Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 21 2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Question for Supernatural fans...

So I've started watching the second season (I know, late to the party), and I'm enjoying it so far something like 6 episodes in maybe, and especially liking Ellen and Jo in the mix. So I get to the big reveal about why Ellen got so upset when Jo ran off with the boys and the way the episode ended made me go look up the characters to make sure they'd be back. But what struck me as really weird was reading about negative fan reaction to Jo "intruding" and Kripke's decision to write her off... and that from then on he'd only introduce women as antagonists.

My question is... umm, why? I really like Jo and Ellen, and while I don't really expect them to become more than heavily recurring characters (especially now that I accidentally spoiled myself, haha) they provide a nice addition to the mix. Granted I like larger casts in general. I don't get the negative reaction just because she might've been a love interest, and I really don't get the "we'll only introduce women as antagonists from now on." Is there really a segment of Supernatural fandom that was "Eww... a *girl* hanging out with Sam and Dean?!"
"Lie to me."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Question for Supernatural fans...

I never really got it, either. I guess people thought Jo was coming off as trying too hard to look cool in comparison to the brothers. Or that she was there to upstage one or both of them.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 09:33 AM   #3
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Same here. I liked them as supporting characters and I never understood the negative reaction. Allegedly, the female fanbase had some jealousy about anybody coming between them and their boys; I don't know how true that is.
Old May 21 2012, 09:45 AM   #4
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Allegedly, the female fanbase had some jealousy about anybody coming between them and their boys; I don't know how true that is.
A lot of the female fanbase get upset about anybody coming between the boys.
Old May 21 2012, 03:29 PM   #5
issreliant
Lieutenant Commander

View issreliant's Twitter Profile

it was fan reaction, (fangirls) but also that the love intrest between dean and jo never really worked, it came off as very big brother little sister, to me atleast. also that kripke didnt like the idea of the road house, too much like a perment home for the boys, and ellen and jo do return and have some big storylines in the future seasons.
Old May 21 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

AntonyF wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Allegedly, the female fanbase had some jealousy about anybody coming between them and their boys; I don't know how true that is.
A lot of the female fanbase get upset about anybody coming between the boys.
Bah, what foolishness. Why deep-six a good character over that kind of jealousy? My only complaint about SN season one was almost every woman they ran into seemed to be evil or dead meat.

issreliant wrote: View Post
it was fan reaction, (fangirls) but also that the love intrest between dean and jo never really worked, it came off as very big brother little sister, to me atleast. also that kripke didnt like the idea of the road house, too much like a perment home for the boys, and ellen and jo do return and have some big storylines in the future seasons.
Even if she hadn't turned into a full-flown love interest (though it was working for me personally) having a younger, eager hunter with them would've been a fun dynamic. And it's not like they've spent that much time at the roadhouse so far, plus it does a nice job expanding the universe to have a place where hunters can come. Ah well, not like I'll stop watching.
"Lie to me."
Old May 21 2012, 06:23 PM   #7
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Well, most characters end up as "dead meat" on Supernatural--whether male or female. The Sheriff, Jody Mills, is the only heroic female character who sticks around long term---but her role is rather small.

Actually, the only people you can count on surviving (more or less) are Sam & Dean. Everyone else is fair game. Sort of.
Old May 21 2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Haha, that makes sense yeah.
"Lie to me."
Old May 21 2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Supernatural is probably unique in TV history in that it is a series who's fans are primarily female yet HATE any attempt at introducing female characters. Every attempt at introducing a recurring female character has run afoul of this phenomenon.

The fangirls want their boys and ONLY their boys. Its ironic in that the male fans have actually liked some of the women introduced.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 01:48 AM   #10
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

^ That is ironic, yeah.

Ok, different question but still from Season 2. Does Gordon Walker the over-the-top Hunter remind anybody else of Charles Gunn, but gone over the edge? Not just because he's a black hunter but because he shows up in a vampire episode and his backstory is that his sister was attacked and turned and he had to kill her and has been hunting - especially vampires - ever since. Or is it just me?
"Lie to me."
Old May 25 2012, 02:46 AM   #11
Skywalker
Admiral

I hadn't made that connection when I first saw the episodes. It could have been a deliberate reference, but I doubt it was really intentional.
Old May 25 2012, 03:18 AM   #12
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Kestrel wrote: View Post
Supernatural is probably unique in TV history in that it is a series who's fans are primarily female yet HATE any attempt at introducing female characters. Every attempt at introducing a recurring female character has run afoul of this phenomenon.

The fangirls want their boys and ONLY their boys. Its ironic in that the male fans have actually liked some of the women introduced.
I think the only female the entire fandom ever embraced was Katie Cassidy's Ruby. She was hot, tough and had no romantic designs on either Winchester boy.

When the Ruby character came back she was hot for Sam, and frankly, wasn't as good an actress as Cassidy. Everyone seemed to dislike the second Ruby.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 03:29 AM   #13
Skywalker
Admiral

I didn't dislike Ruby 2.0, but I did like the original incarnation more. Ruby's storyline probably would have played out in the same fashion no matter who was playing her (not going to go into details so as to avoid spoilers), but I preferred Cassidy's performance over Cortese's. Stupid budget cuts!
Old May 25 2012, 04:28 AM   #14
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I hadn't made that connection when I first saw the episodes. It could have been a deliberate reference, but I doubt it was really intentional.
Could just be me then. I've been kind of mentally comparing the two shows throughout anyway, which might have been part of my OP as well as the Gordon thing.
"Lie to me."
Old May 25 2012, 04:37 AM   #15
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

No one in the female cast compares to Becky.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote