Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 22 2012, 04:52 AM   #616
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

68. The Expendables (D)

The Expendables: I expected many things from this film, but I never thought it would be so insurmountably serious and talky. Then again, at least Mickey Rourke takes a cheap monologue and makes something of it; Stallone takes action sequences and edits them to the point of incoherence. Never have more mediocre speakers of the English language been assembled in one movie (well, until the sequel) -- which wouldn't matter, if the film was half as fun as the premise should have been. But, instead of treating the premise with a bit of self-consciousness, Stallone treats it with deadly seriousness (who thought a domestic abuse subplot had a place in a movie like this?). What a waste.

Theatres: 28
Home Video: 35
Computer: 5+1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 04:40 PM   #617
CaptainCanada
Admiral

52. The Last of the Mohicans (A-)

Michael Mann's rousing (though apparently very unfaithful) adaptation of the iconic work of James Fenimore Cooper (which is so derived from an earlier film version that Mann loved that the earlier screenplay gets co-credited alongside the novel) is gorgeously photographed and flows very fluidly (a little too much so, in a couple of instances, maybe). Daniel Day-Lewis has never looked more like a matinee idol on the big screen, while Madeleine Stowe is gorgeous (albeit variably accented). We've also got two of Hollywood's three standby Old Indian Guys in the same movie (Russell Means and Wes Studi; we're only missing Graham Greene), with Studi really standing out as the villain. It's also notable that the movie lets Means, rather than Day-Lewis, have the final one-on-one battle with the bad guy, though Day-Lewis' character manages some impressively absurd dual-wielding of two muskets. The movie lays on the Prologue to the American Revolution a little thick, though.

Cinema: 12
Home Video: 34 (+1)
Computer: 6

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 05:43 PM   #618
Harvey
Admiral

69. Dumbo (B+)

Dumbo: Where would a classic Disney animated feature be without racist stereotyping? Other than that, Dumbo is a delight that's only flaw is being a little rushed in the end (the movie runs 65 minutes with credits, which barely qualified it as being feature length in 1941). Dumbo is a great character, who never has to talk to express himself, and the film is one marvelous animated set piece after another.

Theatres: 28
Home Video: 36 +1
Computer: 5

Old May 22 2012, 09:01 PM   #619
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

It's been a long time since I've seen Dumbo but I have seen clips and heard the racial stareotype criticisms in the past and my question is why isn't this movie Banned, while a movie like Song of the South will probably never see the light of day again? Is it because the elephant is cute and they have a family ride at the theme parks. Well, Splash mountain is a family ride too and I don't remember it very well, but wasn't that movie about a black man telling stories and trying to be an optimist?

Still, I would love for Disney to say screw it and re-release Song of the South. It's been too long and I want to see what one of the Park's best rides is based on.
Old May 22 2012, 09:16 PM   #620
CaptainCanada
Admiral

The crows are jive-y stereotypes, but a fairly minor part of the film and they're portrayed positively, so the film has never encountered anything akin to the same amount of controversy as a film in live action which uses the fantasy version of Reconstruction as its framing narrative.

Said narrative isn't any more problematic than Gone With The Wind, of course, but all the same since the former is a kids' film and Disney values its image so highly, they'd rather just not release it.

- Homer Simpson
Old May 22 2012, 09:38 PM   #621
nvek86
Commander

64. Legion (2010)

Sometimes there are bad films that are still fun to watch and sometimes films - like this one - are just bad and boring. I wonder what makes the difference.
Old May 23 2012, 05:17 PM   #622
Harvey
Admiral

70. Bullet in the Head (B-)

Bullet in the Head: John Woo's (sort of) Vietnam film is rarely screened, and isn't available on home video in this longer version, and that's a shame. It's not brilliant (the early reels are a muddled mess of clashing styles and tones; as the film progresses the actors, camerawork, and editing seems to be shouting further and further to the rafters), but it is rather interesting. Essentially, it's a John Woo gangster film that goes through Apocalypse Now and ends up in The Deer Hunter, and it's as odd and fascinating as that sounds. In one scene, the three main characters stumble across a recreation of the famous photograph, "Rough Justice on a Saigon Street." In another, they face off against hoards of gangsters, and defeat them armed with, among other things, explosive cigars. John Woo wants to do so much with this film, and he can't quite accomplish any of it, but it's fun to watch him try.

Theatres: 29 +1
Home Video: 36
Computer: 5

Old May 24 2012, 05:34 AM   #623
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Last Days Here - free admission
The Three Stooges - free admission
The NeverEnding Story II: The Next Chapter - DVD
The Avengers 3D - free admission
Damsels in Distress - free admission
Sound of My Voice - free admission
Yellow Submarine - free admission
The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel - free screenin'
The Skulls - DVD
Dark Shadows - free admission
The Skulls II - DVD
Sleepless Night - free admission
Conan the Barbarian (1981) - DVD
Battleship - free admission
The Skulls III - DVD
The Dictator - free admission
What to Expect When You're Expecting - free admission
Men in Black 3 3D - free screenin'

Got together with my friend Barbara to see MiB3 3D this evenin'...didn't know it would be 3D 'til we were on our way into the theater.

No trailers, and if there were freebies, they were gone by the time we got out of the theater, since she's a credits nerd.

The story this time out is explained in the trailer - an enemy of Agent K's has escape from prison and traveled back in time to kill him so that his race can wipe out Earth instead of becoming extinct. J travels back in time, as well, to save K's life.

I think J may be one of my favorite Will Smith characters, and its always fun to see Tommy Lee Jones bein' grumpy. Josh Brolin did a good job as the younger K, and though Rip Torn's Zed is missed, his absence is explained.

Maybe not as good as the first one, but way better than the second. The 3D isn't worth the extra charge, though, except for maybe the time travel sequences...but those are only a few seconds of CGI in a two hour movie.

Tomorrow night, free screenin' of Chernobyl Diaries with my friend Donna!
Old May 24 2012, 08:44 AM   #624
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Men in Black 3 3D - free screenin'

Maybe not as good as the first one, but way better than the second. The 3D isn't worth the extra charge, though, except for maybe the time travel sequences...but those are only a few seconds of CGI in a two hour movie.
I'm glad to hear it's better than number II. I look forward to seeing it!

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 02:09 PM   #625
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

20. The Adjustment Bureau: A
21. Sucker Punch: B-
22. Knight & Day: C+
23. Mechanic: B
24. Devil: A

I really enjoyed this film by M.Night and unsure why he got the hate parade it did. Must've still just been "cool" to hate on MNS but the film feels similar at times to Paranormal Activity. If not in theme for sure in tone.
I also can't help but note that the theme of a Mother and Son killed in a car wreck is used here just like with Mel Gibsons character in Signs. Did MNS lose someone dear to him in a car accident?
Anyway, good film, I really enjoyed it.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2012, 11:54 PM   #626
Agent Richard07
Admiral

^ As did I when I saw it.

Looking forward to MIB3. Probably won't see it 'til Monday tho.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25 2012, 02:53 AM   #627
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

Updates in Bold:
2 Fast 2 Furious (8)
47 Ronin (7)
The Avengers (10)
Bad Boys (8)
Battle of Los Angles (9)
Battleship (9)
Blade of the Phantom Master (8)
Daybreakers (5)
Die Hard (9)
Die Hard II (8)
Die Hard: With a Vengeance (8)

Fargo (6)
The Fast and the Furious (8)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (7)
Fast and Furious (2009) (8)
Fast Five (10)
First Blood (8)
First Squad: The Moment of Truth (8)
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos (8)
Gantz: Perfect Answer (7)
Golgo 13: The Professional (6)
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (6)
Green Hornet (6)
Haywire (7)
Heaven's Lost Property: The Angeloid of Clockwork (5)
Hellboy: Blood and Iron (8)
Hellboy: Sword of Storms (6)
Hunger Games (4)
John Carter (9)
King of Thorn (9)
Legend of the Millennium Dragon (7)
Lockout (8)
Lupin the 3rd: Blood Seal of the Eternal Mermaid (9)
Lupin the 3rd: Return of Pycal (7)
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression (Director's Cut) (9)
The Men Who Stare at Goats (7)
Mercury Rising (7)
Mystic River (6)
Negima!: Final (7)
Nydenion (7)
Rambo: First Blood Part II (8)
Rambo III (8)
The Raven (9)
Redline (10)
Robotech II: The Sentinels (6)
Safe House (2012) (8)
Salt (7)
Time Traveler: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (8)
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (5)
Toward the Tera (1980) (6)
Underworld: Awakening (8)
Wrath of the Titans (7)

Total Thus Far: 52
Old May 25 2012, 04:33 AM   #628
CaptainCanada
Admiral

53. Alien (A)

I'm not really one for horror or monster movies, so I haven't seen this until now, but with Prometheus looking to be a big event this summer I thought it was probably time to check out Scott's other sci-fi opus from his early period. I thought this was far superior to Blade Runner, which I didn't think had much to offer apart from what has now become a pretty rote style. Alien's look, on the other hand, while it's been copied plenty since, still holds up much better, and on a level of atmosphere it's superb. Scott knows how to keep the audience constantly on the edge of your seat in the second half. The first half, a rather Kubrick-esque (with more grime) depiction of duty on a space freighter, has a few "when are they going to get to the fireworks factory?" moments, but it functions well as leadup. Sigourney Weaver is marvelous in what would become her defining role, though Ripley is still a mere mortal in this, not RIPLEY of sci-fi legend (from the clips I've seen of later films, it's rather like comparing Season 1 Jack Bauer to Season 8 Jack Bauer).

Cinema: 12
Home Video: 35 (+1)
Computer: 6

- Homer Simpson
Old May 25 2012, 06:43 AM   #629
Kegg
Rear Admiral

The Monk
Vincent Cassel is many things, but he's not young or exceptionally handsome, so he's a bit of a stone's throw from the Monk's Ambrosio. A rather dour if largely faithful adaption of the Matthew Lewis novel, it lacks the vicious schadenfraude that the novel so gleefully indulges in with its title character. Passable, anyway.

The Raid
The background of the plot is kept fairly vague, the answers to the fillm's raised questions about as useful as just restating the questions. The action can occasionally feel too obviously choreographed. But it's a great concept - a raid gone wrong in a massive tenement building by and for criminals, playing up the claustrophobia and isolation of the police officers - and there's plenty of memorable setpieces. I'd be surprised if any movie I see in cinemas this year has better action, that's for sure.
Old May 25 2012, 05:40 PM   #630
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

Believe it or not, NONE
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote