New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 19 2012, 06:54 PM   #901
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Yeah! Bring back Russel T Davies!

Still, I'm wondering if they'll just leave it at 13 and not really change it. The new writers will just see it through without major changes (we can hope). If there're huge failures in the existing lineup, Community is serviceable enough to keep going, no?

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 11:45 PM   #902
Chris_Johnston
Captain

View Chris_Johnston's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Chris_Johnston Send a message via Yahoo to Chris_Johnston

In my universe, Community was cancelled after Season 3, and given a perfect finale.
Old May 20 2012, 04:01 PM   #903
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
Happy Endings is a good show, and Harmon is noted for being an asshole, so I'm not especially torn up over his departure -- but all the other writers that are leaving, too, have me a bit worried.
I was a worried yesterday but willing to give the new showrunners a chance. The montage at the end of Introduction to Finality clearly steered the course that the show should be heading in in season 4, and it was always possible that the new guys would seek out Harmon's guidance even if they were under no obligation to do so.

But then I learned that they were responsible for the US version of The IT Crowd, so now I want them publicly flogged and hanged. They took comedy gold, barely changed it at all, and somehow turned it into shit. Graham Linehan does not appear to be pleased, and the fact that they didn't contact him to seek his advice about the US adaptation of his show doesn't bode well for them seeking out Harmon's advice either.
Old May 20 2012, 04:42 PM   #904
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

The show already killed Abed, how much worse can it get?

Are people seriously not concerned about how crazy (and not in the fun way anymore) he's become? The guy's mind snapped and he almost cut off his best friend's arm! Only to be changed by another heartfelt (forced) speech from Winger?

The guy's psycho and nobody's really talking about it.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:51 PM   #905
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
The show already killed Abed, how much worse can it get?

Are people seriously not concerned about how crazy (and not in the fun way anymore) he's become? The guy's mind snapped and he almost cut off his best friend's arm! Only to be changed by another heartfelt (forced) speech from Winger?

The guy's psycho and nobody's really talking about it.
Yeah.... I agree actually.... Abed sorta went around a bend this season... And all the other characters just smile and nod like nothing is wrong.
Old May 20 2012, 08:16 PM   #906
tighr
Commodore

He was crazy-town banana pants, but as of the finale he's finally cured. Well, not cured, but realizes he's crazy.
Old May 20 2012, 11:01 PM   #907
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
He was crazy-town banana pants, but as of the finale he's finally cured. Well, not cured, but realizes he's crazy.
He's not even close to cured. It was all lip-service, taking down the holode... imaginarium. And then we see the sinister move of him stepping into his own, privite, mini crazy-box.

The first time, he wanted to gruesomely chop off his friend's arm. Something like that doesn't usually taper off and get better.

This IS supposed to be a light-hearted sitcom. Or so every ending has me believe with those simplistic speeches and resolutions, which seem to be getting worse with every episode! Especially when contrasted with Abed's crazy.
Old May 21 2012, 01:20 AM   #908
tighr
Commodore

Whoosh. You completely missed the point of my post... I was riffing off of what Abed said at the end of the episode.

Abed: Britta, I'm so sorry.
Britta: It doesn't matter, Abed. I should have never played therapist with you. I'll change my major just one more time.
Abed: But you can't. You cured me. I mean, I'm not cured. I'm willing to admit I definitely need therapy. And you're the only kind of shrink I could ever trust, the one with as little control over my mind as me.
Old May 21 2012, 01:31 AM   #909
scnj
Captain

I was actually happy with the finale as a series finale rather than a season finale. It's been fun, but with the crew completely changing, I'm not particularly interested in a retooled version of the show.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 04:44 AM   #910
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

I'm not so sure it'll be retooled. Just as likely for the ratings they get, they'll take whatever notes Harmon left in his desk, work 13 episodes around 'em, and polish off the show that way. NBC has a tastier syndication offering, everyone's contracts run out, and we're done.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 05:03 AM   #911
Jono
Rear Admiral

I haven't really overly enjoyed this season as a whole. I'd probably give it a "C". I felt like the show was treading water a bit and that it was going over a lot of the same stuff from previous seasons. I'm hoping that the new blood coming in will return Community to my "must watch" list.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 06:27 AM   #912
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Saw the musical primer in s03e01 again and...

LIARS!

Annie and Jeff did not do it!

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 04:25 PM   #913
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
Whoosh. You completely missed the point of my post... I was riffing off of what Abed said at the end of the episode.

Abed: Britta, I'm so sorry.
Britta: It doesn't matter, Abed. I should have never played therapist with you. I'll change my major just one more time.
Abed: But you can't. You cured me. I mean, I'm not cured. I'm willing to admit I definitely need therapy. And you're the only kind of shrink I could ever trust, the one with as little control over my mind as me.
Nope, I completely got that. Then they showed him taking down his imaginarium with the others, showing he's on his way to recovery (because, you know, homicidal tendencies just need therapy to fix).

And THEN, after all that, they show him sneaking into his mini crazy box.

Whoosh. You missed that his words were all "Yeah, I need help" and then his actions were "screw that, let's just murder someone next season."

Alcoholics can say "I need help", but if they're still drinking, it doesn't mean a thing.
Old May 21 2012, 05:34 PM   #914
tighr
Commodore

When I said whoosh, it was because I was making a joke. When you said whoosh, it was because you are taking a television show way too seriously.
Old May 21 2012, 08:00 PM   #915
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I'm just looking for an entertaining comedy, something Community has excelled at in the past.

All this darkness is making it difficult NOT to take the show too seriously. That's the opposite effect a comedy should be having.

I'm actually optimistic about the new season now, believe it or not. The first season was so much better than this, overall, that a change-up of some sort was needed. Of course, it could get even worse, but as far as I'm concerned, the damage is done, no harm in trying.