New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: What if Batman dies?
Fine, I'm okay with it. 33 57.89%
No, I don't think I'd like this. 7 12.28%
Unsure, might depend how it's done. 17 29.82%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 23 2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Warped9
Admiral

TDKR...what if Batman dies???

There's a great deal of speculation regarding the ultimate fate of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the forthcoming The Dark Knight Rises. The promos themselves play on the idea "the legend ends" and Nolan is finishing off his trilogy with a sense of finality.

This could mean that Bruce Wayne finally accepts his role as Batman without any remaining reservation, that he finally becomes the Batman of the comics.

Yet there is also a lot of speculation that Bruce Wayne/Batman is finally killed and someone else might take the role of Batman.

Personally I'm really looking forward to this film after Nolan has done a damned good job with the previous two films. Personally, I'm really hoping that the sense of finality is that Batman has returned to stay by the end of the film as the person he was always meant to be.

Candidly, if they do kill Bruce/Batman off, even with someone else to take his place, I will be royally pissed about it. Some might see it as balsy, but I think it would be a like dissing the fans. For myself I want my favourite superhero ultimately triumphant over terrific odds and to live on to fight the good fight.

Thoughts anyone?
Old May 23 2012, 01:53 AM   #2
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: TDKR...what if Batman dies???

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Candidly, if they do kill Bruce/Batman off, even with someone else to take his place, I will be royally pissed about it. Some might see it as balsy, but I think it would be a like dissing the fans. For myself I want my favourite superhero ultimately triumphant over terrific odds and to live on to fight the good fight.
Being a symbol of hope and justice that inspires others to do good is also living on and triumphing over the odds, albeit in a less literal sense.

The decision to have Bruce live or die in and of itself doesn't bother me either way, but it all depends on the execution of it. I trust in Nolan's ability to give Bruce a poignant death after an epic struggle, or to have him live to fight another day.

Live or die, I would prefer to have the film end on a hopeful note for the people of Gotham or for Bruce, either by Batman's sacrifice or the continuation of his life's work in a more mundane way after giving up the Batman persona or turning it over to someone else. Something like Bruce retiring and following in his father's footsteps with a charitable rebuilding/revitalization of Gotham.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dying could make him into a martyr and drive the people of Gotham to stand up to their incredible high level of criminals once and for all.
Old May 23 2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

What if he dies? That's fine, it's the end of the trilogy anyway. Bring on the next incarnation!
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Kirkman1987
Commodore

He should go down fighting Malcolm Mcdowell on a bridge.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:22 AM   #6
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

For me, the biggest hurdle I have accepting TDKR is the idea that it is a trilogy. To me, Batman simply is. It's not a story like Lord of the Rings, where an endpoint (destroy the ring) is defined relatively early in the first part of the trilogy. He might have a "beginning" but to tell his story as if it had a predetermined endpoint is just strange to me. I can perhaps, imagine and endpoint after a culmination of many stories in which he is thwarting criminals - so if it was a serious-toned Batman television serial with a series finale that looked somewhat like how TDKR is looking, I'd be happy, but , to me "Batman" and "Trilogy" don't seem to go together as concepts.
Old May 23 2012, 02:22 AM   #7
Warped9
Admiral

Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
Bad enough if he dies, but if he also dies under a bridge then that'll suck double.
Old May 23 2012, 02:24 AM   #8
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Kirkman1987 wrote: View Post
Bad enough if he dies, but if he also dies under a bridge then that'll suck double.
"It was...fun.......oh my....."
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:26 AM   #9
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

If he's smart, he'll leave the Nexus at an earlier point and just arrest Bane in Ten Forward.
Old May 23 2012, 02:27 AM   #10
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
For me, the biggest hurdle I have accepting TDKR is the idea that it is a trilogy. To me, Batman simply is. It's not a story like Lord of the Rings where an endpoint (destroy the ring) is defined relatively early in the first part of the trilogy). He might have a "beginning" but to tell his story as if it had a predetermined endpoint is just strange to me. I can perhaps, imagine and endpoint after a culmination of many stories in which is thwarting criminals - so if it was a serious-toned Batman television serial with a series finale that looked the TDKR is looking, I'd be happy, but , to me "Batman" and "Trilogy" don't seem to go together as concepts.
I sort of agree. I sort of always felt the "arc" of this movie franchise would be to establish a "status quo" for Batman and it would end with him being Batman and doing everything we know he'll end up doing to fight for Gotham; and be mostly accepted by the citizenry and officials of the city and being a much needed part of it all.

Doesn't seem like it needs to be "closed story" just the first three chapters for a story we'll never see the remaining chapters of.

If he's smart, he'll leave the Nexus at an earlier point and just arrest Bane in Ten Forward.
Why not go back to when he was a child and save his parents? That could be better for Gotham as a whole and have an untold chain of positive events!
Old May 23 2012, 02:29 AM   #11
Warped9
Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Doesn't seem like it needs to be "closed story" just the first three chapters for a story we'll never see the remaining chapters of.
Basically how I feel.
Old May 23 2012, 02:33 AM   #12
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Trekker, thanks for putting that into words. It was really what I was trying to say but couldn't figure out how to say it.
Old May 23 2012, 02:40 AM   #13
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

No matter how it might unfold creatively the WOM would be bad I think.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:42 AM   #14
IndyJones
Vice Admiral

I'd rather not see Batman die, but what the Hell do I know? Nolan's done a great job with this series, so I suppose I'll just trust him for now.
Travel's fatal to prejudice, bigotry, narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things can't be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's life.
IndyJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:43 AM   #15
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

If he doesn't die, it would've been... "nice" to see this movie series actually set-up a Dick Grayson Robin, have Bane get break Batman's back and Robin take on the Batman cowl.

Or we could've had a building drop on Jason Todd in movie form. That would've been nice too.