RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,095
Posts: 5,399,575
Members: 24,737
Currently online: 514
Newest member: jer

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 58 52.25%
Above Average 35 31.53%
Average 11 9.91%
Below Average 5 4.50%
Poor 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 27 2012, 11:16 AM   #121
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post

In RBoE, there is no affirmation - or implication - that Sisko knew anything beyond 'You will know only sorrow'. Every time his motivation is brought up, it's always only this prophecy; there's not a trace of anything related to Sisko's stay in the wormhole (or any other source of information - unless you count depression and paranoia as such).

The 'Sisko knew more' is a forum theory, transparently meant to excuse Sisko, unsupported by RBoE.
But if you read Fearfull Symetry and The Soul Key, you would know yourself that it's NOT a forum theory, but from the novels. People seem to completely forget those two novels, where Sisko meets his counterparts from other universes, and things about what is to come are revealed to him.
I have read the books you name, Mage.

In those books it's shown Sisko knows of a prophets' meta-plan for a number of quantum universes, NOT anything relating to his personal life or future misery.

The book that confirms this is RBoE - by certifying that, regarding the 'only misery' prophecy, Sisko knew nothing beyond the prophecy from 'What you leave behind'. All his decisions are based on those words only, with no further knowledge (and we were privy to his thoughts).


The apologist argument - which REMAINS a theory from this forum - goes something like:
~'So what if his thoughts revealed no further knowledge? In his subconscious, he knew more - never mind the fact that this is nowhere established/hinted at in RBoE'.
The very definition of apologist fanwank - convoluted, unsupported arguments, disregarding authorial intent in a game to play 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' because one doesn't like what was established.

Who's talking about being an apologist? What he did was wrong, I'm not apalogizing anything. Most people aren't. We're explaining why we feel Sisko did what he did. But most of those people are also saying his actions are wrong.
Just because you are explaining someone's reasoning, doesn't mean you agree with it.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 11:28 AM   #122
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain
 
Edit_XYZ's Avatar
 
Location: At star's end.
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mage wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post

But if you read Fearfull Symetry and The Soul Key, you would know yourself that it's NOT a forum theory, but from the novels. People seem to completely forget those two novels, where Sisko meets his counterparts from other universes, and things about what is to come are revealed to him.
I have read the books you name, Mage.

In those books it's shown Sisko knows of a prophets' meta-plan for a number of quantum universes, NOT anything relating to his personal life or future misery.

The book that confirms this is RBoE - by certifying that, regarding the 'only misery' prophecy, Sisko knew nothing beyond the prophecy from 'What you leave behind'. All his decisions are based on those words only, with no further knowledge (and we were privy to his thoughts).


The apologist argument - which REMAINS a theory from this forum - goes something like:
~'So what if his thoughts revealed no further knowledge? In his subconscious, he knew more - never mind the fact that this is nowhere established/hinted at in RBoE'.
The very definition of apologist fanwank - convoluted, unsupported arguments, disregarding authorial intent in a game to play 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' because one doesn't like what was established.

Who's talking about being an apologist? What he did was wrong, I'm not apalogizing anything. Most people aren't. We're explaining why we feel Sisko did what he did. But most of those people are also saying his actions are wrong.
Just because you are explaining someone's reasoning, doesn't mean you agree with it.
If Sisko really did spare his family greater pain (which would come if he stayed with them), a fact objectively certain, he's as immaculate a character as ever.

The forum theory we're discussing emerged - and was repeated - for this one specific purpose (you only need to read the posts that support it - see Christopher's from this thread, for example). Indeed, that is the only purpose of this fanwank; it has no relevance, it changes nothing beyond it.


Too bad the fanwank is not in the least supported.
If RBoE isn't enough for you:
DRG3 discussed RBoE on this forum, bickering about Sisko's development. Feel free to read the thread yourself - and see how he didn't intend for Sisko to have information beyond the prophecy.

Well, you can always hope that Christopher will get to write a Sisko book and make part of trek lit that Sisko actually knew etc - to wash Sisko's trollish character development away.
__________________
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; May 27 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 02:21 PM   #123
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

JD wrote: View Post
Sjaddix wrote: View Post
SO JD, you seem to be a Spider-man fan. Can I get your opinion on Spider-man and his deal with the devil?
I haven't read the story arc in question myself, but I do think it was a bad choice on the creator's part, much like I do with the current Sisko arc. In story though, and given both the situation and the previous behavior and characterization of Peter Parker/Spider-Man I think it makes sense that the character did what he did, much like with Sisko.
Well, there I disagree altogether. I don't think it makes any sense in-story that Peter Parker would make the choice he did, or that he'd be left with no other options in the first place (given how many ways there are in the Marvel universe for superscience or sorcery to reverse death). Sisko's actions and their context make far more sense.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 03:27 PM   #124
Sci
Admiral
 
Sci's Avatar
 
Location: "We hold these truths to be self-evident..."
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Bicker, bicker, bicker. Equivocate, condemn, call the author arrogant, call people who don't condemn the author's choices "apologists," blah blah blah.

Look at how tense and hostile this thread has become, just among us fans. Can you really blame DRGIII for deciding that this sort of nonsense isn't worth putting up with?
__________________
"Every line of serious work that I have written since 1936 has been written, directly or indirectly, against totalitarianism and for democratic Socialism, as I understand it." - George Orwell, 1946
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 03:36 PM   #125
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

^ Blame, no, but part of me wishes he'd engage the debate just because I'd be interested in his thoughts on the matter. Though I realize most authors are content letting the work speak for themselves, or don't want to bereave the readers of their freedom to interpret it as they choose. As such I'd respect silence even if this thread were a friendlier read, though my curiosity remains.

Last edited by Sho; May 27 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 03:57 PM   #126
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Yay, just saw that this one's available through bol.com. Ordering it now.
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 04:04 PM   #127
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sho wrote: View Post
^ Blame, no, but part of me wishes he'd engage the debate just because I'd be interested in his thoughts on the matter. Though I realize most authors are content letting the work speak for themselves, or don't want to bereave the readers of their freedom to interpret it as they choose. As such I'd respect silence even if this thread were a friendlier read, though my curiosity remains.
David did offer his thoughts on the debate back in the RBoE review thread, which was linked above. He made 34 posts in that thread over the course of more than a month, the first on December 22, 2010, and the last on January 25, 2011. That's an average of nearly one post per day, up until the point that he walked away. Here's a list of them (in reverse order):

http://www.trekbbs.com/search.php?searchid=5915368

As far as I've heard, nothing that's been said about RBoE in this thread is new. It was all covered in the original thread, and David offered plenty of thoughts on the subject. And when he did leave the thread, he invited people to continue contacting him on Facebook or by e-mail. So he certainly wasn't committed to silence.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 04:09 PM   #128
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

So I went digging, and these seem to be DRGIII's definitive post on this topic:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=106
http://www.trekbbs.com/showpost.php?...&postcount=151

To sum it up, the author's take on it is that Sisko strongly believes the Prophet's prophecy, and that events following the enunciation of the prophecy have lead him to believe that things are on a trajectory towards serious harm coming to his family. DRGIII also explicitly leaves open the door to Sisko's assessment being wrong, and recalls his battered emotional state at the time he reaches his decision.

Thus on the point of whether Sisko knew "something more" than the prophecy, Sisko apparently takes events following its enunciation as this "something more". DRGIII explicitly says that Sisko is not acting on a vague notion of future "sorrow", but is acting on the realization that something harmful is going to happen.

Critics may well argue that the work doesn't substantiate this sufficiently, and chosing to make up one's own mind based solely on the work is certainly fair game in my book. However, in the context of a forum debate it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ignore a reliable source of further information - the author. And it especially doesn't make much sense to accuse an author of intentions he denies having.

As for the whole apologetist thing, I think there seems to be a consensus that Sisko may well have made a bad call here - but he may also turn out to have made the right one.

Finally, this is the first time I've read posts by DRGIII, and I'm sad he's no longer active here. His posts seem to be a consistently nice read and he was very forthcoming with information.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 05:05 PM   #129
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mage wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
Mage wrote: View Post

But if you read Fearfull Symetry and The Soul Key, you would know yourself that it's NOT a forum theory, but from the novels. People seem to completely forget those two novels, where Sisko meets his counterparts from other universes, and things about what is to come are revealed to him.
I have read the books you name, Mage.

In those books it's shown Sisko knows of a prophets' meta-plan for a number of quantum universes, NOT anything relating to his personal life or future misery.

The book that confirms this is RBoE - by certifying that, regarding the 'only misery' prophecy, Sisko knew nothing beyond the prophecy from 'What you leave behind'. All his decisions are based on those words only, with no further knowledge (and we were privy to his thoughts).


The apologist argument - which REMAINS a theory from this forum - goes something like:
~'So what if his thoughts revealed no further knowledge? In his subconscious, he knew more - never mind the fact that this is nowhere established/hinted at in RBoE'.
The very definition of apologist fanwank - convoluted, unsupported arguments, disregarding authorial intent in a game to play 'see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil' because one doesn't like what was established.

Who's talking about being an apologist? What he did was wrong, I'm not apalogizing anything. Most people aren't. We're explaining why we feel Sisko did what he did. But most of those people are also saying his actions are wrong.
Just because you are explaining someone's reasoning, doesn't mean you agree with it.
Exactly. Just because you can defend a character's action, and think they make sense, doesn't neccissarily mean you think they were good. There are plenty of actions taken in real world situations, where even though something is wrong, you can still understand and defend the motivations for doing it.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 05:54 PM   #130
toughlittleship
Fleet Captain
 
Location: United Kingdom
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I'm just glad that Pocket Books still care about DS9 to feature novels with DS9 characters, regardless of the storylines. I've heard a lot of people talking about their reasons for walking away from Star Trek literature; without DS9 I would do just that.
toughlittleship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 06:17 PM   #131
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'm confused that this misunderstanding persists. It's not a "vague sense" of anything. Sisko lived with beings who existed in the future. Who didn't just have a sense of what the future might hold, but who directly experienced what actually would happen. While he lived with the Prophets, he saw the future too. And while he doesn't remember specifics, he remembers knowing for a fact that they'd be in danger if he stayed. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? It was spelled out quite clearly in the book, I thought.
I don't remember if it's spelled out clearly in Rough Beast or not, but
.

But even if he did, that's all just a bunch of noise because the Prophets, and Sisko when he was with them, experience all possible future realities and can see what decisions will lead to each. The Star Trek future isn't set in stone but is a myriad of possibilities, hence All Good Things. You're telling me that all future timelines where Sisko and Kasidy were together end in her death and his sorrow? Well actually - yes, they do I suppose, because she will eventually die. But even then, not necessarily before him, so no.


And for that matter, what led to this realization after a matter of years away from the wormhole when he's been raising Rebecca with Kasidy? He should've had this fresh in mind mind as soon as he popped out of the wormhole in Unity; hence why I think it's a matter of depression-induced wrong choices.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Maybe he didn't, but that's not the issue. The key question isn't whether what Sisko did was right. Well-drawn characters are allowed to make mistakes, and that's part of what makes them interesting. The issue at the core of these persistent and very repetitive BBS debates is whether Sisko's actions were in character for him -- whether it was believable that a Ben Sisko in the circumstances he was placed in, with the knowledge and convictions that he had, would have chosen that course of action, right or wrong. So the key question here is about his motives, because that's what's being attacked and misrepresented in these debates. I'm far from convinced that he did the right thing, but I think that under the circumstances, he acted in character and in what he believed was good faith. He chose to sacrifice himself out of his love for his family. Nobody's saying that what he did was nice and beautiful and satisfying. But he was convinced it was the lesser of two evils, that the alternative was even worse.
Well on the bolded part we can agree, but my objection is to any possibility that he's not wrong. This isn't Terminator (the first one, that is). And my point is that even with his motivations being for the best his actions are a case of abandonment.

Edit_XYZ wrote: View Post
The 'Sisko knew more' is a forum theory...


Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, there I disagree altogether. I don't think it makes any sense in-story that Peter Parker would make the choice he did, or that he'd be left with no other options in the first place (given how many ways there are in the Marvel universe for superscience or sorcery to reverse death). Sisko's actions and their context make far more sense.
Yup.

Sci wrote: View Post
Look at how tense and hostile this thread has become, just among us fans. Can you really blame DRGIII for deciding that this sort of nonsense isn't worth putting up with?
You know what I'd like to see? More discussion of Plagues, has anybody else read it?

__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 06:47 PM   #132
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Kestrel wrote: View Post
The Star Trek future isn't set in stone but is a myriad of possibilities, hence All Good Things. You're telling me that all future timelines where Sisko and Kasidy were together end in her death and his sorrow?
Of course not. I've already said -- what's at issue here was not whether Sisko's actions were objectively right (because it's ridiculous to insist that fictional characters should never be allowed to make mistakes), but whether his motives were in character and understandable. The point is that he was absolutely convinced that he had to leave his family in order to protect them, therefore it's a damn lie to call him a deadbeat who abandoned them for selfish reasons. Even if what he did was wrong, he did it for what he believed were the right reasons. How many times does that have to be repeated?


And for that matter, what led to this realization after a matter of years away from the wormhole when he's been raising Rebecca with Kasidy? He should've had this fresh in mind mind as soon as he popped out of the wormhole in Unity; hence why I think it's a matter of depression-induced wrong choices.
Maybe you should try re-reading RBoE with that question in mind. From what David said in his responses I linked to earlier, it was the sequence of events that had unfolded in the years between Unity and RBoE that convinced him that future he'd been warned about was coming to pass. David conceded that not getting to see that whole set of events may have made that less clear to the audience, but that the seeds for it had been laid in earlier DS9 novels and in the series itself. At least you should read those posts of David's that I linked to, let him answer the questions for you.


Well on the bolded part we can agree, but my objection is to any possibility that he's not wrong.
Again, nobody is claiming his choices were completely right, just that he sincerely believed they were necessary. We're objecting to the accusations that his motives were somehow selfish or callous toward his family, because that is a profound misreading of the text. It is possible to disagree with someone's choices but still believe in his good intentions.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 06:52 PM   #133
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

(FWIW, Christopher's link won't actually work for anyone (you can't link to search result pages that way for implementation reasons I'll spare you my usual big technobabble monologue on now), but the individual posts I linked to are exactly those that go into these matters.)
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 06:57 PM   #134
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Oh, sorry. I wasn't sure whether the search link would work, but it seemed to. Maybe that was just for me, or just temporarily. Anyway, just go to the RBoE review thread, click on "Search This Thread" in the upper right corner, click on "Advanced Search" in the popup menu, and then enter "David R. George III" into the User Name field.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 09:39 PM   #135
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral
 
Hartzilla2007's Avatar
 
Location: Star Trekkin Across the universe.
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

i have to ask, is it really necessary to post stuff about Plagues of Night in spoiler code when the thread has spoilers in the tittle?
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.