Two IDW Publishing Trek Comics Previews
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

Shatner: Celebrate Life
By: T'Bonz on Mar 3

March-April 2015 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Shatner Shares Nimoy Memories
By: T'Bonz on Mar 2

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 22 2012, 08:23 AM   #46
Timo
Admiral

Re: Doomsday Machine Question-What Does Decker Exclaim?

Or then multi-million is exactly what it was built for. It destroys indiscriminately, and takes about half a year to destroy what appears to be half a dozen star systems. In order to berserk its way through a galaxy in the demonstrated manner and thus preemptively render it harmless to the builders, it would indeed have to operate for millions of years.

Probably thousands of DDMs would be built to speed up the berserking process. Perhaps this one would be a stray, carving a little hole in the side of Milky Way by accident while its siblings once made short work of Andromeda or somesuch and then neatly shut down as planned. Not that much of a threat - unless it was a von Neumann machine, creating offspring to more efficiently complete the mission.

Who knows, perhaps the Space Amoeba was a similar machine of slightly differing construction? Perhaps there is something to Spock's weird insistence that all these things come from outside the Milky Way: it may be that our galaxy is a well-defended one, with the Barrier blocking most attack attempts, but that the universe outside is a barbaric battlefield where various berserkers prevent civilizations from rising by ravaging entire galaxies. Not because they would be "out of control", but because they work exactly as planned: their builders would just make sure their own niche of existence would fall outside the parameters of destruction.

If we assume the DDM was "out of control", then claiming that it was a vengeance device is no different from claiming that it was a terraforming machine: it's fundamentally irrelevant and probably incorrect speculation.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 08:45 AM   #47
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Timo wrote: View Post
If we assume the DDM was "out of control", then claiming that it was a vengeance device is no different from claiming that it was a terraforming machine: it's fundamentally irrelevant and probably incorrect speculation.
Kirk's speculative comment about DDM's original purpose was extremely relevant to the time in which the episode was made, even if it wasn't relevant to the plot.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 08:52 AM   #48
Timo
Admiral

Well put. Which sort of makes it worse, as it makes the viewer think in terms of an analogy and then realize what a poor analogy it is... The DDM almost becomes a failure when it doesn't live up to the promise of being an arsenal of ICBMs slaved to a dead man's switch.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 05:18 PM   #49
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
TOSalltheway wrote: View Post
On the subject of Doomsday Machine I have to admit that Matt Decker is my favourite guest star in TOS. I was so happy when I learned that he did not die in this episode and lived a comfortable life on Earth dying decades later of old age.

What ? You didn't know that? Check out "Star Trek Th New Voyages" episode "In Harms Way" with William Windom reprising his role as Decker. I challenge any TOS fan to state that his appearerance does not give you goose bumps
It didn't give me goosbumps. It was anti-dramatic and silly.
I tried to think of a nice way of saying this. But couldn't come up with one.
Old May 29 2012, 12:22 AM   #50
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
The Second Revised Final Draft script for "The Doomsday Machine" dated June 14, 1967 has the following...
Hey, Greg, one other thing: Can you quote how the script describes the Constellation? I doubt it refers to a registry number, but I'd be curious to read what the script says about it.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 01:52 AM   #51
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

The Second Revised Final Draft script for "The Doomsday Machine" dated June 14, 1967 has the following...
Hey, Greg, one other thing: Can you quote how the script describes the Constellation? I doubt it refers to a registry number, but I'd be curious to read what the script says about it.
There's not much there there we don't already know.

"Scene 8 INT. ENTERPRISE BRIDGE - ON VIEWSCREEN

SHOOTING PAST Sulu on the left, holding part of naviga-
tor in the right. Showing an Enterprise-class starship
seen small at first, but growing in perspective as the
Enterprise approaches it, till it fills most of the
viewscreen. We see that it is the Constellation, sitting
dead in space, with several large, neat holes punched in
the warp-drive pods, obviously a derelict, She is canted
at an odd angle and looks somehow grotesque in her help-
lessness."

Other scenes have even less content. Here's Scene 11, when we return from the opening credits:

"FADE IN:
Scene 11 EXT. SPACE - FULL SHOT - CONSTELLATION

The wrecked Constellation floating dead in space, canted
to one side; the holes in the power nacelles are clearly
visible."

So it looks like the took an "Enterprise-class" starship model and poked some large holes in it and made it look obviously derelict. And script-wise, that's about all they had to work with.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 01:56 AM   #52
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

There's not much there there we don't already know.

"Scene 8 INT. ENTERPRISE BRIDGE - ON VIEWSCREEN

SHOOTING PAST Sulu on the left, holding part of naviga-
tor in the right. Showing an Enterprise-class starship
seen small at first, but growing in perspective as the
Enterprise approaches it, till it fills most of the
viewscreen. We see that it is the Constellation, sitting
dead in space, with several large, neat holes punched in
the warp-drive pods, obviously a derelict, She is canted
at an odd angle and looks somehow grotesque in her help-
lessness."

Other scenes have even less content. Here's Scene 11, when we return from the opening credits:

"FADE IN:
Scene 11 EXT. SPACE - FULL SHOT - CONSTELLATION

The wrecked Constellation floating dead in space, canted
to one side; the holes in the power nacelles are clearly
visible."

So it looks like the took an "Enterprise-class" starship model and poked some large holes in it and made it look obviously derelict. And script-wise, that's about all they had to work with.
Well, it does indicate clearly that the ship was supposed to be the same class as the Enterprise, not some other model, which some fans insist on suggesting because of the use of the AMT kit.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2012, 02:12 AM   #53
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

the ship was supposed to be the same class as the Enterprise, not some other model, which some fans insist on suggesting because of the use of the AMT kit.
It's not so much that the Constellation must be of a different class due to the model, just that it could be. And I doubt anyone would even be suggesting that, if it weren't for the registry number.