Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 25 2012, 09:30 AM   #16
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Re: Question for Supernatural fans...

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I didn't dislike Ruby 2.0, but I did like the original incarnation more. Ruby's storyline probably would have played out in the same fashion no matter who was playing her (not going to go into details so as to avoid spoilers), but I preferred Cassidy's performance over Cortese's. Stupid budget cuts!
I saw Ruby 1 as being a bit of a Mary Sue. She's the only good demon in the universe, with a demon-killing knife, who knows how the Colt works. She's a massively overpowered protagonist.

Of course, we know how that was supposed to work out, if not for the writer's strike. Ruby 2 is still competent and still extremely dangerous, but she doesn't know everything there is to know and isn't perfect.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Aeon
Commander

Katie Cassidy's Ruby was better because quite simply she was a better actress. Or at least a better fit for the role. You couldn't really tell which way she would go next. She had a few moments of humanity and sympathy, she helped the boys in a few tight spots, but there was always some hints that maybe, just maybe, there was something else going on... but again, you couldn't really tell if it was true or not.

Genevieve Cortese portrayed Ruby pretty much like pratty teenager. Even her final speech sounded like an attention craving teen, who didn't get the birthday present she wanted even though she was supposed to be talking about the friggin' end of the world. I can't really imagine Cassidy saying the same stuff and feeling that, yeah, it is the same character.
Aeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 03:40 AM   #18
Dream
Admiral

Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I think the only female the entire fandom ever embraced was Katie Cassidy's Ruby.
Nope. They mostly hated her too.

Just check out her character's topic over at the TWOP forums.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....&#entry8971618
Old May 26 2012, 04:21 AM   #19
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^See, this is why I only post here and don't read other fan-boards. I just watch Supernatural, take it for what it is, and go my merry way. I had no idea that anyone actual cared enough to get upset about female guest stars. There are only two main characters---Dean and Sam--and two regular supporting characters---Bobby and Castiel. Everyone else just comes and goes (mostly going) and I honestly never thought about it one way or another.

The only time I got upset was when they killed off my favorite character---but then dead isn't always "dead" on Supernatural, so I just kept on watching to see how it would play out.
Old May 26 2012, 04:50 AM   #20
Skywalker
Admiral

They're crazy over at TWoP anyway. Don't take them too seriously.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 05:49 PM   #21
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Dream wrote: View Post
Vendikarr wrote: View Post
I think the only female the entire fandom ever embraced was Katie Cassidy's Ruby.
Nope. They mostly hated her too.

Just check out her character's topic over at the TWOP forums.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity....&#entry8971618
TWOP hates everything. Every other site I read Ruby 1.0 was loved.

Whenever I think of TWOP, I am reminded of Obi Wan describing Mos Eisley... "a "wretched hive of scum and villainy."
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 09:54 AM   #22
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I guess that's why they call themselves "Television Without Pity" and not "Television Shangri-La."
Old May 27 2012, 10:47 AM   #23
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Has Kansas, the band not the state, ever expressed an opinion about this TV show?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 28 2012, 11:40 PM   #24
mswood
Rear Admiral

First, the show isn't the show to have a large sustained cast. Its a dangerous world and the characters have a high death rate. But they have still created several female characters that worked. Some were intended to be one offs, some were used and killed to show the nature of the business and some weren't available for work when the writers wanted to use the characters (the reason Missouri wasn't a regular, and why Ellen wasn't used in season three).

As for the producers writing out Jo do to fan reaction, I think thats highly unlikely. As by the time the fans got to see Jo, the writers we already working past the point Jo was basically written off.

It took very little time (after seeing dailies and final edits) for the producers to see that certain aspects of what they created weren't working. That includes the Roadhouse, the psychic kids (meant to consume far more time and last much longer).

As for Jo herself, I just didn't buy the actress in the role, until Born Under a Bad Sign. From the point to the her last appearance I have nothing but positives to say about the character. And the character always maintained her attraction to Dean.

As for SPN's audience. It has long been stated by many, many people to have a larger female fan base. That really isn't accurate. It has a vocal female fan base, but they aren't the majority of the shows audience.

Which in and of itself is rather odd, as almost all scripted network shows have a larger female audience (women watch more non sports then men). But SPN through its run on the CW (and even later with DVR results) has a statistically even breakdown 50.6% male/ 49.4% female.

Even when it aired after VD where its same day audience was significantly female its DVR audience balanced it out and was primarily male.

And the show did absolutely indeed to keep using Ellen after season two, but with the studio mandated introduction of Bela, the writers strike, and the actress being unavailable during the times the writers were interested in using her, killed it. By the time season 4 came about, enough time and having much more focused stories with specific cast needs (less hunters for example), keep her off the show.
Old June 2 2012, 02:04 AM   #25
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I just finished season 3.

I know why Jared would panic, but what's Sams' great aversion to Gilmore Girls?

Y'know when they're taking the studio tour beginning of season 3 and the tour girl steering the cart said that were going to drive through Stars Hallow next?

The lad looked like someone shat on his wheetie brix.

Old June 2 2012, 02:09 AM   #26
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
I just finished season 3.

I know why Jared would panic, but what's Sams' great aversion to Gilmore Girls?

Y'know when they're taking the studio tour beginning of season 3 and the tour girl steering the cart said that were going to drive through Stars Hallow next?

The lad looked like someone shat on his wheetie brix.
That's the terrible secret of how he really paid for four years of college. He played Dean Forrester on the Gilmore Girls.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 05:27 AM   #27
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Just finished Season 2 myself, but it'll probably be awhile before I start S3 (just because I've got other stuff I mean to watch next). Turns out I'd actually seen a decent amount of the back half first-run; at some point I'd checked the show out and followed it off and on for a bit. Crossroad Blues, Playthings, Nightshifter, Houses of the Holy, Tall Tales, Roadkill, Holywood Babylon, and All Hell Breaks Loose Part 2, to be specific. So that's 8 of the 22. Somehow I had thought I'd seen the show a bit later, but obviously wrong about that, haha. Also a lot of things make more sense in context now, obviously.

I did kinda think it was cheap that they just blew up/burned down the Roadhouse entirely off-screen, but it was a nice twist to find I'll grant. Just... cheap.

Is there another tour of the studio at the start of Season 3? Cause the "Gilmore Girls" reference was in "Hollywood Babylon." It was a nice nod to Padalecki's earlier career.
Old June 2 2012, 06:14 AM   #28
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

A few seasons later they break through the fourth wall into the Supernatural set of the TV show we watch, then have to pretend to be Jarod and Jenson while still saving the day, while avoiding Misha Collins who is tweeting everything they say.

Season 3 is only 16 episodes long.

Writers strike.

The road house was barely in 5 episodes.

The Winchesters just talked about it a lot.

Old July 1 2012, 03:08 AM   #29
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Well, I'm now at the end of Season 3, but not sure I want to continue tbh. Oh, the Dean stuff was good and I know it'll turn out and provide good drama, and Sam going darker is interesting, but Bela's fate left me feeling... really uneasy, considering what we learn about her childhood in that same episode. Mean-spirited, I guess is the term that comes to mind. I went ahead and spoiled myself for the show to see if she comes back or we get followup, and shock of all shocks

I dunno, should I keep going? I'm not one that often complains about these things, but "rape as backstory means you're going to hell" is a bit icky.
Old July 1 2012, 03:24 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

Kestrel wrote: View Post
I dunno, should I keep going? I'm not one that often complains about these things, but "rape as backstory means you're going to hell" is a bit icky.
Bela didn't go to hell because she was raped. She went to hell because she made a deal with a demon to get her parents murdered. Even in real life. hiring a hitman to murder anyone for whatever reason that would get that person in prison.

I'm very surprised you are such fan of the character. She was mostly disliked by the fanbase because every time she appeared she made the Winchester boys look like idiots.

In this show there are rarely any happy endings for supporting characters. This is something you need to keep in mind.

If you have made it all the way to the end of season 3, you should at least check out season 4. Many fans consider season 4 to be the best season of the series. It would be a shame if you stopped watching before seeing that yourself.