Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 22 2012, 11:00 AM   #4186
ncc71877
Fleet Captain

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I thnik it will be Alan Scott on Earth 2.

I was reading Aquaman #8, and realized we haven't seen the 'new' Aqualad, or any Aqualad for that matter, in the New 52. All that effort to introduce him in Brightest Day and then he's sweep away. Of course we'll still a little foggy on whats "happened" in the five years and what hasn't. I mean Blackest Night happened but not the same way, if I read Green Lantern right. I liked the new Aqualad, sorry to see him gone, if he is gone.

ncc71877
ncc71877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 11:47 PM   #4187
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
It's Wally probably.
Which would be interesting, considering he's one of the few superheroes to have had a wife and freaking kids!
Old May 23 2012, 12:05 AM   #4188
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I think DC is making a big mistake by retconning an established hero into being gay.
Either for political alignment or perceived headlines it's a bad move.

You have gay characters via Wildstorm. Pump them up, give them more visibility. Create someone new. I think there is more chance for backlash at doing this "just because" than anything else.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 12:06 AM   #4189
JD
Admiral

I was kind of surprised by this too, since they already have Batwoman, and they seemed to be trying to emphasize her quite a bit in the New 52.
Old May 23 2012, 12:10 AM   #4190
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

DC has gay characters. Good ones even. Just promote those. And at least two that are in active books with some visibility to them. The prior mentioned Batwoman being one. She's already liked is that a problem?
Is Midnighter too violent?
Old May 23 2012, 12:32 AM   #4191
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Caretaker wrote:
I got a letter from DC Comics today. Legion of Super Heroes issue 11 is the last one available via subscription from DC; further issues (issue 12 and onward) will only be available by going to my local comic shop. For the last two issues of my subscription, I can get a refund or they will automatically switch my subscription over to Superman.

Anyone else get this letter? I can only imagine what prompted this.
I got this too (for my sub of Swamp Thing), I guess it's not cost effective to offer subs to more obscure titles. Kind of a shame because I thought there would be a market for it. I'll use it as an excuse to get back into GL.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 12:53 AM   #4192
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

And Swamp Thing has been a better seller so then Legion fans may not need to worry about imminent cancellation.
Old May 23 2012, 01:50 AM   #4193
Hugo Rune
Fleet Captain

Met Scott Snyder at the Kapow comic convention the other day. What an awesome fellow.

Stood there for nearly 3 hours signing - well past the 2 hours he was scheduled for on the Saturday, with nearly the entire attendance wanting to get something signed. In fact so voracious were the audience that prices on pretty much anything with Snyder's name on it at the comic stands snuck up during the course of the Saturday - and were quickly snapped up!

Whilst signing my Batmans, Detective Comics, Severed's and anything else his pen could make a mark, on he stated he had two more large Court/Night of Owls size stories to tell on Batman and following the completion of the Swamp Thing/Animal story (around issues 15 I think) he said he had a similar level of scope for SW.

Add in the fact he said he had a new horror series starting with Vertigo planned for post Fall/Autumn, it looks like he is locked in at DC for some time!!

Hugo - clearly a Snyder fan
Old May 23 2012, 02:08 AM   #4194
the G-man
Commodore

ncc71877 wrote: View Post
I thnik it will be Alan Scott on Earth 2.

Well, his original Golden Age costume was, shall we say, rather...flamboyant.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 02:24 AM   #4195
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

They could go with the old standby, Dr. Mid-Nite. But Midnighter and Dr. Mid-Nite both being Gay might confuse people.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 03:57 AM   #4196
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Maybe it's Krypto?

DC has had some homosexual characters before the launch that were characters first and homosexual second. I really hope that DC doesn't use this as a publicity stunt without ensuring some quality characterization to back it up. Their announcement about Batwoman was hyped a lot, but at least it had solid writing to back it up, with the 52 bunch, especially Greg Rucka, who made Kate Kane an awesome character first and foremost. I hope they take a lesson from this. We don't need another Rawhide Kid.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 08:55 AM   #4197
The Lensman
Fleet Captain

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
DC has gay characters. Good ones even. Just promote those. And at least two that are in active books with some visibility to them. The prior mentioned Batwoman being one. She's already liked is that a problem?

Agreed. With Marvel's announcement of openly gay Northstar getting married soon, (On The View no less), maybe DC's needs some kind of announcement to say "Hey! We have a gay character too."

Sort of like how they're always doing new #1 issues and restarts. It's got to be "fresh" and "now!", or it's old and stale.
Old May 23 2012, 09:20 AM   #4198
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

shivkala wrote: View Post
We don't need another Rawhide Kid.
word.
Old May 23 2012, 09:26 AM   #4199
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
They could go with the old standby, Dr. Mid-Nite. But Midnighter and Dr. Mid-Nite both being Gay might confuse people.
Both Gay or both straight is less confusing than suitors lining up for the wrong rodeo if they're one of each.

Didn't Dr Midnight date Black Canary in the old 52?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2012, 11:10 AM   #4200
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
The modern Dr. Mid-Nite, Pieter Cross dated Black Canary during the period where Ollie was dead. He stepped aside when Ollie returned.

His predecessor, Dr. Charles McNider was one of the few Golden Age characters never associated with a woman (Jay had Joan; Alan had Molly & Rose Canton, Jade and Obsidian's mother; Carter had Shayera; Al Pratt, the Atom, had Mary James; etc.). There was a fan theory, that DC squashed, that McNider was in the closet for most of his career.

In 1999, gay comics-writer Andy Mangels proposed a story for DC’s anthology title Legends of the DC Universe. In this story, an old lover of Dr. McNider’s, now living in a retirement home, would come forward with the story of their “love that dare not speak its name”, finally revealing once and for all that Doctor Mid-Nite was, in fact, deep in the closet back during the Golden Age. Hey, at least he could see in that closet!

DC editorial nixed the idea, for reasons unknown. While it was one thing to create new gay characters for the comics medium, something DC was pretty good at doing, maybe they weren’t ready to out one of their original characters just yet – even if it was one that no one really cared about like Doctor Mid-Nite.
Source

Andy Mangel's website just lists Dr. Mid-Nite under "proposals" but doesn't elaborate on it.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote