Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 30 2012, 12:47 PM   #3436
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: The Dark Knight Rises Anticipation Station

'Everything about Selina is smooth except her eyes.'

Insert pussy joke here.

(What? Her name's Catwoman, after all!)
Old May 30 2012, 07:13 PM   #3437
Harvey
Admiral

"The biggest one anyone's done since the silent era."

Well, let's not establish unrealistic expectations or anything.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 07:39 PM   #3438
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
"The biggest one anyone's done since the silent era."

Well, let's not establish unrealistic expectations or anything.
Yeah I never understood that. Does "one" actually mean "film"? What does it mean.

i think the film may be pretty good, as in a sufficient wrap up to the story. but lets not forget how close TDK's narrative got to totally unspooling right before our eyes. It's only because of the strong themes in the story that people overlook the impossibility of the joker doing almost anything he actually did. let's not forget the the conflict at the warehouse at the end between batman and Two Face was sloppily written and executed and only the last minute (when batman decided to take the fall and go on the motorcycle) did it feel like it was cohering at all. Let's not forget that the film has some of the clumsiest exposition delivery I've ever seen in a film.

Want proof: "With no word from the Batman, even as they mourn Commissioner Loeb, these cops have to be wondering if the joker will make good on his threat to kill the mayor.'

That's one sentence, a poorly written sentence and doesn't resemble any news item I've ever heard. It's sole purpose was to cram as much exposition into the scene as Nolan could so the viewer won't be lost. we never know exactly who the five people are that Dent supposedly killed. We never know what happened at the party after Rachel fell. There is so much in the narrative that is lacking.. it's like we simply touch it, like a house of cards, and it falls apart. I really doubt that the new film will be significantly better in terms of flow.
Old May 31 2012, 02:11 AM   #3439
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christian Bale says that he is open to doing another Batman movie. However, it seems unlikely.
Old May 31 2012, 02:19 AM   #3440
Warped9
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
What this tells me is that it doesn't sound likely that Batman/Bruce Wayne dies in TDKR or how else you could Bale see himself continuing if Nolan gave him a call with a new story?
Old May 31 2012, 02:26 AM   #3441
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
Garak wrote: View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
There's more TV spots.

Looks like Morgan Freeman has nailed this role again!

It's like even bale brought up his acting game for this film.. and they all are so much better than Hathaway.. who, if anyone, will sink the film.
Indeed - one of the world's most sought after actresses, cast by Christopher Nolan who has a pretty impeccable casting record over the course of his very impressive career, playing an iconic role in one of the most anticpated movies of all time can possibly sink this film.

It's all so clear to me now. Makes total sense.
Well, me and my buddies cringe every time she delivers a line.
I know the feeling.

I cringe every time I read posts by certain people.
Old May 31 2012, 03:44 AM   #3442
TheGus251
Ensign

Hathaway might just deliver guys - she is quite a versatiel actress and not the dumb one-dimensional rom-com only type that some want to portray her as, for god's sake they could have used Jennifer Aniston for the Selina role and I'd still love this movie, it's a minor part so let's not get our knickers in our twist that will have little overall impact on the movie as a whole and may be quite a decent performance anyway
Old May 31 2012, 04:15 AM   #3443
TemporalFlux
Commodore

I would still love to see a live action Batman Beyond with Bale tackling the role of old Bruce. I imagine Bale would like the idea because it's a type of role he hadn't really tried yet; and I really think Beyond the best route as a way to separate the film from immediate comparisons to Nolan's work. After a Beyond movie, they could then enter a Batman reboot with a clean palette, so to speak; or they could keep making Beyond if it was a big success.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 04:33 AM   #3444
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Well I think casting Hathaway was a good move. Can you imagine Kristen Stewart in the role?
I'd prefer not to.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 04:45 AM   #3445
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I think Olivia Wilde would've been more ideal for the role. As beautiful as Hathaway is I think she lacks a certain "grace" or spark that I think Catwoman should have and exudes. CW should pretty much ooze sex and sensuality and be utterly exotic. Again, Hathaway is a great looking woman, but I don't think she fits in my mind what Catwoman is, but it remains to be seen for me on hoe she really does.
Old May 31 2012, 04:55 AM   #3446
RoJoHen
Awesome

My initial apprehension with Hathaway had nothing to do with her acting. It was her face. Her face is too cute! I had a hard time envisioning her as anything other than cute.
Old May 31 2012, 05:18 AM   #3447
Harvey
Admiral

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
What this tells me is that it doesn't sound likely that Batman/Bruce Wayne dies in TDKR or how else you could Bale see himself continuing if Nolan gave him a call with a new story?
Unless this is Bale running interference to keep something like that secret.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 05:28 AM   #3448
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I think Hathway has done a pretty good job at oozing sexuality in my opinion with all the promo material and scenes we've seen in the trailer. Olivia Wilde would be fine. I think I saw somewhere that Jessica Biel, Gemma Aterton, Kate Mara, Charlotte Riley, and Kiera Knightly all auditioned for Selina. Kate Winslet, Naomi Watts, and Rachel Weiz were considered for Miranda Tate before Marion agreed to the role after her son was born. Anne will be impressive.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 05:32 AM   #3449
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, from what I've seen she seems to be doing okay but, I dunno, it's missing a certain "spark."
Old May 31 2012, 05:36 AM   #3450
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

We're seeing a subtle version of Catwoman IMO...but no less sexual or playful. Keep in mind that in the amount of footage we have seen, doesn't probably compare to what is actually in the film. I do get what you're saying about that "spark". "Dark Victory" has been mentioned as being a large portion of the source material used for Selina in TDKR along with "The Long Halloween" I believe. Selina's arc in Dark Victory is among my absolute favorite Catwoman stories, so I've been personally excited about this for a long time

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote