Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 27 2012, 01:58 PM   #16
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Re: Tom Paris - awesome or vastly underused?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Up to 4.18 Tom did an awful lot. Top Pilot, Fathered an entire advanced Civilization, went on Away missions, helped with Engineering, was the nurse, was in the Holodeck many, many episodes.

After this point, from what I know, he continues in all these aspects, plus builds the Delta Flyer.

I don't think he was underused at all The only thing more you could do with him was make him First Officer, and that didn't help Chakotay's character much
Yeah Tom was extremely versatile as a character, which can't be said of Kim or Chakotay... I would say Tom is the second most used male character in VOY, second only to the Doctor.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 06:33 PM   #17
stj
Rear Admiral

I never got a sense of what Tom's problem with his father was about, nor did I project any personal problems with my father onto the blank cardboard cutout.

The bad boy image was only believable by comparison to Kim, and there was very little onscreen interaction between Paris and Kim after the third season episode The Chute, for some reason. ()

His interactions with B'elana seemed designed to establish that 1) Tom was way too cool to be pussywhipped but 2) his superior sensitivity was balm to her Angry Warrior soul.

I didn't even buy the idea that he was particularly smart, even if he was supposed to warn about the failure in Timeless, establishing he was smarter than Janeway, Tuvok, Kim and of course 7 of 9. (Plus the other throwaway incidents along the same lines.) This may be partly because the actor couldn't/wouldn't do the "technobabble" lines, but that's still what I got from the screen.

It was clear that Tom was supposed to be pretty much perfect, in a Rebel Without a Cause kind of way. He was a Gary Stu, complete with the seemingly obligatory peculiar, not a real name, name. Paris? Why not Schenectady, except that Paris is cooler? His perfection seemed forced upon us, rather than showed to us.

For my part, this meant he was used far too much. The vacuousness of this character, used as a main cast member far more than more interesting characters (like Neelix or Chakotay before Seska and religious heeby jeebies castrated him) or more strongly drawn characters (like Tuvok or Kim) left an emotional blank at the heart of the series.

When the series first began, Chakotay had salt and pepper hair, while Tom Paris had a sweptback do that made him look ten years older. I don't there's any doubt than Paris was supposed to be the romantic interest for Janeway, except that they couldn't make Paris interesting enough to be a plausible attraction for Janeway. We should be grateful that we were spared that horror show!
Old May 27 2012, 06:50 PM   #18
tighr
Commodore

I don't know where that came from, stj. I never got that impression.

I enjoyed Paris as a character, and thought he was one of the most well used on the show.
Old May 27 2012, 08:16 PM   #19
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Tom had a choice.

He was angry, and felt rejected by B'Elanna, so with 4 gallons of spite pumping through his heart he asked Seven of Nine on a date with every intention of hatefucking her as publically as possible so that that Klingon *&^^% would know what a good thing she was missing out on.

In her broken condition, there's no way that Seven wouldn't have imprinted on Tom.

However.

10 seconds after asking that drone on a date, B'Elanna reaffirms her loving feelings for Tom and demands that he not be such a dick who would run away from his feelings for her too.

Anika is forgotten about.

Maybe this is why she fluffed harry in the mess?

Any way, Tom's part in the Seven of Nine Show, as Voyager became in all but name, would have been Rikki, rather than Fred Mertz, if he just would have taken that blonde out for that date she had ccepted, and lived happily ever after

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 10:00 PM   #20
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Tom had a choice.

He was angry, and felt rejected by B'Elanna, so with 4 gallons of spite pumping through his heart he asked Seven of Nine on a date with every intention of hatefucking her as publically as possible so that that Klingon *&^^% would know what a good thing she was missing out on.

In her broken condition, there's no way that Seven wouldn't have imprinted on Tom.

However.

10 seconds after asking that drone on a date, B'Elanna reaffirms her loving feelings for Tom and demands that he not be such a dick who would run away from his feelings for her too.

Anika is forgotten about.

Maybe this is why she fluffed harry in the mess?

Any way, Tom's part in the Seven of Nine Show, as Voyager became in all but name, would have been Rikki, rather than Fred Mertz, if he just would have taken that blonde out for that date she had ccepted, and lived happily ever after
I first I thought you were raving Guy Gardener, but then I remembered the little speech of Tom Paris (3rd episode of season 4) about him offering 'any' help to Seven. So you may be on to something. Maybe, just maybe, Tom had his eyes briefly set upon Seven before deciding to go for B'Elanna instead.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 02:57 AM   #21
exodus
Fleet Admiral

stj wrote: View Post
I never got a sense of what Tom's problem with his father was about, nor did I project any personal problems with my father onto the blank cardboard cutout.
Watch "The Great Santini" and you'll understand why it's hard having a military minded father with a personality like Tom's.
Old May 28 2012, 03:12 AM   #22
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

But Tom's ideal life was just to be in a different military, y'know with boats.

Old May 30 2012, 06:27 AM   #23
Collingwood Nick
Vice Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post
Keiko was raising a child while Miles was playing with toys and video games with Julian.
Get off his back!! O'Brien is a champ, my sort of bloke. Like Paris. It's a shame that Star Trek isn't real, we could have formed a rat pack and gotten into all sorts of hijinks.

Females Just dont get it
Old May 30 2012, 07:58 AM   #24
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Kieko had a full time job too.

Two once she started teaching.

Then she had twice as many children.

Then who took over the school after she escaped to Bajor?

Point is, there's an invisible baby sitter that we never saw... unless there's a holocloset they lock the children inside when they're at work?

And what about the Big.Love years when Kira was living as an O'Brien?

"Sigh"

Oh what about when Kieko was a 9 year old for a couple days?

molly wanted nothing to do with her.

And neither did Miles pants.

Which annoyed her because she was the same person on the inside which is where it really counts...

SEE!

Women ARE crazy!

Old May 30 2012, 08:18 PM   #25
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Collingwood Nick wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Keiko was raising a child while Miles was playing with toys and video games with Julian.
Get off his back!! O'Brien is a champ, my sort of bloke. Like Paris. It's a shame that Star Trek isn't real, we could have formed a rat pack and gotten into all sorts of hijinks.

Females Just dont get it
The Deadbeat Club, you mean.
Old May 30 2012, 11:27 PM   #26
Lord Manitou
Commander

It took some character to get B'Elanna interested in the male genre. Tom had to try repeatedly to keep their relation. He was so strong with his beliefs that they came before serving Starfleet. They kept Harry on the par with women and B'Elanna isn't a lesbian. It was Capt Janeway who saved him and as the seasons advance her trust becomes more fully bonded in him.
Sorry- I can't get out of Explorer 7.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 03:50 AM   #27
LuckyCharms
Ensign

I like the character of Tom Paris and thought he faired much better than poor Harry or Chakotay. Other than the lizard babies he had some good episodes and good development over the course of the series.
LuckyCharms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 09:49 PM   #28
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Neither. He was annoying and overused. This is a pretty standard criticism for Voyager, but for being the "bad boy" Tom was way too bland. Ooh, he submitted a report with poor grammar? What a rebel!

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 06:35 AM   #29
The Overlord
Captain

Tom was an okay character. He was kinda underdeveloped compared to some of the great characters on other Star Trek shows, but on Voyager he was more interesting then the likes of Harry Kim, Neelix and Chakotay. However it did seem kinda silly that he was put in charge of so much stuff at once. He must have insane time management skills.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 06:54 PM   #30
Purdy Bear
Lieutenant Commander

I'm afraid Tom was extremely annoying to me and I should imagine to any crew under a similar situation with such a personality. People like that usually dont last it and either jump out or get focibly removed or worse - oh walk the plank pleeeeeaaaase Tom. He was the only thing that really got my goat about Voyager other then Harry's romantic endeavours that is.
Purdy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote