Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 24 2012, 02:55 PM   #16
gazomg
Captain

Re: Does anyone else dislike Keiko O'brien?

Certainly not the type of woman I would want to be hooked up with.

She seemed to be softer and kinder and less aggressive in TNG, in DS9 she became a tyrant.
Even when the pahraites took over her there was not much of a difference

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 02:55 PM   #17
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
I think it's a bit ludicrous that people accuse Keiko of being a "god-awful, horrible bitch" while failing to cite even one specific instance in which she behaved in that manner. O'Brien, of course, was a Saint.
"Think about when the 2 of them are discussing about how they always eat what she wants to eat so she agrees to try his favorite foods. She complains the whole time he describes Irish cuisine then is discusted when it is laid before her and she barely tries it. I understand if she is vegan or something, but she was very disrespectful of something he enjoyed. "

There's one I gave yesterday. Or how about after Miles got her a trip to explore a region on Bajor for like 3 months and then she says she is going back for a few more weeks. She doesn't get his feelings about it, just tells him she's going. When he gets upset because he misses his wife and she just tells him she's going without getting his feelings, she tells him another guy on the expedition said he would over-react. Oh yeah, Keiko, Miles is going to like you and a dude you work with talking about how unreasonable your husband is.
Old May 24 2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

gazomg wrote: View Post
She seemed to be softer and kinder and less aggressive in TNG, in DS9 she became a tyrant.
Well part of her attitude to begin with on DS9 was that she didn't want to leave the E-D and go to an old station to begin with. Once she got there she didn't have a place and felt useless. She then got her school but had to condent with religious nuts, a dwindling school role, before closing it down. She then got the chance to turn her hand back to her passion and headed to Bajor, then the war broke out and she returned to Earth to be safe.

All of that would apply strain and pressure to any relationship. So she may snipe at Miles every so often, but at the core of their relationship they are very much in love.
Old May 24 2012, 03:13 PM   #19
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

You can love someone and still treat them like crap.

When the issue of them coming to DS9, they seemed to indicate that they discussed the changes before they came to DS9 so that Keiko knew what she was getting into with the negatives. I often saw Miles trying to discuss issues with Keiko but she would act like a teenager girl determined to get her own way. Her chief complain was she was bored. Hell, quit whining, put on your big girl panties and find something to do! Oh, your bored, poor Keiko!
Old May 24 2012, 03:25 PM   #20
Ezri D
Lieutenant

She was not that important during DS9, just a wife and a mother. Still, O'Brian the man needed a wife. As I hate to say, if someone in Star Trek was going to come out as a gay character, it would have been him.
Ezri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 04:45 PM   #21
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

To be fair, I can totally see it being the case that when Miles raised the issue of transferring to DS9 he put a rather rosy spin on the situation (heck, perhaps he wasn't given an honest depiction of the situation himself, or just didn't believe it would be as bad as it was). And let's not pretend he isn't the type who'd love the idea of the challenge of putting the station back together. As he says in "Emissary", when Keiko first saw their quarters she talked about moving back to Earth. It's not as though she ever claimed to be happy about moving to the station.

If you want to look at it as who sacrificed more, I think Keiko wins.

I also think that if she had been happy all the time and there hadn't been any tension in their relationship then we'd see exactly the same sort of thread we have right here, except the complaints would be more along the lines of, "That was so unrealistic! Keiko threw away everything when she moved to DS9 but then was the perfect submissive little wife when she got there! How stereotypical!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 05:00 PM   #22
Ezri D
Lieutenant

I also think that if she had been happy all the time and there hadn't been any tension in their relationship then we'd see exactly the same sort of thread we have right here, except the complaints would be more along the lines of, "That was so unrealistic! Keiko threw away everything when she moved to DS9 but then was the perfect submissive little wife when she got there! How stereotypical!"
Is there really away way to make her a stronger character, and still be a wife to the only major non-officer, and being only a civilian? If Keiko and the chief were officers, she could be more important. Still, she was a better character then Captain Picard's barber and looked blue.
Ezri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 06:44 PM   #23
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

All those excursions exploring the GQ and they never wanted a botonist? All the work Bashir did creating new vaccines and he could never have used a botonist?

There was plenty of interesting work for Keiko to do if her or the writers wanted to find it. I've known couples with careers that didn't work well with a relationship who managed to respect their marriage and each other far more than Keiko did.
Old May 24 2012, 06:45 PM   #24
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Ezri D wrote: View Post
She was not that important during DS9, just a wife and a mother. Still, O'Brian the man needed a wife. As I hate to say, if someone in Star Trek was going to come out as a gay character, it would have been him.
Really!?! If ANYONE could have been gay, it was Garak who has actually been said was a gay character. How does your gaydar pick up O'Brien more than anyone else?
Old May 24 2012, 06:52 PM   #25
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
Ezri D wrote: View Post
Really!?! If ANYONE could have been gay, it was Garak who has actually been said was a gay character. How does your gaydar pick up O'Brien more than anyone else?
I always got a bromance vibe off of Bashir and O'Brien. If anybody had to come out, it should have been those two. They got along great together (and even bickered like an old married couple)
Old May 24 2012, 07:02 PM   #26
gazomg
Captain

maybe rosalind chao is a great actress,

I have seen her play parts in other shows where she was a bitch, like law and order CI.It seemed to come natural to her

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 07:05 PM   #27
Turd Ferguson
Commodore

gazomg wrote: View Post
maybe rosalind chao is a great actress,

I have seen her play parts in other shows where she was a bitch, like law and order CI.It seemed to come natural to her
All I know is I was enjoying Six Feet Under til I saw the dreaded "Guest Starring Rosalind Chao," and, lo and behold, she played a total bitch. Shocker, I know
Old May 24 2012, 07:12 PM   #28
Leviathan
Commander

...maybe Klinger turned her evil?
Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 08:23 PM   #29
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

I think it's a bit ludicrous that people accuse Keiko of being a "god-awful, horrible bitch" while failing to cite even one specific instance in which she behaved in that manner.

Read the second post in this thread, DonIago. My post.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 09:10 PM   #30
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^I'm sure Miles did something to deserve it. Or if he hadn't, that he soon would.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote