RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Posts: 5,430,518
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 385
Newest member: Old Man 51


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 58 52.25%
Above Average 35 31.53%
Average 11 9.91%
Below Average 5 4.50%
Poor 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 29 2012, 06:35 PM   #151
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain
 
CaptainDonovin's Avatar
 
Location: Labrador City. woof
View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Started it @ midnight when it arrived on mu kindle, love it so far. There is a lot going on in this one.
__________________
Long live DS9!
CaptainDonovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 10:13 PM   #152
timothy
Rear Admiral
 
timothy's Avatar
 
Location: chester's mill, maine
View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I got my copy today on my nook color. I am going into this one with high hopes. All ready 50 pages into and I am loving it.
__________________
I am currently reading: poltergeist by kat richardson

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 12:53 AM   #153
DarKush
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I flipped through the book today and decided to pick it up.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 01:24 AM   #154
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
He has.

He has also tried consulting an Orb.
Has he tried using an Orb in the wormhole? According to Zek that usually seems to work.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 01:33 AM   #155
zarkon
Captain
 
zarkon's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

He's even tried it with green eggs and ham.
but alas, not a peep, not a dram.
__________________
In defeat, malice. In victory, revenge.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 02:43 AM   #156
Elias Vaughn
Captain
 
Elias Vaughn's Avatar
 
Location: Dead. Or in the Celestial Temple. One of the two.
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Elias Vaughn wrote: View Post
He has.

He has also tried consulting an Orb.
Has he tried using an Orb in the wormhole? According to Zek that usually seems to work.
Not that I know of.
Elias Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 03:58 PM   #157
nickyboy
Fleet Captain
 
nickyboy's Avatar
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Just finished it, simply amazing. Up there with Destiny in my opinion. Galaxy spanning story, great character moments. Thank you DRGIII. Picked up story threads from the previous TP books. Can't wait until the next one!!!
__________________
"Now if this cross examination is over, I'd like to take a crap"

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 04:12 PM   #158
rfmcdpei
Captain
 
rfmcdpei's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

nickyboy wrote: View Post
Just finished it, simply amazing. Up there with Destiny in my opinion. Galaxy spanning story, great character moments. Thank you DRGIII. Picked up story threads from the previous TP books. Can't wait until the next one!!!
I can't wait until my copy comes in. I just wonder whether or not I should save it for my upcoming flight (Thursday)!
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 06:45 PM   #159
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral
 
Location: On the USS Sovereign
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Got my copy going to start reeading it by Friday.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 07:01 PM   #160
WarsTrek1993
Captain
 
Location: The Final Frontier, TX
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'm hoping to pick it up sometime this week, along with Star Wars: The Old Republic: Deceived in paperback.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 08:57 PM   #161
Enterpriserules
Commodore
 
Enterpriserules's Avatar
 
Location: On an Andorian Atlire-class escort cruisers, the Mat-Rus. From "The Poisoned Chalice
View Enterpriserules's Twitter Profile
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I will admit up front that I am one of the people that hated RBOE. I hated the way Sisko was portrayed and the way the story glossed over 4 years of DS9 history. It seem that David has listened to some of that criticism and done a lot to help all of this make sense.

This book does a great job of reminding us what has happened in the past of the DS9R and give us some of the answers to how we gotten to this "future" of 4 years. One of the only problems I had with the book was that David will set up some issue like, Worf's dilemma of what to do about the seemingly duplicitous Romulans, then there is no follow up but, oh he told Picard and it made Picard suspicious. I understand why it is like this, it saves space in the book, but it happens frequently and gets a little annoying not to see the actual conversations and situations that these issues bring up.

The book has this amazing sense of foreboding and fear that is slowly building till the explosive end. Well done! I did figure out most of the story before it was revealed in the story, but I still enjoyed it all coming to a head. David does a wonderful job of weaving the plot treads together into a beautiful tapestry of intrigue and suspense.

Thank you David for your work with Ben and Kasidy. You have really cleared up and cleaned up this story and made it much more palpable. Ben seems to be going through some big changes and I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the conclusion to the story. This is a well crafted story and really brings together the threads of the Typhon Pact series well. David weaves in and out of all of the Pact stories to create a really cohesive whole.

As for the end, I do not believe that we have seen the end of DS9, I am sure that it will survive the explosion (At least I hope so, it's not a starship that can have another one built and it be the same just with a letter added.)
__________________
My Blog is www.42lifeinbetween.wordpress.com and I am the co-host of Literary Treks and The Orb podcasts.
Enterpriserules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 09:06 PM   #162
nickyboy
Fleet Captain
 
nickyboy's Avatar
 
Location: Sydney, Australia
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
nickyboy wrote: View Post
Just finished it, simply amazing. Up there with Destiny in my opinion. Galaxy spanning story, great character moments. Thank you DRGIII. Picked up story threads from the previous TP books. Can't wait until the next one!!!
I can't wait until my copy comes in. I just wonder whether or not I should save it for my upcoming flight (Thursday)!
It will be a great flight for you! I have to go to work now after 3.5 hrs sleep as stayed up until I had finished it!
__________________
"Now if this cross examination is over, I'd like to take a crap"

Romo Lampkin - The Son Also Rises
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 09:23 PM   #163
chris_masters5
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Location: Manchester, England
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I don't remember anyone else mentioning this in the thread but David R. George III has been interviewed by startrek.com about his duology. Here are the links:

http://www.startrek.com/article/davi...-novels-part-1

http://www.startrek.com/article/davi...-career-part-2

enyoy!
chris_masters5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 01:02 AM   #164
Titus Andronicus
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Augusta, GA
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I finished the book literally 20 minutes ago.

Outstanding story. Suffice to say, I'm still in shock, and cannot wait for the end of June to get here.
__________________
Kurt Vonnegut: 1922-2007
Titus Andronicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 01:31 AM   #165
Reanok
Commodore
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Enterpriserules wrote: View Post
I will admit up front that I am one of the people that hated RBOE. I hated the way Sisko was portrayed and the way the story glossed over 4 years of DS9 history. It seem that David has listened to some of that criticism and done a lot to help all of this make sense.

This book does a great job of reminding us what has happened in the past of the DS9R and give us some of the answers to how we gotten to this "future" of 4 years. One of the only problems I had with the book was that David will set up some issue like, Worf's dilemma of what to do about the seemingly duplicitous Romulans, then there is no follow up but, oh he told Picard and it made Picard suspicious. I understand why it is like this, it saves space in the book, but it happens frequently and gets a little annoying not to see the actual conversations and situations that these issues bring up.

The book has this amazing sense of foreboding and fear that is slowly building till the explosive end. Well done! I did figure out most of the story before it was revealed in the story, but I still enjoyed it all coming to a head. David does a wonderful job of weaving the plot treads together into a beautiful tapestry of intrigue and suspense.

Thank you David for your work with Ben and Kasidy. You have really cleared up and cleaned up this story and made it much more palpable. Ben seems to be going through some big changes and I am on the edge of my seat waiting for the conclusion to the story. This is a well crafted story and really brings together the threads of the Typhon Pact series well. David weaves in and out of all of the Pact stories to create a really cohesive whole.

As for the end, I do not believe that we have seen the end of DS9, I am sure that it will survive the explosion (At least I hope so, it's not a starship that can have another one built and it be the same just with a letter added.)
I'm so glad that storylines from previous ds9 books are being dealt with at long last.especially Ben Sisko and Kassidy Yates strained relationship.I haven't Had any luck finding this book yet,I can't wait to finally read this one at long last!
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
reviewpoll_v1

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.