New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 31 2012, 04:42 AM   #766
LuckyCharms
Ensign

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just finished Cat Daddy by Galaxy Jackson. Started reading Full Circle again so that I can finally read Worthy and Children of the Storm. Want to be caught up when the next Voyager book comes out.
LuckyCharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 05:07 AM   #767
BrentMc
Lieutenant Commander

Smellincoffee wrote: View Post
I just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63. I picked it up from the library on Tuesday afternoon, began reading it yesterday morning, and that's how I've been spending my free time since then. I don't read a lot of King (horror isn't a genre that attracts me), but this -- utterly captivating. I have a perverse attachment to the 50s/60s (was raised on that music and television from the era), so the sheer amount of immersive detail King threw in would have thrilled me, even if the storytelling wasn't so compelling. There's a subtle shade of horror and anticipation throughout the book, and the ending...

Suffice it to say, I think it tops my list of King books. I wonder if Christopher has read it, given the time-travel angle.
I love Stephen King. I have not read that one yet. His body of work is so diverse I think that the label of horror novelist doesn't fit. he writes such interesting characters and stories. I really like Duma key. Have you read that one?
BrentMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 09:19 AM   #768
Skywalker
Admiral

Section 31: Abyss by Jeffrey Lang and David Weddle
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 09:37 PM   #769
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

Just finished Forged in Fire, while in a waiting room. Not a bad book. It started out slow, picked up in the middle, and then ended slow. Overall a decent read.

Just started DRGIII's Plagues of Night, great beginning, cannot wait to see where it goes
Old May 31 2012, 11:30 PM   #770
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Finished re-reading Destiny: Mere Mortals by David Mack yesterday. A really great read, I certainly enjoyed this novel more than the first. Probably because you could really empathize with Hernandez and everything she went through during her 800+ years with the Caeliar. Top stuff.

A little break from Destiny now as I pick up the much respected Doctor's Orders by Diane Duane. I've never read it before, so you guys better be right.
Old June 1 2012, 06:43 AM   #771
JD
Admiral

Has anyone here read Mermaid: A Twist on the Classic Tale? I've become curious about mermaid stories recently, and I love stories that play with fairy tales, myths, and legends, but I'm afraid this might be too romance novelly for me.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 08:53 PM   #772
sportzkid
Rear Admiral

View sportzkid's Twitter Profile

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I quite enjoyed that book when I read it. Also have always liked Bashir and Ezri together.
sportzkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 06:29 AM   #773
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

I feel like I'm entering a science fiction kick, and I've started it off with a couple of books from the library.

First is Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, a book I'm finding to be quite a page-turner. I was pleased with Revelation Space when I read it a couple years ago and I've been meaning to return to him ever since. Maybe later this year I'll finish off that trilogy, though I also want to read House of Suns as well.

And there's The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol. 1, with a couple stories I've read before and others I'm familiar with from listening to the old radio show X Minus One. I'm skipping around in the book. So far my favourite has been, hands down, "The Cold Equations" by Tom Godwin.
Old June 2 2012, 07:45 AM   #774
captcalhoun
Admiral

finished Reap the Whirlwind last night, about to start Open Secrets
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 09:11 AM   #775
Skywalker
Admiral

sportzkid wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
I quite enjoyed that book when I read it. Also have always liked Bashir and Ezri together.
I'm enjoying it so far. Bashir was one of my favorite characters on DS9, so it's nice to have a book that focuses primarily on him.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 11:37 PM   #776
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

I just picked up Forgotten History and Plagues of Night and am currently reading Forgotten History. The first DTI novel, Watching the Clock, has cemented itself as one of my all-time favorite pieces of Star Trek fiction, and I'm really enjoying Forgotten History even though I'm only a couple of chapters into it.

I also just finished re-reading Guardian of the Balance, the first book in Irene Radford's Merlin's Descendants series (which I would highly recommend, BTW).

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 02:54 AM   #777
Cap'n Crunch
Commander

I finished New Frontier: Once Burned earlier today. I had read it years ago, but remembered practically nothing about. I'm glad I re-read it, because it's very good.

Then I read the Supernatural comic, Origins. It's not that great, I didn't really care for the artwork, and the story wasn't that good, it just seemed..."off" I guess. There are some things from the show that it contradicts, or that the show later contradicted, like hellhounds being visible, Sam and Dean meeting Joe Harvelle when they actually met her for the first time in the show, and the comic suggesting something other than a Demon killed Mary. I enjoyed the Rising Son comic a lot better.

I'm now reading Starfleet Academy: The Gemini Agent.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 04:50 AM   #778
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Just finished Trill: Unjoined. Really enjoyed it. I thought it got a bit slow, some sequences could have been pushed together a bit. And while from a style point of view I liked the first chapter being out of sequence, it ultimately didn't really serve a story purpose. Moving onto to the Kira story from Tales from the Captain's Table and then Bajor: Fragments & Omens.
Old June 3 2012, 10:25 PM   #779
indianatrekker26
Captain

About to start Star Wars Fate of the Jedi: Abyss. So far the FOTJ series has been adequate. I really liked Outcast, but Omen was just a waste of pages. Mostly redundant of Outcast.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2012, 08:53 PM   #780
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Finished: Time For Yesterday. I give it a 9/10.

Now, I'm continuing my ST novel read-through with Strangers From The Sky and the Khan/Spock/Voyage trilogy. (And possibly skipping ahead to read Plagues Of Night...)
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote