MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old May 20 2012, 06:30 PM   #31
Dukhat
Commodore

Re: Matt Jefferies and NCC-1017

Here's an interesting site I found about the history of the model (although I don't think it's going to answer your questions):

http://culttvman.com/main/?p=3665
Old May 20 2012, 09:55 PM   #32
Intelligence
Rear Admiral

I cannot believe it was Jefferies' decision to label the Constellation 1017; in an interview Jefferies gave to the BBC, he revealed his logic for chosing NCC and 1701 in the first place.

However, most likely situation is nobody else did care that days about the label. We cannot be sure if Jefferies had a word on the label for the Constellation model. Either he didn't care, was overruled, or someone else did came up with a non-17xx number.
Intelligence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 10:29 PM   #33
publiusr
Commodore

After reading Making of Star Trek, I imagined that a sphere hulled ship came before Enterprise--and a lot of folk thought it was the first ship to even have a saucer. Masao broke us from that--and those art posters showing a lot of other Jefferies designs that led to Enterprise are a hoot--but the idea that there were a lot of Constitution like ships even before Constitution--that's really nice.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 01:35 AM   #34
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Well, here's the funny thing: they went to the trouble to make a decal for U.S.S. CONSTELLATION, so if they did that, why not make new NCC decals, too?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 02:23 AM   #35
Dukhat
Commodore

Maurice wrote: View Post
Well, here's the funny thing: they went to the trouble to make a decal for U.S.S. CONSTELLATION, so if they did that, why not make new NCC decals, too?
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say that nobody cared that much about it at the time, not even Jeffries.
Old May 21 2012, 04:20 AM   #36
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

publiusr wrote: View Post
After reading Making of Star Trek, I imagined that a sphere hulled ship came before Enterprise--and a lot of folk thought it was the first ship to even have a saucer. Masao broke us from that--and those art posters showing a lot of other Jefferies designs that led to Enterprise are a hoot--but the idea that there were a lot of Constitution like ships even before Constitution--that's really nice.
In TAS, the first warp drive ship, the Bonaventure, had a saucer.
Old May 22 2012, 12:05 AM   #37
publiusr
Commodore

Ah--that's right, I had forgotten that.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 08:44 AM   #38
Timo
Admiral

So... What decal names came with that original ATM kit? Just the Enterprise?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 01:54 PM   #39
yenny
Captain

Timo wrote: View Post
So... What decal names came with that original ATM kit? Just the Enterprise?

Timo Saloniemi
I believe ATM kit only had the Enterprise decal at first when it went on sale. Sometime later, after the series was no longer being film. They added other Constitution ships decal in the ATM kit as well.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 01:57 PM   #40
Timo
Admiral

So it would have taken some effort to create the E, L and A. Unless the font at that size was in common decal use in other model kits of the time, perhaps? Thanks for the information!

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 02:29 PM   #41
Albertese
Commodore

So it would have taken some effort to create the E, L and A. Unless the font at that size was in common decal use in other model kits of the time, perhaps? Thanks for the information!

Timo Saloniemi
ummm...what?

E N T E R P R I S E

C O N S T E L L A T I O N

Whoever did it would also need a C, and two O's, unless you think the decal sheet had the word "Constitution" on it, which it didn't.

Nope, the ship's name would have been generated from whole cloth. I suggest it was made from dry transfer letters purchased from a blue-printer somewhere in L.A. And just the registry number was rearranged kit decals. After all, why buy a second sheet of letters in a different point size when you have perfectly good characters waiting to be easily cut up and rearranged?

--Alex
Old May 22 2012, 05:02 PM   #42
yenny
Captain

Albertese wrote: View Post

Timo Saloniemi
ummm...what?

E N T E R P R I S E

C O N S T E L L A T I O N

Whoever did it would also need a C, and two O's, unless you think the decal sheet had the word "Constitution" on it, which it didn't.

Nope, the ship's name would have been generated from whole cloth. I suggest it was made from dry transfer letters purchased from a blue-printer somewhere in L.A. And just the registry number was rearranged kit decals. After all, why buy a second sheet of letters in a different point size when you have perfectly good characters waiting to be easily cut up and rearranged?

--Alex
Nope they didn't. What they did, they painted the extra missing letters in. They didn't bother with the nacelles and below the saucer. The nacelles would be damage in the area of where the registry would had been. Plus they only plan to film her from above, port and aft. They never filmed the model from the starboard side and bottom. Also, I don't think they knew the registry of the Constitution during that time.
yenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 05:43 PM   #43
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

The C, two O's, and A (using chopped up 1's) could have been from the underside saucer "NCC-1701" decals since they're about the same size font as "U.S.S. ENTERPRISE" and the two L's could have been made from E's from Enterprise.
Old May 22 2012, 08:39 PM   #44
Dukhat
Commodore

captain crow wrote: View Post
The C, two O's, and A (using chopped up 1's) could have been from the underside saucer "NCC-1701" decals since they're about the same size font as "U.S.S. ENTERPRISE" and the two L's could have been made from E's from Enterprise.
The link I posted before shows the decals that originally came with the kit. They could indeed have used the C and the O from the registry, and the A and L could possibly have been made how you describe. Of course, that would mean that multiple kits would had to have been bought to get all the letters, but that's a possibility too.

Old May 22 2012, 09:33 PM   #45
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

Dukhat wrote: View Post
captain crow wrote: View Post
The link I posted before shows the decals that originally came with the kit. They could indeed have used the C and the O from the registry, and the A and L could possibly have been made how you describe. Of course, that would mean that multiple kits would had to have been bought to get all the letters, but that's a possibility too.

They only would have needed the one decale sheet that came with the kit since the only the markings the ship had were the name and registry on top the saucer.