Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old April 11 2012, 03:36 AM   #91
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Re: Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
Wow, they really are trying to duplicate the original. They're even retaining the skin coloring mistake from the early Gamilus characters.

http://www.yamato2199.net/character.html
Wow, that's honestly one decision I do not agree with.
From what I understand it was a direct choice in order to convey the size of the Gamilon Empire.

These are some officers from a previously conquored race that now serve the Greater Gamilon Star Empire. Sort of like having Gauls serving in the Roman Army during the times of Imperial Rome.
Citizenship via loyal military service.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11 2012, 02:37 PM   #92
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

beamMe wrote: View Post
Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
They didn't change the theme song. Nice. Makes the English dub that much easier. Again.
I think Americans can bear the thought of a Yamato instead of a Argo saving the Earth.
When Star Blazers came out, we still had many WWII vets and Pearl Harbor survivors. Now, most of them are going or gone. So I understand the choice made. But now, the original name may be used.
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2012, 06:01 PM   #93
Yevetha
Commodore

The theme song sound like some Russian sailor song.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 03:23 AM   #94
Lynn Minmay
Captain

Previews for episodes two and three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCxIe8P3FII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mqyunsCsNo
Old May 3 2012, 03:05 PM   #95
Yevetha
Commodore

First video 7 secons. It looks like an experimental german fighter. Any idea on which one might be based?
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3 2012, 04:48 PM   #96
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Yevetha wrote:
First video 7 secons. It looks like an experimental german fighter. Any idea on which one might be based?
My guess would be a Horten HO or Gotha GO 229.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5 2012, 11:53 PM   #97
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Yeah likely the Gotha. The originals from 1974 were more based on the American Flying Wing that was much more well known at the time.

I will say that the episode 3 preview with Kirishima and Yamato together is quite a nice touch. In the original, after the old Earth Flagship lands at the middle of the first episode we never see it in space again (aside from the usual flashback to the Battle of Pluto). There is also a lot not in that preview. They show the ship starting to Warp from Mars to Jupiter, but not much else around that event...and I'm positive there is some interesting stuff going on come episode 3.

But that, episodes 4, 5, and 6 will be released together June 30th in the theaters. Then the BD come out July 27th...were most of us may be able to see them.

From the translators notes it seems these ships now have shields. Or at least some form of barrier that protects the hull for a short time before anything even gets to the armor. Also the notes say the Cosmo Zero, as a squadron leader fighter, has a barrier system to help defend the rest of its squadron mates.

Notes place Yamato's fighter strength at 2 Cosmo Zeros and 36 Comso Falcons (the new name for the Black Tigers...because today in Japan, "Black Tiger" is a type of shrimp, and the "Falcon" was the Imperial Army's fighter compared to the Imperial Navy's "Zero"), plus a small number of other craft.

Yamato has more or less the same weapons she had before, though they have added a set of missile launchers on her underside (a long unprotected side of the ship). That and she is a little bigger than before at 333 meters long (which was reportedly what she was scaled to in 1974, but reconned to be 265 meters to match the IJN Battleship Yamato's length in the 1977 film version of the story). Also means her guns are bigger...the main guns are 48 cm (roughly 19 inch guns) while the secondaries are 20 cm (8 inch guns). The Wave Motion Gun is 200 cm wide...though it looks more than two meters wide to me. Maybe that's just the round part in the middle and not the opening in the hull.

Last edited by Ithekro; May 6 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old May 25 2012, 02:20 AM   #98
Lynn Minmay
Captain

New PV for Movie/BD/DVD #2 (which should cover episodes three to six).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=or09dSlxltM
Old May 25 2012, 03:46 AM   #99
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

Do want.

A lot going on there in just a preview of four episodes.
Old May 25 2012, 06:43 AM   #100
Lynn Minmay
Captain

I ordered Volume 1 from Amazon Japan...and yes folks it comes with English subtitles.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%AE%87%E5...7914695&sr=8-1
Old May 25 2012, 11:39 AM   #101
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Sweeet!

Still got my fingers crossed that this'll be a hit.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 06:12 PM   #102
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Lynn Minmay wrote: View Post
I ordered Volume 1 from Amazon Japan...and yes folks it comes with English subtitles.

Good to know as I just got an e-mail from CD-Japan that my copy shipped (should be at my door in a few days); not cheap though as with shipping charges, etc. it's about $95.00 (but yeah, I don't 'splurge' on myself that often and I have fond memories on the original "Space Battleship Yamato" series - so I'm will to part with that amount of cash for a disc. I'll probably get the rest as they come out too.)

And unfortunately, with the way the series film rights are locked in the U.S. atm - I don't see this run being voice-dubbed or syndicated here anytime in the near future.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 08:01 PM   #103
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Got and watched the first Yamato 2199 Blu-Ray with English subtitles. LOVED IT! IMO I guess they finally have an English translator that really know Engklish as these read like the script was written in English overall 9which hasn't been my experience with Japanese done english subtitled stuff in the past - the subs were very well done.)

As for what they've donbe in retconning elements of the original Yamato story - loved that too. They really take some of the more questionable stuff in the original and give a valid reason for it; and I like the new characters they've added so far.

It also puts a new spin on Yuki based on some of these mentioned changes. I do wish I know Japanese sop I could get something out of the included audio commentary track done by the cast (no, surprisingly it doesn't have an English subtitle track .)

I'm hooked and have just ordered the second Yamato Blu-Ray (due for release on 7/27/12) and also will have an English subtitle track.

Really enjoying what they've done so far, and (for me anyway as this was what really got me into Anime) is really worth the cost and hassle of oridering from Japan directly.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2012, 05:03 AM   #104
Ithekro
Fleet Captain

I have been able to watch the first two episodes now as well.

The story is basically the same. Slightly more condensed at this point due to it being planned for 26 episodes rather than 39 (the original was planned for 39 and cut to 26 during production due to ratings....kind of like Star Trek).

The production staff says that after the second film things will be different. Already it looks like they are taking some ideas from the manga and cutting out some of the sillier or illogical elements of the story. The ship looks like an old battleship because they were using that as a cover to fool the Gamilons into not paying it any mind (under what looks like the wreck of Yamato). To cover the bottom of the ship, they now have missile tubes. Plus a higher chance of three dimentional combat were the ship pitches and rolls to bring the guns to bear.

The crew seems less generic. Everyone had a position prior to Yamato. Either Naval or Army Forces it seems. The uniforms have much more detail (ranks, units patches, and other things). The male to female population seems to be roughly 7 to 3 (three women for every seven men). And while the Army Women wear skirts, the Naval Women wear pants just like the men.

They even have included some things for what would have been the laters series..."Captain Gideon" (Hijikata) has a final talk with "Captain Avatar" (Okita) about going in Okita's place. Hijikata would have gone due to Okita's injuries, but Okita insists on finishing this mission. They have known each othe rlong enough that Kijikata knows he can't change his friend's mind. It is a touch like that that makes the future relationship between Hijikata and Yamato's crew feel more special. There were hints of it orignally, but this makes it better.
Old June 6 2012, 11:30 AM   #105
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Lynn Minmay wrote: View Post

Yeah, I'm there then!