RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 561
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What if Batman dies?
Fine, I'm okay with it. 33 57.89%
No, I don't think I'd like this. 7 12.28%
Unsure, might depend how it's done. 17 29.82%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23 2012, 01:55 PM   #31
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: TDKR...what if Batman dies???

The Lensman wrote: View Post
I have no problem with it. I saw a comment recently along the lines of "Marvel has a built a cinematic comic book, whereas Nolan is doing a graphic novel."

Basically, Nolan is telling a complete story and it could change the way comic book properties are done in the future. A director could come in and really do what they want because a reboot would just be a film or two away. And by "reboot" I don't mean they need to redo the origin in every first film. But we could get ballsier stories and the sense of "anything can happen" if we're not trying to create a never ending franchise set in the same universe.
That's exactly how I look it and I'm rather surprised how strongly opposed people against said notion. In the end, it doesn't really matter because in 5-10 years, WB will bring Batman back with a whole new take.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:37 PM   #32
Starkers
Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
Perhaps he'll trip over a brick and regenerate into Adam West.
"And still...not...ginger, old chum."

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:54 PM   #33
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Emh wrote: View Post
. In the end, it doesn't really matter because in 5-10 years, WB will bring Batman back with a whole new take.
If DKR is a smash I doubt WB would put Batman on hiatus that long. I give it three years. I hope the next director drops the rubber armor and finally puts Batman in the tights.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 03:34 PM   #34
Lonemagpie
Writer

He'll just regenerate. Or get dumped into a Lazarus Pit...

And since the next movie would no doubt be another origin reboot (much as The Amazing Spiderman is), with a different vision and a different cast no matter what happens, then who gives a monkeys?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 03:38 PM   #35
Relayer1
Commodore

Since I found out they're rebooting it AGAIN, I really couldn't care less.

Enough reboots already !
Old May 23 2012, 04:20 PM   #36
RoJoHen
Awesome

I want a fitting end to the character arc displayed throughout the last two films. If that means Batman dies, then I'm fine with it as long as it makes sense.
Old May 23 2012, 05:00 PM   #37
Mike Farley
Commodore

I think the origin of Batman is ingrained well enough in the public's psyche that the next series of movies can skip it and start with Batman already in play.

THE INCREDIBLE HULK did fine without being an origin movie (while briefly touching on the origin). Hell, Burton's BATMAN devoted what? About a minute of screen time to the origin tale?

Just jump in.
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 05:08 PM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome

^No joke. If you don't know Batman's origin story by now, you've been living under a rock.
Old May 23 2012, 05:33 PM   #39
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

He was the one who shot his parents right?

I'd like to see more stories that deal with different periods in heroes' lives. I think it'd be interesting to do a trilogy where movie #1 was an origin, #2 was the established hero, and #3 was the death (or just the hero hanging up his cape).

I remember there were a few Robin Hood movies (I think they were made for tv ones) which had a similar structure.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 05:34 PM   #40
Hawkeye92
Lieutenant Junior Grade

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
^No joke. If you don't know Batman's origin story by now, you've been living under a rock.
The origin is mainly for kids and those completely unaware of Batman except just what's in merchandise or games or rides or something. The best thing to do at this point is jump in like everyone said and assume Batman exists in Gotham. If you have a young kid, you can explain the origin to them, if you are an adult and you don't know, google it. When BB came out, I rolled my eyes at another origin because I was a fan and accepted the origin from Burton's Batman, but now I enjoy Nolan's expansion of the origin, but now, Batman is beyond just the fans and readers of comics that unless it's going to be 10-15 years before another movie, there really is no need for it.
Hawkeye92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 05:52 PM   #41
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

^Or just have a few second re-cap at the start of the film.

"A young Bruce Wayne witnessed a common criminal murder his parents. Vowing to protect Gotham City from injustice he became The Batman".

Or a Seinfeld-esque:

"Bruce Wayne went to the opera with his parents, yada-yada-yada he dresses up like a bat and fights the criminally insane."

Old May 23 2012, 06:14 PM   #42
flavaflav
Commander

It could work if it's done right I suppose. The dude definitely deserves to be killed. the peep has no qualms about killing his mentor and then his best friend, so f em! Let him sleep with the fishies.
flavaflav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 06:24 PM   #43
Mike Farley
Commodore

I think kids have even less of a need for an origin than adults. None of the various Batman cartoons have started "at the beginning." They all start with an established Batman doing his thing. It's not until the teen and adult years where the obsessive need to have everything explained kicks in.
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 06:56 PM   #44
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post

"A young Bruce Wayne witnessed a common criminal murder his parents. Vowing to protect Gotham City from injustice he became The Batman".

Or a Seinfeld-esque:

"Bruce Wayne went to the opera with his parents, yada-yada-yada he dresses up like a bat and fights the criminally insane."
I still think all future origins should be handled the same way Spider-man 2 recapped the events of the first film. Have a brief montage of the key moments of the origin as the opening credits roll- Parents shot, Bats, putting on the bat costume - then dive straight into the actual plot of the film.
Old May 23 2012, 07:27 PM   #45
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post

Or a Seinfeld-esque:

I still think all future origins should be handled the same way Spider-man 2 recapped the events of the first film. Have a brief montage of the key moments of the origin as the opening credits roll- Parents shot, Bats, putting on the bat costume - then dive straight into the actual plot of the film.
I'm becoming more fond of my yada-yada-yada idea

But yeah Spider-Man 2 did it well, I also like the route Watchmen and Wolverine went with the mini-movies in the credits.