New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 23 2012, 08:59 PM   #1051
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

From what I can tell, the game needs to be purchased (it's not one of those free-to-play games that make $$$ off ads and virtual goods), which would really rile up the audience that they felt they had to buy something in order to enjoy a TV show. We already pay for Syfy through our cable bill, and that's high enough!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 01:26 AM   #1052
JD
Admiral

Damn, I was really hoping that the game would be free to play, since that seems to be the direction that most MMOs are going now.
As for those worried about how the game will effect the show, I have a feeling it's mostly just the scripted events that would have an effect on the show. I've been playing DCUOnline off and on since it went F2P on the PS3, and most of the mission on that have one set outcome that you have to accomplish. It's not really the kind of game where you can have different endings to the missions, and I have a feeling Defiance will probably be the same way.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 03:36 AM   #1053
Caliburn24
Commodore

I wouldn't put too much stock in the show/game dynamic mattering significantly to each other. It is just an attempt to generate multiple revenue streams.

I think it'll be like the Star Trek books or other media tie-ins, if you like the flagship show, you might like the books, but you by no means need to read the books to get the shows.

And the show will always take precedence over the game. They haven't said it, but it can't work any other way.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 05:43 AM   #1054
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

NBC’s Mockingbird Lane pilot has found its Eddie Munster

NBC’s J.J. Abrams-produced drama Revolution has released Andrea Roth (Rescue Me), per Deadline, as her character, the mother of the two leads, is being reconceived.
Old May 24 2012, 10:47 AM   #1055
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They must of seen her on Ringer.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 02:11 PM   #1056
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Defiance tie in with MMO videogame

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Someday (probably when we have holosuites), there will be a story/game hybrid where characters can choose to observe the main story, or wander off and interact with other parts of the environment,
I really enjoyed the SyFy video you linked Temis. Thanks. It was obviously created for the advertising upfronts this past few weeks in NYC. 6 minutes!

Ars Technica had an article that mentions:
But the integration can go deeper as well.
Not just in plot events but in the actual locations and sandbox universe world of the near future United States.

I think the game and TV series would be better if both were set in the same location such as St. Louis. This would allow the game designers to design a sandbox St. Louis and along with the TV series art director & production designer all be on the same design book and share many physical locations. I'm not talking about the same events but the same locations built in CGI and then rebuilt as physical sets or that CGI model repurposed and used as a virtual set. I can see this working for a 3-D TV series in the future.
I came up with the idea of being able to explore the same locations 3 years ago:
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
How about the idea of a CGI Trek series and then a PS3/XBOX360 game released in 1080p that used the same locations (and the same CG models) similar to this idea?
As fans we could explore these locations ourselves in realtime being able to walk all around the 'sets' in full high definition quality.
When will Michael Okuda & John Ives & Alan S. Kaye [set designer on STVI:TUC, DS9, Insurrection, Nemesis] start making their CG models available as a PS3 official Star Trek volume 1 'game' that is more of a interactive encyclopedia to explore the Star Trek Universe much more than a MMORPG like Star Trek Online.
I want official Trek TV and feature film designers creating the alien world and alien ship designs that are the CG models used in a game as well as a CG canon series.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 06:16 PM   #1057
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

More cast departures from Revolution/The Following:

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...g-changes.html

creator Eric Kripke and exec producer J.J. Abrams have decided to de-emphasize the character played by Anna Lise Phillips, who will now appear in a handful of episodes and then depart.

On "The Following," Jeananne Goossen ("Alcatraz") is out after the show decided to make her FBI agent character older, per Deadline.
Foreign buyers applaud "The Newsroom," impressed by "Arrow," "Elementary," compare "Revolution" to "Lost"
Old May 25 2012, 12:23 AM   #1058
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Exorcist TV series in development as 10-episode miniseries.

If successful, it would be easy to envision this being an annual series of 10-episode "miniseries," either with the same priest(s) as main characters or changing the characters and setting entirely. I'm sure Satan can be counted on to provide plenty of fun & games!

PS, check out the link to YouTube in the story. I won't post it here so as not to freak anyone out by accident...

Sean Durkin, the writer-director of last year’s excellent but criminally underseen Elizabeth Olsen thriller Martha Marcy May Marlene, is adapting the fiendish classic into a ten-episode television series, this time backed by Morgan Creek and produced by Roy Lee, the executive producer of films like The Departed and The Ring.

Unlike the iconic 1973 film, Durkin’s version of The Exorcist follows the events leading up to a demonic possession and especially the after-effects of how a family copes with it

The Exorcist TV series won't be formally shopped to networks for another two weeks, but executives are already calling seeking meetings to inquire about landing the Durkin update.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 02:06 PM   #1059
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Exorcist TV series in development as 10-episode miniseries.

If successful, it would be easy to envision this being an annual series of 10-episode "miniseries,"
It sounds like it is following the model of American Horror Story.
A 10-episode series should = better stories than 13 episodes as the stories have to be tighter without so much bloat.
The subject matter has exorcism-related feature film every few years. Certainly a market on cable TV for a series like this.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 08:41 PM   #1060
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Robert Patrick Upgraded to Series Regular on ABC's Fall Thriller Last Resort
Old May 31 2012, 12:15 AM   #1061
JD
Admiral

I liked Patrick in the Unit and what I've seen of his X-Files, so this is definitely good news in my book.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 01:25 AM   #1062
Caliburn24
Commodore

I was almost certain Patrick's character was going to die during the pilot of Last Resort. How else can he be the chief of the boat and only appear in the pilot?

I wonder if they are reshooting stuff for the pilot.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 02:16 AM   #1063
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They couldn't do that to him again after Star Gate Atlantis?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 02:18 AM   #1064
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
I was almost certain Patrick's character was going to die during the pilot of Last Resort. How else can he be the chief of the boat and only appear in the pilot?

I wonder if they are reshooting stuff for the pilot.
This is a good sign. I always thought that he'd make a good regular since he can fill the military man role quite well.
Old June 30 2012, 09:35 PM   #1065
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Elizabeth Mitchell Joins J.J. Abrams-Eric Kripke NBC Series ‘Revolution’ As Regular

In a recasting, Mitchell will play Rachel Matheson, the mother of Charlie Matheson (Tracy Spiridakos) and Danny Matheson (Graham Rogers). The Rachel character, played in the pilot by Andrea Roth, will appear in the series in flashbacks. Mitchell joins another new regular just cast in Revolution, Daniella Alonso.