Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Plagues of Night.
Outstanding 58 52.25%
Above Average 35 31.53%
Average 11 9.91%
Below Average 5 4.50%
Poor 2 1.80%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 24 2012, 08:33 AM   #46
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Well I should get my copy early next week as the Book Depositary has said my pre-order is ready and being sent out to me.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 11:07 AM   #47
zarkon
Captain

This is the first trek book I haven't preordered in a while.

Waiting to see if anyone who hated rboe waxes lyrical about this.
Old May 24 2012, 12:42 PM   #48
Mage
Commodore

zarkon wrote: View Post

You could read it yourself, and see what YOU think, instead of listening to biased reviewers.

Yes, I know that's harsh.... but I'll bet there are already readers outthere boycotting this because of RBeO. So what's wrong with forming your own opinion by actually reading it?
Old May 24 2012, 12:46 PM   #49
Sjaddix
Lieutenant Commander

nothing wrong with getting other peoples opinions first although that usually requires spoilers which can sometimes ruin the whole reading experience. I suppose he can just get ratings on Sisko and ask non specific questions like is he being built back up or getting wrecked more.

which reminds me has anything bad happenned to Picard? nothing stands out for me. I mean Janeway got killed off. Sisko is splitting the fanbase right now.
Sjaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 01:24 PM   #50
zarkon
Captain

I think the only people dicked around right now are sisko & bashir. I guess Geordie does with his love life but I find that hilarious to be honest.

I'm personally happy that Janeway's bit the dust since...she's a mass murderer and all.

Mage wrote: View Post
You could read it yourself, and see what YOU think, instead of listening to biased reviewers.

Yes, I know that's harsh.... but I'll bet there are already readers outthere boycotting this because of RBeO. So what's wrong with forming your own opinion by actually reading it?
Not harsh, just....silly. The likelyhood I will see this in any local bookshops is close to zero, libraries even less so. And I'd need to read a pretty serious chunk of it to know if it was worth buying so short excerpts are out too. And since I believe in voting with my wallet I certainly won't be buying it unless I know that people who had the same problems with rboe as I did enjoyed it.

Last edited by zarkon; May 24 2012 at 01:56 PM.
zarkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 01:29 PM   #51
Mage
Commodore

Not harsh, just....sily. The likelyhood I will see this in any local bookshops is close to zero, libraries even less so. And I'd need to read a pretty serious chunk of it to know if it was worth buying so short excerpts are out too. And since I believe in voting with my wallet I certainly won't be buying it unless I know that people who had the same problems with rboe as I did enjoyed it.
Sily? I can't find any Trek books here either, but the book's only 8 euro's. Not that much. Certainly worthy of spending so I can form my own opinion.
Old May 24 2012, 01:46 PM   #52
zarkon
Captain

I'm not going to pay any amount of money to read something which based on recent experience I probably won't enjoy. Just the way I am I guess.

le shrug
Old May 24 2012, 02:50 PM   #53
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I wasn't a fan of RBOE but I'm intrigued enough to want to know where DRG III is going with with Sisko. Besides, he has a track record of so many great books that I wouldn't stop reading just for one I book I didn't like.

However, I am boycotting Michael Martin because I haven't liked anything of his I've read lately and have given up.
Old May 24 2012, 04:03 PM   #54
Mage
Commodore

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post

I wasn't a fan of RBOE but I'm intrigued enough to want to know where DRG III is going with with Sisko. Besides, he has a track record of so many great books that I wouldn't stop reading just for one I book I didn't like.

However, I am boycotting Michael Martin because I haven't liked anything of his I've read lately and have given up.

See, this is a well thought out response! DRG has written some of the best Trek novels out there, but he has one slip-up (for some, I love RBoE) and people see him as trash. That's like everybody collectivly hating a very populair pop 'artist' because he is no longer the hot new thing. That just doesn't make sense.
Old May 24 2012, 04:10 PM   #55
Sho
Fleet Captain

Personally, if a writer moves things into a controversial direction and people get upset, I tend to be inclined to give the author the benefit of the doubt and become intrigued with the work. Life isn't always fair, and people make mistakes, and stories and characters should reflect that. I don't mind being challenged by a work now and then. And the debate about Sisko's behavior has been among the more interesting in recent memory on the board, so it has that going for it.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 04:42 PM   #56
zarkon
Captain

See, this is a well thought out response!
ahahaha
unlike mine right?

DRG has written some of the best Trek novels out there, but he has one slip-up (for some, I love RBoE) and people see him as trash. That's like everybody collectivly hating a very populair pop 'artist' because he is no longer the hot new thing. That just doesn't make sense.
Of his books I loved 32nd rule & serpents among the ruins. Which came out thirteen and nine years ago respectively.

But since you didn't ask what the last book of his I liked and just assumed, here we are.
Old May 24 2012, 04:44 PM   #57
Mage
Commodore

Talking of Sisko's behaviour, I just re-read Fearfull Symetry and The Soulkey, and both novels already start Sisko on his new path. He is appereantly given a vision by the Prophets of things to come, atleast that how it is comes across to me. And judging from what we know, it was probably a vision of the Trouble with the Ascendents.

What he did to Vaughn, I feel, was horrible but nessecary. If Vaughn hadn't taken out his counterpart, both and Opaka would have tried to save his counterpart, meaning Opaka would probably be killed during the Klingon's raid. Opaka is appereantly needed so the Bajoran's in the Mirror Universe can finally achieve the spiritual mindset that is needed. I kept getting the feeling that the entire situation with the Ascendents was going to involve the Mirror Universe as well, or perhaps the entire Multiverse, since the Prophets found it nessecary to have The Sisko be the Emissary in every Universe, not just ours.
Sisko, at that time, felt the actions towards Vaughn were justified, since it was all for Them. So, if anyone wants to blame anyone for Sisko's path, please realize that it was all part of a bigger plan for the DS9 story arc already laid out, one that ultimatly never came to fruition.
Old May 24 2012, 04:45 PM   #58
Mage
Commodore

*deleted this post, since it was me lowering myself to a level I don't want to go to*
Old May 24 2012, 05:04 PM   #59
zarkon
Captain

Wow, I can't imagine much that's ruder than what's in your edit! Not to worry though, I've got a pretty thick skin.

Awesome, will be interested to know what you think of it!
Old May 24 2012, 05:11 PM   #60
Mage
Commodore

Wow, I can't imagine much that's ruder than what's in your edit! Not to worry though, I've got a pretty thick skin.

Awesome, will be interested to know what you think of it!

Zarkon, if you feel that I implied your level was low, I apologize. That was not my intention. I purposefully try to NOT get involved in big discussions online, since they have a tendency to get out of hand. I myself have, on occasion, said things I'm not proud of. That was the level I was referering to. I can see how it might have come across to you as an insult towards you. So for that, again, my apologies.
What I said, was indeed a low blow towards you, one that you did not deserve. I've had a crappy day, and made a post that vented my anger in a wrong way. Since you did not deserve such a comment, I decided to edit my post. I see that the edit itself isn't a very smart move either though.