Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old May 29 2012, 04:13 AM   #556
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
My TRU doesn't have TDKR figs out as of yesterday either. I'm only interested in the Alfred to flip on Ebay as it's the one per case.
This is the collector thread, not the scalper thread.
I do collect, I also flip ones I'm not interested in to better afford the ones I do want.
same here.
Old May 29 2012, 07:23 PM   #557
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

The only people I have issues with are the so-called collectors who buy every figure on a store peg wall and sell them ALL on eBay or scalp them in person. If you're selling just one or a few of the stash you've purchased for your own collection and pleasure than that's fine. Lots of people trade and sell their stuff to try to turn a small profit or get something else that they don't own or might even be cooler.

It's the plunder-and-pillage store scalpers who buy fifteen figures, ships and/or vehicles and then put them all on eBay or on a table at a flea market for double or triple the retail price that piss me off. A few here and there isn't objectionable. Doing it regularly and with almost everything you buy is. If you're not supporting, feeding and clothing your family by scalping then you have no business doing it, but even then it comes off as shady and dirty.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 08:04 PM   #558
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I refer any that need to see it, see it again to this post.
Does that pic from that post on page 30 look like someone NOT collecting figures? That is a portion of the room, that entire guest bedroom is a freaking shrine to Marvel Comics. Maybe I'll take pics of the rest of the room just for shit's and giggles. It's something of a "catch-all" room though so that bookshelf represents the easiset pic to get.

Do I flip figures, you bet I do and I'm not ashamed of it. I bet Shinzon isn't either. Nothing illegal about it and if someone will pay it then I don't see the issue. Doesn't mean we aren't as "worthy" an action figure fan? No.

I have a standing order with an Ebay Store Seller who sends me a complete run of each MU line. One of each figure. That's one for me to add to my collection without fighting the pegs at retail.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 08:46 PM   #559
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Very well. My apologies for my overreaction.
Old May 29 2012, 10:07 PM   #560
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Oh, Craig you misunderstood me my friend. I wasn't saying you were a scalper. I was talking about actual scalpers who raid and deplete stores of their figures and then sell most or all of them for a profit. Actual, textbook scalpers. If it sounded for one moment like my above post was directed at you in any way, shape or form then my humblest apologies. You seem cool and you're alright in my eyes. Sorry if it sounded otherwise.

Old May 29 2012, 10:16 PM   #561
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

I refer any that need to see it, see it again to this post.
Does that pic from that post on page 30 look like someone NOT collecting figures? That is a portion of the room, that entire guest bedroom is a freaking shrine to Marvel Comics. Maybe I'll take pics of the rest of the room just for shit's and giggles. It's something of a "catch-all" room though so that bookshelf represents the easiset pic to get.

Do I flip figures, you bet I do and I'm not ashamed of it. I bet Shinzon isn't either. Nothing illegal about it and if someone will pay it then I don't see the issue. Doesn't mean we aren't as "worthy" an action figure fan? No.

I have a standing order with an Ebay Store Seller who sends me a complete run of each MU line. One of each figure. That's one for me to add to my collection without fighting the pegs at retail.
i'm not ashamed of flipping figures. kinda like cooleddie74 said, its the plunder and pillage guys who irritate me. i buy what i like and i rarely ever buy whole waves of figures. i keep an eye out for stuff i know is rare and pick up stuff for friends. if its something for a friend i just charge them retail plus shipping. if i end up making $30 from a Star Wars figure on ebay that money usually goes towards buying more toys.
Old May 29 2012, 10:50 PM   #562
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I wanted to clarify that I was NOT the "textbook" scalper. I do not raid any shelves. If I see the clearance aisle has good pieces and the figures have made it there then I'll buy it and flip it. I figure if it's sat around and made it to the clearance aisle then anyone who wanted it had a shot at it months ago(at least locally).

Glad we are all on the same page!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 10:53 PM   #563
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Oh, I never thought you were Craig. I have good vibes about you. You give off a groovy, cool collector's aura. Can you dig me, hep cat?

Old May 29 2012, 10:56 PM   #564
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Yes, plunder and pillage guys are the scum of the earth. Sadly, most of us do have to contend with them a lot of the time.
Old May 29 2012, 11:01 PM   #565
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

My friend Justin at the toy shop has almost gotten into fistfights with scalpers. He spotted this guy pillaging and eviscerating the pegs at Target one morning after the store opened and the man was putting every single figure including a lot of brand new ones in his shopping cart. Justin confronted him about his greedy habits, the man got snippy and confrontational and my friend almost came to blows with the dirtbag.

Scalpers make Ferengi pirates and traders look downright civilized and generous.

Old May 29 2012, 11:03 PM   #566
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Cooleddie, you may like this. Unpainted proto of the Mythos Boba Fett statue:

I can't wait to see it when it's done. That is one sweet looking statue.
Old May 29 2012, 11:05 PM   #567
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

[Lloyd Bridges in AIRPLANE!] Looks like I picked the right time to get into Sideshow Collectibles, Mythos and Hot Toys!

(*Sniff*) [/Lloyd Bridges]

Old May 30 2012, 08:46 PM   #568
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

The first figure ever from the DC Universe Club Infinite Earths has finally arrived on my doorstep. Here's the Golden Age Flash, Jay Garrick:

And just because it's practically mandatory for me by this point:

Hehe..Rainbow Flash.
Old May 30 2012, 09:02 PM   #569
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

I was looking through one of the several boxes of action figures I have accumulated over the years when I ran into this little gem! I'm not sure what compelled me to keep it. I cracked it open only to find out the Captain's Cologne smells like crap!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 09:59 PM   #570
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The collecting sites have reported that the 18th new CLONE WARS basic-carded action figure of the year will be Commander Fox, another Republic Clone but one that hasn't yet been made in "Phase II"(REVENGE OF THE SITH-era) battle armor. Hasbro has announced that only 19 new, basic CLONE WARS figures will be released during all of this year so that leaves just one slot left to be revealed.

On another note, CLONE WARS wave and case assortments about to return to a two-per-case mix, which should make it easier for collectors and kids to find some of their favorite 2012 figures. I just wish they'd go back to two-per-case with the Vintage Collection, because that's the line that really needs and deserves it.