New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 26 2012, 01:49 AM   #4231
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

the G-man wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
So the new major gay character is one limited to an alternative universe? Way to go, DC! Way to take a stand!
And to make matters 'worse,' this is arguably a retread of what Marvel did with Ultimate Spidey
That's true.

On another somewhat related note: Earth 2, just from the first issue is one of the more interesting books to me in the nu52. I like having a single book that might be telling lots of different stories, following lots of other people that's not a "team" book. (though I'm sure they will all form a team at one point.)
Old May 26 2012, 11:12 AM   #4232
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I glazed over reading Earrth 2. It was sure pretty, but there was something about it that just felt the same... I didn't come out of my funk till half way through Worlds finest when i realized that the girls had swapped Earths, and i love all that Shakespearian shit when they play three card Monte with secret identity.

Damian is going to be super pissed at this girl stealing his Thunder.

Before that I pummelled through 9 curious issues of Supergirl this evening.

Wow.

I've almost forgotten what a winy useless sack of piss Kara was on Smallville.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 12:23 PM   #4233
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Does Morpheus exist in the nu52?
That's a really good question. Several titles I'm reading seem to be making oblique references, but they could be implying that the series didn't happen as much as it implies that it did. They made sucha fuss about Death appearing in Action's Luthor run that I thought perhaps it still counted as preliminary to the full merging that took place in Flashpoint.

But from the viewpoint of OUR universe, I wonder if we as readers have seen it since in the "regular" universe. Sandman still took place in the regular DC universe when Morpheus confronted Destiny.
Old May 26 2012, 05:09 PM   #4234
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

So the new major gay character is one limited to an alternative universe? Way to go, DC! Way to take a stand!
The original Alan Scott was also from an alternate universe.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 06:43 PM   #4235
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
So? How does that change my point? DC stated an iconic character would be gay. Regardless of where the original Alan Scott came from, he's still 1. Not particularly iconic 2. from an Alternative Earth, not the "Prime Earth."

In other words, it's SAFE for them to do that. It might appear to be "forward" thinking, but, it's really not.
Old May 26 2012, 07:00 PM   #4236
theenglish
Rear Admiral

So? How does that change my point? DC stated an iconic character would be gay. Regardless of where the original Alan Scott came from, he's still 1. Not particularly iconic 2. from an Alternative Earth, not the "Prime Earth."

In other words, it's SAFE for them to do that. It might appear to be "forward" thinking, but, it's really not.
Once again though, DC has a number of gay characters (or had in the old universe). Making a big deal of adding yet another gay character just reeks of a sales grab. They already demonstrated their "forward thinking" ten years ago.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 07:05 PM   #4237
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

So I've started reading some of these New 52 relaunch titles, and I'm a little confused on how the timeline is working out.

Nightwing #3 opens with a "five years earlier" flashback to when Dick Grayson was still with Haly's Circus (so presumably the events in the flashback occurred before his parents were killed). I'm not seeing how five years is a plausible timeframe in which Bruce could train Dick to be Robin; Dick could shed that identity and become Nightwing; Jason Todd could be trained and be killed; and Tim Drake could both be trained as Robin and then take on the Red Robin identity so that Damian could be Robin.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 07:17 PM   #4238
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I was responding to the main thrust of your argument in the above post: that he was from an alternate universe, but Alan Scott was always an alternate universe idea in the DCU. In the Silver Age he was from Earth-2, in the post-Crisis he was a character folded into the composite Earth and now post-FP he was is back in Earth-2.
Old May 26 2012, 07:34 PM   #4239
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post

Once again though, DC has a number of gay characters (or had in the old universe). Making a big deal of adding yet another gay character just reeks of a sales grab. They already demonstrated their "forward thinking" ten years ago.

Absolutely. If I was the writer of Batwoman, I would be pissed at DC editorial...

I was responding to the main thrust of your argument in the above post: that he was from an alternate universe, but Alan Scott was always an alternate universe idea in the DCU. In the Silver Age he was from Earth-2, in the post-Crisis he was a character folded into the composite Earth and now post-FP he was is back in Earth-2.
Yeah, I know. That has very little to do with my argument. Which is: All of this what to do about a gay character, and he's not even a part of the "prime" DC universe. He exists in Earth 2... Not a particularly BOLD statement... THAT'S the thrust of my argument.

If it was Tim Drake, or Booster Gold, or Green Arrow, THEN, all of the hullabaloo might MEAN something. Hell, Batman, that would be Brave AND Bold.

But, a character that is hardly iconic, in an alternative universe that only has 1 book... Come on...
Old May 26 2012, 08:08 PM   #4240
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Absolutely. If I was the writer of Batwoman, I would be pissed at DC editorial...
I agree with most of your points, but I don't get this one. Should writers be pissed off when someone at DC invents yet another heterosexual character? "Crap, Superman being straight was totally MY thing!" Or did you mean that Batwoman's orientation is her key selling point in terms of advertising, which I could see as a problem.

The loss of Secret Six is a big problem here, too: as you're all saying, DC had interesting LGBTQ characters who weren't defined by their orientation, and nixed three of them for no good reason.
Old May 26 2012, 09:18 PM   #4241
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I mean they should be pissed (ok, a strong word, maybe not the best) because of all the press when, in fact, they've HAD a major character who is gay for years, who in the press release seems to be ignored at the moment. I think Batwoman's main selling point is the quality of the work, but how she cut through the noise initially was the orientation.
Old May 26 2012, 09:33 PM   #4242
Derishton
Vice Admiral

^ Yeah, I see your point. It is interesting that the major hoopla that surrounded Batwoman years ago has clearly struck with the mainstream media: almost every recent report noted her status. I think we forget that there was such a hoopla surrounding her, because it took so long for DC to really follow up with a consistently-published set of appearances.
Old May 26 2012, 09:39 PM   #4243
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Waaaay before Batwoman I remember this bloke at the comic shop I worked at saying, "Why do they keep putting gays in Green Lantern? Why can't they have their own comic books and leave my comics alone."

I remember thinking that it looked like he probably couldn't even pay for sex.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 09:59 PM   #4244
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Derishton wrote: View Post
^ Yeah, I see your point. It is interesting that the major hoopla that surrounded Batwoman years ago has clearly struck with the mainstream media: almost every recent report noted her status. I think we forget that there was such a hoopla surrounding her, because it took so long for DC to really follow up with a consistently-published set of appearances.
That was because they scrapped her first book by Devin Grayson, which apparently had cheesecake and then commissioned Rucka and JH Williams to do their own unique version after 52.
Old May 26 2012, 10:36 PM   #4245
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Pyscho Pere the compressed timeline has been an issue fans have brought up and complained about from the start. It's completely silly and implausible IMO, even for a comic book timeline.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote