Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 22 2012, 06:55 AM   #211
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Avengers Vs. X-Men -- Speculation, Spoilers, and Discussion

Aldo wrote: View Post
When I picked it up today, the clerk asked me how I was enjoying it so far. Since I'm not used to making small talk with people I don't know, I muttered something about how Spidey was only being used as comic relief.
Aldo, you might appreciate the solicitation for issue 9...

Old May 22 2012, 07:49 AM   #212
Aldo
Admiral

I did'nt really believe what I said to the clerk, I was just trying to come up with some kind of small talk, lol.

Suffice to say, I have gotten the fourth issue and read it, and what everyone is saying seems to be correct. It was pretty underwhelming, but it seems things are going to pick up next issue, so I'm going to stay with it. Hell what am I saying, they could have an issue of Cap cutting his toe-nails and I'd still pick it up, because I'm determined to see this one through.
Old May 22 2012, 06:43 PM   #213
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Hell what am I saying, they could have an issue of Cap cutting his toe-nails and I'd still pick it up, because I'm determined to see this one through.
My cubicle neighbor wanted to know why I was still reading AVX (he bailed with issue #1), and I said that it was like watching a train wreck -- you know it's going to be bad and you shouldn't watch but you just can't look away.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 07:24 PM   #214
Aldo
Admiral

I wouldn't call it a trainwreck. I do feel though, that they're really altering the character's a lot to fit the needs of the plot, and not the other way around, which is a real shame.
Old May 22 2012, 08:53 PM   #215
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Hell what am I saying, they could have an issue of Cap cutting his toe-nails and I'd still pick it up, because I'm determined to see this one through.
My cubicle neighbor wanted to know why I was still reading AVX (he bailed with issue #1), and I said that it was like watching a train wreck -- you know it's going to be bad and you shouldn't watch but you just can't look away.
For me, it's the culmination of so many plot threads going all the way back to Avengers: Disassembled and House of M. No matter how the story is being told, I want to know how it ends.

Allyn, it's a shame that that this is the Marvel project that you decided to take the plunge on. There is so much good stuff being published by Marvel right now (most of it priced $2.99--Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Journey into Mystery, Winter Soldier, Avengers Academy) that it's sad that this event is the only impression of Marvel product that you're getting.

And I will say again-- AvX is light years better than Fear Itself was.
Old May 23 2012, 05:35 AM   #216
JD
Admiral

With stuff like this or Civil War, Secret Invasion, ect. do you have to read the main series or could you just read the series specific tie-in issues and still understand everything?
Old May 24 2012, 07:05 AM   #217
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

The only new AvX related book this week was Secret Avengers 28, continuing the first half of the space team's mission and the return of Mar-Vell. It almost seems redundant to read this book right now. Thanks to the story currently running in Avengers, we already know essentially how this story will end. And if people were hoping for a permanent return for Mar-Vell, the ad for the Carol Danvers-centric Captain Marvel book starting in July should dash those hopes quite nicely.

That said, it is nice to see Mar-Vell back for one last go-round before Carol takes up the mantle. And by all indicators so far, this is the real Mar-Vell, resurrected by the Phoenix. I'm not clear on what the Kree's plan for the Phoenix involves. Either the Kree Supreme Intelligence think that the Phoenix will revive the Kree's stagnant DNA (Not to dis-similar to what Cyclops is hoping for), or he is pulling a Branch Davidian on his followers.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; May 24 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 07:46 AM   #218
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Spidey has generally been used in Bendis' Avengers work as comedic relief and he isn't a major part of Avengers Vs X-Men. In fact Marvel was holding meetings a couple of months back as reported by Newsarama or CBR about what to do with Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four in the aftermath of AVX.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 08:21 AM   #219
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
With stuff like this or Civil War, Secret Invasion, ect. do you have to read the main series or could you just read the series specific tie-in issues and still understand everything?
It honestly depends from book-to-book and event-to-event.
In Fear Itself, Avengers Academy and Journey into Mystery had good (some might say better than the actual event) stand-alone stories that take place in the midst of the larger event. Other books, such as Avengers and New Avengers tended to require knowlege of the main story. That actually applies to any Bendis-written any event tie-in issue of Avengers.

So far in AvX, the best stand-alone tie-in series (IMHO, of course) have been Avengers Academy and X-Men: Legacy (And I realized as I typed that that they are both written by Christos Gage).

Are there any specific tie-in issues that you have your eye on?
Old May 24 2012, 09:26 PM   #220
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Civil War, not really. The main story was all that was necessary.

Secret Invasion. Absolutely. Many of the details such as the motivations of the Skrulls, how they had infiltrated the Earth and the important battles were happening in other battles.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 05:07 AM   #221
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Previews for next weeks AvX crossovers...
Old May 25 2012, 05:46 AM   #222
JD
Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
It honestly depends from book-to-book and event-to-event.
In Fear Itself, Avengers Academy and Journey into Mystery had good (some might say better than the actual event) stand-alone stories that take place in the midst of the larger event. Other books, such as Avengers and New Avengers tended to require knowlege of the main story. That actually applies to any Bendis-written any event tie-in issue of Avengers.

So far in AvX, the best stand-alone tie-in series (IMHO, of course) have been Avengers Academy and X-Men: Legacy (And I realized as I typed that that they are both written by Christos Gage).

Are there any specific tie-in issues that you have your eye on?
Well, I plan on reading the X-books, Avengers series, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four starting before Civil War, and at least going into Secret Invasion. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with just reading those without the main event series. I'll probably read the events too, but I wasn't sure if I would be lost if I decided to just read the tie-ins from those series.
Old May 25 2012, 07:13 AM   #223
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

The Spider-Man one is critical to me since Peter at the time was Tony's protege and very much involved in the lead up to the Superhero Registration Act.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 01:46 PM   #224
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Well, I plan on reading the X-books, Avengers series, Spider-Man and Fantastic Four starting before Civil War, and at least going into Secret Invasion. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with just reading those without the main event series. I'll probably read the events too, but I wasn't sure if I would be lost if I decided to just read the tie-ins from those series.
Don't bother with the Avengers tie-ins. They don't lead anywhere and are contradicted later by Bendis. The X-Men tie-in was in a mini. The main books didn't really tie-in. The only relevant FF tie-in was the first issue by Dwayne McDuffie.

For Spider-Man only the ASM stuff mattered.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 05:58 PM   #225
JD
Admiral

Ah cool, thanks. I'll try to remember that when I start reading the Marvel stuff.