RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Posts: 5,358,821
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 507
Newest member: space2050


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 23 2012, 05:33 PM   #31
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

KoTOR is so much fun as darkside caster (my favourite build is 5/15 scout/consular - you guys know about the awesomeness of level saving, right?), especially once you're developed enough to just AoE everything and cause lots of chaos!
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 09:26 PM   #32
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor
 
Timelord Victorious's Avatar
 
Location: Germany, Earth, the Solar System
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

Geckothan wrote: View Post
KoTOR is so much fun as darkside caster (my favourite build is 5/15 scout/consular - you guys know about the awesomeness of level saving, right?), especially once you're developed enough to just AoE everything and cause lots of chaos!
Yes, i always try to level only the absolute minimum to get off Taris, some missions are a bit difficult to do that way, though... beating Starkiller for example can be near impossible if you save too much.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 09:55 PM   #33
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

I did try that, but I was struggling at Lv5 and had to level up to 7 to get off of Taris. I did at least choose my feats and stats with the expectation of building a strong, single lightsabre wielding guardian. On my first attempted playthrough (well, the first one that got off Taris) I had no idea my character would become a Jedi so I built her to be a heavy weapons & armour specialist. Totally hobbled my character when she got to Dantooine.

I might try level saving at '5' again if I decide to do a dark side playthrough.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 02:22 PM   #34
Geckothan
Fleet Captain
 
Geckothan's Avatar
 
Location: People's Republic of Britainistan
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Geckothan wrote: View Post
KoTOR is so much fun as darkside caster (my favourite build is 5/15 scout/consular - you guys know about the awesomeness of level saving, right?), especially once you're developed enough to just AoE everything and cause lots of chaos!
Yes, i always try to level only the absolute minimum to get off Taris, some missions are a bit difficult to do that way, though... beating Starkiller for example can be near impossible if you save too much.
It's always possible to beat him even with incredibly gimped characters if you use lots of buffs/energy shields and just kite him around with grenades, though it might take a few attempts.
__________________
You're a classic example of the inverse ratio between the size of the mouth and the size of the brain.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 10:07 AM   #35
CorporalClegg
Vice Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

^
All it takes is four plasma grenades (even on difficult) as long as he doesn't save on more than two of them. With the best armor upgraded and best shield, you can just strafe left and right and spam the grenades for an easy kill.

Honestly, I think the Governor is the hardest part of a Level 2 run, especially with a Scoundrel. Yikes!
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2012, 08:04 PM   #36
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

I think I've finally encountered a game breaking bug in Kotor2. I'm at the part where you clear all the sith out of the Telos station, Mandalore turns up, asks if I'm ready then a pre-rendered cutscene of Republic ships arriving plays then...a black screen. If I save and reload then I'm right back where I was, but I can't go anywhere. Mandalore is still there, but talking to him again just brings up the usual conversation tree and there's no way to use the exit he's standing next to.

The bugger of it is that the last save before I got to this area is all the way back in the HK factory (don't know why the bothered restoring that as it's a bloody tedious slog!)
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 05:03 PM   #37
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

OK, so I reloaded and played through from the HK factory onwards, got to the same point and the same thing happens...bugger. Don't know what I've broken but I've done some googling and can't find anyone else with the same issue, so it must be something I've done. Oh well, looks like I won't get to see Kotor 2's famously disappointing ending after all.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 07:46 PM   #38
Camren
Commodore
 
Location: London, UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

Reverend wrote: View Post
OK, so I reloaded and played through from the HK factory onwards, got to the same point and the same thing happens...bugger. Don't know what I've broken but I've done some googling and can't find anyone else with the same issue, so it must be something I've done. Oh well, looks like I won't get to see Kotor 2's famously disappointing ending after all.
You're not missing much. Kreia has some interesting info to reveal towards the end but beyond that it's entirely forgettable.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 09:40 PM   #39
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

^That was kind of what I was looking forward to though. I've just started reading the Revan novel (my first SW book in a decade!) and it's getting to the bit where they're talking about the Exile, so I wanted to be caught up.

Not to worry though, I'm sure I can find an LP on youtube and see what I've missed.


Side note: By an astonishing coincidence, I appear to have picked the canon gender and appearance, which is a first for me!
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 10:09 PM   #40
Camren
Commodore
 
Location: London, UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

Reverend wrote: View Post
^That was kind of what I was looking forward to though. I've just started reading the Revan novel (my first SW book in a decade!) and it's getting to the bit where they're talking about the Exile, so I wanted to be caught up.

Not to worry though, I'm sure I can find an LP on youtube and see what I've missed.


Side note: By an astonishing coincidence, I appear to have picked the canon gender and appearance, which is a first for me!
If you didn't get to it, there's also the "explanation" from all the Jedi Masters that you rescued (if you didn't kill them all) which reveals information about the protagonist. I found it to be somewhat nonsensical but I suppose it was another landmark moment in the game.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2012, 10:54 PM   #41
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

There's a lot about this game that feel nonsensical. G0-T0 probably take the cake though. Maybe I missed something, or the RC mod glitched out some dialogue, but I had to look him up to figure out what he was about. I mean, you blow up the exchange ship and this floating ball shows up on the Ebon Hawk and invites itself into your group. For some reason I thought he was being remotely operated by whoever but that bounty out on you, but apparantly the droid itself was running the Exchange. I totally missed that in-game.

But yeah, that whole bit about being a "wound in the force" and leaching off everyone else didn't make any sense to me at all. It always seemed to me that Kreia was the one leaching off of the PC from the get go. I mean it was hardly shocking when she turned up and fried all the masters.

Actually, I'd say the main problem with the plot isn't the lack of clarity so much as the lack of purpose. I mean it's never really clear what's going, but it's even less clear *why* you have to go on this quest. There's no clear goal or even a clear antagonist to drive the plot, just a vague mystery about the PC's past, two Sith villains who don't do very much and Kreia who, right from her first appearance was clearly a darkside user.

..still, I'd like to see how it plays out.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 02:22 AM   #42
Itisnotlogical
Commodore
 
Itisnotlogical's Avatar
 
Location: Shufflin', shufflin', shufflin'...
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

I was very interested in the quest- I loved how everything was vague and mystic, but I was a little disappointed to learn that nothing was ever actually clarified.
__________________
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2012, 08:08 PM   #43
JRoss
Captain
 
JRoss's Avatar
 
Location: Stain'd-by-the-Sea
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

I'll bet that you'll hate the second one, OP, if the first one didn't grab you. Tedium factor increases by about 4 in the sequel.
__________________
Thunderegg Productions, a new indie publisher of RPG supplements
JRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 04:50 PM   #44
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral
 
firehawk12's Avatar
 
Location: EXILE + ATTON = GUUUUUUSH!!!! (pic by aimo)
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

Reverend wrote: View Post
There's a lot about this game that feel nonsensical. G0-T0 probably take the cake though. Maybe I missed something, or the RC mod glitched out some dialogue, but I had to look him up to figure out what he was about. I mean, you blow up the exchange ship and this floating ball shows up on the Ebon Hawk and invites itself into your group. For some reason I thought he was being remotely operated by whoever but that bounty out on you, but apparantly the droid itself was running the Exchange. I totally missed that in-game.

But yeah, that whole bit about being a "wound in the force" and leaching off everyone else didn't make any sense to me at all. It always seemed to me that Kreia was the one leaching off of the PC from the get go. I mean it was hardly shocking when she turned up and fried all the masters.

Actually, I'd say the main problem with the plot isn't the lack of clarity so much as the lack of purpose. I mean it's never really clear what's going, but it's even less clear *why* you have to go on this quest. There's no clear goal or even a clear antagonist to drive the plot, just a vague mystery about the PC's past, two Sith villains who don't do very much and Kreia who, right from her first appearance was clearly a darkside user.

..still, I'd like to see how it plays out.
Story-wise, it's very much a middle chapter to a trilogy that will never get finished.

I do find the story more interesting than the standard "good" vs "evil" thing though, even if the only conclusion we get for it is a lame book that no one is going to read.
__________________
The best reason to watch Curling:
Johnson Sisters!

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2012, 11:35 PM   #45
Itisnotlogical
Commodore
 
Itisnotlogical's Avatar
 
Location: Shufflin', shufflin', shufflin'...
Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

Star Wars in general has a very clearly-defined good vs. evil division that makes it very hard for me to stay interested in the franchise anymore. KOTOR 2 was amazing because it brought some ambiguity in to the equation, in that good intentions != good results. Sadly, it looks like KOTOR2 will continue to be the exception to the rule for a long time, maybe to the end of the franchise's lifespan.
__________________
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star wars

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.