in self-sacrifice saving her crew. I don't think her death was really a slight against Voyager. Now, I didn't like Before Dishonor for other reasons mentioned in a previous post, so I'm with you there. However, I think Beyer's Voyager relaunch is phenomenal!
Travis Chesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 06:00 PM   #206
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

StuM82 wrote: View Post
I disagree with that, the book could have been a third to a half shorter if it credited people with remembering what had happened in past storylines. It's true that people don't read all the books (I certainly don't) but there is far, far too much harking back to the past when it doesn't add much to the story in trek books. (Not a criticism limited to this book/author). I haven't read the other DS9 books but I know the major threads discussed in this book because they are repeated so often.
Personally I really liked the way Plagues ties all those together and sets them in narrative context.

Christopher wrote: View Post
So Star Trek often involves bringing nations to the brink of war, but only rarely does full-fledged war actually break out.
To be fair though, unlike Balance of Terror and Errands of Mercy, this is much more on-the-brink than any of those examples. After a coordinated attack on a Federation starbase involving warships from multiple nations in the Pact after violating the agreements re:the Gamma Quadrant it'll take a Herculean effort to dial things down. It'll be fun.

Sci wrote: View Post
Really liking the novel so far. Gotta say, in terms of narrative complexity, this is probably the most ambitious Star Trek novel since the Destiny trilogy. By my count so far, it advances at least 12 major factions' plot arcs from all across the books:
Agreed. I was somewhat disappointed by the lack of Dax and Aventine but the book's so full already I guess I shouldn't complain.

David Mack wrote: View Post
In fact, DRGIII and I talked about this and decided it makes sense to have La Forge as the ship's 2nd officer (i.e., third-in-command) from main engineering; if the ship suffers a hit that takes out the CO and XO on the bridge, and command transfers to engineering, it makes perfect sense to have the chief engineer as part of the chain of command to keep things running without interruption.
I've got a question/something I don't really like though. I comprehend the reason given about it "making the chain of command look odd" to have it go Captain -> Commander -> Captain, but I don't understand why it's needed. I mean, La Forge is a Captain of Engineering (as well as now the second officer) and Starfleet officers aren't stupid.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I actually like that Geordi seems to be moving away from a command track. Not everyone who enters Starfleet needs to (or even wants to) captain a starship. Geordi certainly never struck me as the type in TNG or the movies. Granted, I haven't read much of him in the novels yet...


Sci wrote: View Post
You are severely understating the amount of attention Geordi received in the A Time to... novels, in Greater than the Sum, in Destiny, and in Paths of Disharmony. And an entire book dedicated to him in the form of Indistinguishable From Magic is more than any character save Picard, Beverly, and T'Rhyss have received.
Err, his stuff in Destiny was great but it was pretty small nonetheless. Flirt with Leishman, tech the tech, and that great scene where he stands up to Picard about the thalaron emitter.

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
I really believe that like the line earlier about Sisko seeing Kasity's ship blowing up and we find out later that she is not on it, the same thing is going to happen to DS9 itself. Sisko might think that the explosion destroys DS9, but that really, it is just the lower core. Plus from other blurbs for future books we know Ro is alive, so I am hoping the station is as well.
I like this explanation, that what he's seeing is just the reactor/core and and the hint about Sisko seeing Kasidy's ship blow up.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 06:24 PM   #207
Truth
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
David is a HUGE DS9 fan. He's not going to wipe out the cast in one fell swoop.
Yeah, he's not that other David.
Haha, good point. And with that David, if you're speaking of Peter, I wasn't even bothered about the fact that he kills of characters. In fact, with Before Dishonor, I thought it was gutsy that they did what they did. What bothered me about Before Dishonr, was that he clearly had not read or been much informed about the lead up with new characters on the Enterprise and his writing clearly showed that with the security chief (forgot his name) and T'Lana he didn't know their characterization and then by the end of the book the whole plot turned ridiculous. I didn't dislike Before Dishonor because he killed Janeway, but because it wasn't good writing (and I actually like Peter David too) and he didn't have a good grasp of characters. DRG3 on the other hand knows these characters inside and out, and writes them incredibly, yes, even Sisko and his decision. I am a firm believer that if these plotlines had happened on the show no one would be bitching, they're just doing it because its a book and they refuse to wait and see a larger tapestry of events that, with a show, you know is coming in the next episode or next season. But with all the moaning about RBoE, hardly anybody said, "You know what, lets wait and see what he has planned next, this must be going somewhere." They just crucified David for destroying their "property". And as far as people saying DS9 has been shafted and now the ending of PoN shafts it more, clearly hasn't been appreciating Typhon Pact the way I have. DS9 is my first love and joy in Star Trek, and yes I want them to continue the missing storyline set up in the Relaunch, but come on, Typhon Pact has been more DS9 element heavy than any of the other series. Ezri, Julian, and Serena get their own book. The Andorian crisis and Shar are dealt with. Sisko is all over the place, and now PoD putting all the focus back on DS9.
Regardless of which david you where reffering you make a vaild point, about how hard it is to connect with new people for the simple reason that the next writer will just kill them off in order to put his own creations in place, Their was also a number of new people introduced during voygers relaunch that I liked only for them to be killed off. That kinda righting makes it hard for fans to acccept new people
Truth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 07:32 PM   #208
rfmcdpei
Captain
 
rfmcdpei's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Travis Chesser wrote: View Post
That's good that you didn't bash him, but he definitely was. Not liking a book is one thing, no problem, but calling an author racist, stupid, etc. is quite another, which is what was starting to happen.
Agreed, entirely.

I just feel like we need to wait for next month's sequel before we condemn the ending to PoN.
It's not obvious to me that, even if DS9 is destroyed that ending would need to be condemned. (If it kills the characters we care about, different story, but I don't think so. It doesn't make sense to me that George would have had the Prophets give Kira a vision that would spare her and Kassidy from the Xhosa only to kill them when the station blows up moments later.

As far as VGR and Janeway go, I agree that Voyager definitely had its not-so-good moments for a while in Trek lit, but I base most of that on the quality of Golden's first four relaunch novels. Not a fan. Janeway's death didn't bother me because, frankly, I was surprised she survived the tv finale. I always saw her as a "Get my crew home" woman who dies in self-sacrifice saving her crew. I don't think her death was really a slight against Voyager. Now, I didn't like Before Dishonor for other reasons mentioned in a previous post, so I'm with you there. However, I think Beyer's Voyager relaunch is phenomenal!
Agreed.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 07:43 PM   #209
Frontier
Vice Admiral
 
Frontier's Avatar
 
Location: Fifth Circle of Hell, IE: Pennsylvania
View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Truth wrote: View Post
Regardless of which david you where reffering you make a vaild point, about how hard it is to connect with new people for the simple reason that the next writer will just kill them off in order to put his own creations in place, Their was also a number of new people introduced during voygers relaunch that I liked only for them to be killed off. That kinda righting makes it hard for fans to acccept new people
This is what TNG has suffered from for a long while. It may be mended a bit now, but it took way too long.

Oh I know the "no crew in the real military would ever stay together that long" argument. But that's a really stupid argument, because this isn't reality. It's fiction.

As for final judgment - I am waiting until the next novel to make mine. You never know... maybe that final line is just to drive sales up. *Shrug* we can hope.
__________________
Me on Tumblr
Me on Twitter

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 10:06 PM   #210
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain
 
MatthiasRussell's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^ That final line was also given from Sisko's perspective. Sisko doesn't completely understand what is going on at that time. He thinks a couple people just got killed who we, the readers, know did not.

I think what happened is a bit more complex than that one line let on. Great cliffhanger, DRG III. Way to leave us thirsting for more.
__________________
"Can anyone remember when we used to be explorers?"
MatthiasRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.