Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 24 2012, 03:58 PM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: The changes in the Enterprise-D bridge in Generations...

Maurice wrote: View Post
I thought it was ugly. I don't care about the reason.
Agreed.

And why were all the lights on the ship turned off? So we could see that piss yellow sunlight coming in through the windows?
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 05:23 PM   #17
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Exactly. Something the TV show could never afford to show. It must be cool, being on a spaceship, alien sunlight pouring in the windows. Different stars, different colours....

Either that or someone broke the "Polarize the windows" control, and they all just rolled with it.
Old May 24 2012, 09:03 PM   #18
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
In-universe, my theory is that the Enterprise-D was only in the first phase of her operational life during the TV series and was now about to embark on her second phase--perhaps finally embarking on a 10-15 year mission of exploration.
Oops. That mission proved short-lived, didn't it?!
Old May 24 2012, 09:36 PM   #19
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

^^^
Very much so.
Old May 24 2012, 09:47 PM   #20
Saul
Rear Admiral

It was just more of a movie feel.

But for an in universe explanation check out the book 'Rogue Saucer' which took place between season 7 and the movie. The Bridge is severely damaged in a Maquis attack and needs to be refitted. While they wait for that they test out a new Saucer for the ship which can land and take off planets and has extra weapons etc. The Maquis steal this and eventually it crashes too with Riker on board. Very fun novel.
Old May 24 2012, 10:19 PM   #21
marksound
Fleet Captain

Those bridge stations were always there, just cloaked.
marksound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 04:19 AM   #22
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yep. The TV version was a lot better.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 05:53 AM   #23
Lance
Commodore

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
We are in agreement, gentlemen.

I often see the GENS bridge being held up as better than the television incarnation. But I think a moodier lighting scheme and more bridge stations kind of misses the point of the television bridge. What appeals to me so much about the 1701-D bridge was the way it had that clean, uncluttered look. Compared to so many sci-fi series which have dark and dirty ships full of hundreds of pointless blinking background computer screens that we may never actually see anybody using, the 1701-D's decor was fresh, bright and completely different to anything else on television. It was unique. And that counts for a lot.

While I do understand why they made the changes that they did in GENS (the darker lighting hides the fact that the sets built for television looked a bit on the cheap side for a movie production), for me the television version has just got a certain... something which the GENS version lacks.

Last edited by Lance; May 25 2012 at 06:03 AM.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 06:02 PM   #24
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Saul wrote: View Post
But for an in universe explanation check out the book 'Rogue Saucer' which took place between season 7 and the movie. The Bridge is severely damaged in a Maquis attack and needs to be refitted. While they wait for that they test out a new Saucer for the ship which can land and take off planets and has extra weapons etc. The Maquis steal this and eventually it crashes too with Riker on board. Very fun novel.
The moral? Never leave Riker in charge.
Old May 26 2012, 08:11 PM   #25
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Was Troi flying that saucer, too?
Old May 26 2012, 09:57 PM   #26
Lt. LaForge
Lieutenant Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
We are in agreement, gentlemen.

I often see the GENS bridge being held up as better than the television incarnation. But I think a moodier lighting scheme and more bridge stations kind of misses the point of the television bridge. What appeals to me so much about the 1701-D bridge was the way it had that clean, uncluttered look. Compared to so many sci-fi series which have dark and dirty ships full of hundreds of pointless blinking background computer screens that we may never actually see anybody using, the 1701-D's decor was fresh, bright and completely different to anything else on television. It was unique. And that counts for a lot.

While I do understand why they made the changes that they did in GENS (the darker lighting hides the fact that the sets built for television looked a bit on the cheap side for a movie production), for me the television version has just got a certain... something which the GENS version lacks.
Indeed. People moan about the "living room" feel. that is what I love about it. Best bridge ever in my opinion (E-D...Series that is).
Lt. LaForge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 11:50 PM   #27
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Count me as another fan that thought the Generations bridge was the best one for the E-D. The combination of the more cinematic lighting and extra consoles sold me on the realism of the set more than most of the episodes did (but TNG-R shows that the big problem was with the tape they used to edit the show, since it made everything look worse). It's a shame they blew up the ship in Generations, because the Generations bridge would've meshed wonderfully with the DS9/FC uniforms.
Old May 27 2012, 08:03 AM   #28
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Speaking of weird set changes in Generations...the oddest one to reconcile for me was the change in engineering. In Encounter at Farpoint there are actually 4 corridors that run into engineering. After the pilot that number was reduced to 2 and the entrances were rather crudely covered up with large computer panels. They stayed that way for seven years. The amusing part about the change was that despite the addition of the computers they never bothered to change the carpet to reflect the fact that the opening was now a wall. So if you look closely at set pictures, you se the beige border on the carpet, that usually curves with the walls, just turn and go straight into a wall for no reason.
That's because they still used the corridors behind those removable computer "plugs" in the wall in order to use the Engineering open area to represent other parts of the ship. They took out the plugs, took out the pool table, turned off the Engineering computer panels, etc. and suddenly we have extra corridors for the characters to walk through.
Old May 27 2012, 08:09 AM   #29
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral

Here's an example from "The Pegasus" -- that's "Engineering" behind them, but it isn't in-universe:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...pegasus019.jpg
Old May 27 2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

SonicRanger wrote: View Post
Here's an example from "The Pegasus" -- that's "Engineering" behind them, but it isn't in-universe:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...pegasus019.jpg
I wonder why they filmed it from that angle. Dropping the hazard door looks really crude. Usually when they wanted to use that area as a corridor they filmed it from the other angle with master sit board and simply turned off the Warp core lights.

I think TNG was the only modern Trek series with an engineering set that was so generally designed that it could be used for multiple purposes.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote