Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old November 10 2011, 03:24 AM   #136
The Caprican
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Hi! I'm a new poster (first day) and even though this is a Star Trek site, I was unprepared for the amount of deep space love on the site. DS9 is by FAR my favorite series, though I do love them all. It's nice to see so many others out there appreciating the most thought-provoking, deep, and finely detailed of the series. I still watch at least an hour or two every week.

Looking back on the series, Kira Nerys was one of my favorite characters. Her journey from war torn rebel with a lot of anger and bitterness to a more mature, spiritual and wise individual was one of the best transitions that occurred on the series. Though, unlike some series where certain actors got short shift (Did Harry Kim get to actually DO anything during his time on Voyager?) it seems that all of the DS9 characters had their own well thought out character arcs.

But I think it was Sisko's estimation of the Maquis in "The Maquis, Part II" that summed it up best: "The problem is Earth....." "It's easy to be a saint in paradise." That entire speech to Major Kira defined the series for me. These were flawed indivduals with their own baggage. None of them were perfect. They fought. They made mistakes. "In fact, we have some damned good fights. But we always come out of it with a better understanding of each other." I loved that they could be heroes, and that it wasn't always easy for them to be heroes. To me, life was always too antiseptic aboard the Enterprise. So to see people I could truly relate to, as the 13yo kid I was when DS9 premiered, was very alluring.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on several tangents. But thanks for the forum to allow me to geek out.
The Caprican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26 2012, 07:48 PM   #137
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Hello!

I have been a Star Trek fan most of my life. I remember watching TOS reruns with my father when I was a little girl.

DS9 is my favourite series. What do I love about it? The character development, the relationships, the conflict between the characters, the story arcs, the exploration of culture and religion, the bad guys, the strong women, and so much more.

My second favourite series is TOS. I am also a fan of ENT and NuTrek. I hope that is accepted around here.

Hercule Poirot
: I am an imbecile. I see only half of the picture.
Miss Lemon: I don't even see that.
Miss Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 09:44 PM   #138
xylem
Ensign

Hi - just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm new to the site - have been lurking for about a week now. It's exciting to find a place that's so affirmative of DS9.

Like many, I largely overlooked this series back in the day (I watched it regularly right from the beginning, but TNG was where my heart lay... and DS9 has the distinction of being the only trek I gave up on before it finished - at the time, I couldn't bear the war-focus of the later seasons).

But in more recent years of rewatching, I've found myself more and more drawn to DS9, and amazed at how this series seems to have aged much better than the others. It's not just the larger story arcs, but the way in which DS9 had much to say about the current social/political era, the war on terror etc. It's really hard to believe that it was written pre-9-11, when much of the tenor of the cardassian/bajoran conflict and the recovery from post-terrorism could have been written specifically to address these struggles. I guess that speaks to how universal these themes are... with every new world-conflict, these themes feel as though they were written specifically to reflect it.

Anyhow - delighted to have a place to talk about these things (and about Trek more generally)
xylem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 10:27 PM   #139
gazomg
Commander

hi Xylem

My favorite trek show by a country mile..........
Unlike the others it was darker, had more of an edge.

I love how it dealt with issues not really addressed in the other shows like religion.
The cast and re occurring characters added to the show and gave it a huge amount of depth.

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 11:04 PM   #140
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Welcome to TrekBBS Xylem and Caprican

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 11:16 PM   #141
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Aren't you forgetting someone...?

Hercule Poirot
Old May 22 2012, 12:25 AM   #142
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
9er's are always welcome here! How many times have you seen the whole series Miss Lemon? It's about three and a bit (going through it all right now) for me.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 01:15 AM   #143
xylem
Ensign

Thanks for the welcome all! And Hi to the other new folk here!
Old May 22 2012, 01:29 AM   #144
xylem
Ensign

Though the question wasn't directed at me, it's a fun one, so I'll chime in:

Number times watched:

TOS - currently watching for the first time (nearly done season 1)... never had much patience for the whole kirk seduces another blond bimbo aspect of the show.... I'll say this though - it's surprising me - there is more depth (in some eps) than I gave it credit for.

TNG - ??? (watched regularly and repeatedly since I was about 11 years old... 1991)... know many of these in my sleep (particularly season 5, which is my personal favourite)

DS9 - I'd guess about 4x straight through? With more repetitions of some episodes... (I still like the earlier seasons (<=5) best, so I've watched them more).

Voy - probably similar - 3-4x, I think? Enough to have some favourite episodes, despite the fact that this series, as a whole, hasn't stayed with me in the same way

Ent - once (awhile back now). I'm still reluctant to call this one canon. (Perhaps petty of me, but I can't quite forgive them for abandoning the orchestral intro... and the characters mostly seemed like sex-toys). But, I vaguely remember being surprised that the last season or so was more watchable than the rest.

Movies - 1-3x each. In my opinion, ST should never have made movies. They all came out as painfully pale inferior imitations of their respective series.
Old May 22 2012, 01:50 AM   #145
xylem
Ensign

gazomg - yes - I liked the exploration of religion too. That seemed to be in the air during that time period - voyager, too, spent a fair bit of time exploring religiosity, but mostly with a more new-agey bent (i.e. chakotay and his animal guides etc).

The depth given to the bajoran religion was quite interesting to me, though. And i really enjoyed the tension between science and religion that got played out through benjamin's character. He essentially embodied that tension in his reluctant role as emissary. I like it when people challenge the simplistic notion that the pursuit of science must coincide with strong atheism. Fortunately, people are often much more complicated than that! (No offense meant to strong atheists...)

(My only criticism of religion as depicted in DS9 is the direction they took to the god stories near the conclusion of the series - the whole exorcism-like body-snatching complete with glowing eyes still makes me cringe)
Old May 22 2012, 07:08 AM   #146
Miss Lemon
Fleet Captain

Ln X wrote: View Post
Miss Lemon wrote: View Post
9er's are always welcome here! How many times have you seen the whole series Miss Lemon? It's about three and a bit (going through it all right now) for me.
Thanks, Ln_x.

I must have watched most episodes of season 1-3 several times, but I don't think I've re-watched seasons 5-7 yet, with the exception of my favourite episodes. Although I consider the war-arc to be one of Trek's best, I often choose something lighter when I feel like watching Trek. I'm currently re-watching TOS season 3 and ENT season 2.

Just for the record, I was only teasing Sindatur; we've already met in an other subforum.

Hercule Poirot
Old May 22 2012, 11:38 AM   #147
gazomg
Commander

I think the whole religious type ending of DS9 was always gonna be difficult.
I have no time for religion in programmes in general but do think the writers took a brave chance and it worked in general.

As for the number of times i watched it, my routine was always 3 or 4 episodes in a row a few times a week and run through the series, give it a break then for a couple of years and then repeat.

Only finished it about a month ago so now starting on voyager,only ever seen it once in a complete order a good few years back

TNG I have seen every episode a few times but not in its full order.

Enyerprise and TOS I have seen just the once

http://gazomg-trek-art.blogspot.ie/
gazomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2012, 08:48 PM   #148
Ezri D
Lieutenant

OMG, i must be so blind. Checks my glasses, how could I have missed this place and made so many postings. Waves, lets be friends!
Ezri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2012, 09:38 AM   #149
JEkis
Cadet

View JEkis's Twitter Profile

Hello everyone. I'm glad I finally found this forum. I've been wondering if there was a place to discuss the show since I started watching, but never actually took the time to look for it. I am currently in the middle of season 5. It sure would have made the entire experience even more enjoyable to talk things over with other fans as I went along.
I'm at a slight disadvantage, as I was introduced to this show in the middle of the final season so now I know how it all ends before I even started my first time through. I was visiting a friend for a weekend when our original plans fell through. She suggested that we watch some Star Trek instead. Her family was in the process of watching every episode from every series, and they were almost done with DS9. Believe it or not, I had not watched anything related to Trek before, but she was sure that I would enjoy this. I was instantly hooked. We ended up making a Saturday marathon of it. We watched the last 8 or so episodes that day.
Now I'm going through the series from the beginning on Netflix. I've had to take some time off from college because of health, and don't have a lot to do stuck at home. I usually end up doing 2 or three episodes a night. Maybe now that I'm here, I can spend some of that time conversing and take a more gradual approach to the series.
Anyway, it is great to be here and I look forward to meeting you all.
P.S I recently learned about a book entitled the Star Trek : Deep Space Nine Companion. Does anyone know if an EBook version of this title can be purchased anywhere? I am blind, and need either a Braille, audio or electronic version of the book in order to read it. Neither the National Library Service For the Blind nor audible.com have it, so I'm hoping I can buy an eBook.
Thanks
JEkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2012, 09:33 PM   #150
naverhtrad
Lieutenant Commander

Hello all!

DS9 is very much my favourite of the Star Trek series, so I'm definitely glad to have a forum and to hear other fans' thoughts on the series.

I also enjoyed DS9's treatment of religion; it struck me that at some points (particularly in Sisko's and Kira's cases) the series had an almost existentialist (Kierkegaard, not necessarily Nietzsche) bent to it. Also some of the strongest, most three-dimensional characterisation in any form of Trek, IMHO: Kira, O'Brien and Worf in particular.

As to how many times I've seen each series? TOS: all episodes once; most of them twice or three times. TNG: whichever episodes my parents had on VHS five times each at least; some I haven't seen at all. DS9: all episodes at least three times. VOY: haven't seen yet, except for 'Unimatrix Zero'. ENT: all episodes once (that was enough).

Good to meet y'inz!
naverhtrad is offline   Reply With Quote