Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 20 2012, 12:52 PM   #4306
Camren
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Another trophy bought by a billionaire, just great.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 01:08 PM   #4307
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Rummenigge's speech at the after-party was fair enough - didn't really bemoan Chelsea, or how they won it, but focused more on how Bayern should have won it, but only had themselves to blame for not doing so.

But for English opposition in the champions League, Chelsea would likely have been more successful than they have been - twice knocked out by Liverpool in the SF and beaten finalists by Man Utd. Had they not played English teams at those stages I suspect that they'd have more than one Champions League win by now.
Old May 20 2012, 09:48 PM   #4308
Starkers
Admiral

Well hardly a triumph for English football (Russian owner, Italian manager, three English players in the starting line up) but good for them anyway. I always love it when people maon about teams defending, or not letting the other team play, like the weaker team should just let the superior team win all the time. That's what I love about football, it's never predictable and a weaker team can win on the night. Hard to think of Chelsea as a weaker team mind you.

Be interesting to see where they go from here because this possibly is a last hurrah for a while given the rebuilding work that RDM or someone's gonna have to do soon.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 10:43 PM   #4309
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The biggest danger now is that this gives them the false impression that actually they could carry some of these players for a few more years yet. They can't, they need to rebuild, desperately.

Drogba has been absolutely immense in the European campaign this season, but there can surely be no better way of signing off than the way he did last night. If it were me, that would be his last game. Kalou, Obi Mikel would on their way too, and possibly Essien. Cech, Terry, Lampard - I'd keep them for another year, but bring in players to replace them and use this next season to effect the transition.
Old May 20 2012, 11:41 PM   #4310
TheGus251
Ensign

Chelsea defended like trojans and no matter how ugly or lucky they may have been they have their name on the trophy and that's all that matters

but I am still struggling to understand how Bayern managed to throw away three golden opportunities to win it

1. leading with a couple of minute left

2. missed penalty in ET

3. 3-1 up on penalty shoot-out

they also missed a bundle of chances, very unlike a German time to be so wasteful and unprofessional, taking off Muller for Van Buyten straight after the goal was a mistake and I am still mystified as to how Gomez has such a good goalscoring record this season because whenver I watch him he misses chance after chance

nonetheless congrats chelsea, a title is a title no matter how you win it
Old May 21 2012, 06:33 AM   #4311
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Well hardly a triumph for English football (Russian owner, Italian manager, three English players in the starting line up) but good for them anyway. I always love it when people maon about teams defending, or not letting the other team play, like the weaker team should just let the superior team win all the time. That's what I love about football, it's never predictable and a weaker team can win on the night. Hard to think of Chelsea as a weaker team mind you.
I understood the tactics against Barcelona, but playing the same way against Bayern is ridiculous. Bayern is no fucking Barcelona.
Old May 21 2012, 07:43 AM   #4312
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Bayern - 14 wins out of 16 at home
Chelsea - 6 wins out of 19 away from home

Chelsea were always going to play a defensive game, especially when they utilized it to great success over Barcelona.
Old May 21 2012, 08:53 AM   #4313
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Yes, a win is a win, but I think it's defeatist. It says: We're really not that good of a team. Who says Drogba couldn't have scored three goals if he had gotten more balls?

It's a legitimate way to play if you're a serious underdog. When Shit-In-The-Woods FC plays Manchester United in the FA Cup, you'd expect them to play like that, but as Chelsea in the Champions League final I think it's embarrassing. Have some self-respect for fuck's sake.

If I were Abramovich, I would be ecstatic about the victory, but I would not re-sign Di Matteo (whom I actually like) if that's the future he sees for the club.
Old May 21 2012, 06:54 PM   #4314
Relayer1
Commodore

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
I understood the tactics against Barcelona, but playing the same way against Bayern is ridiculous. Bayern is no fucking Barcelona.
It was a plan. It was well implemented and worked - that makes them the better team. Maybe not the most talented players, but a better team.
Old May 21 2012, 07:10 PM   #4315
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
When Shit-In-The-Woods FC plays Manchester United in the FA Cup, you'd expect them to play like that, but as Chelsea in the Champions League final I think it's embarrassing. Have some self-respect for fuck's sake.
Indeed, and it worked well for them too - Manchester United 0, Leeds United 1 as I recall

I agree with the above, though. Congratulations to Chelsea - I watched in a pub in West London (downside to moving to Wimbledon - Chelsea heartland) amongst about 500 Chelsea fans so had little choice but to get behind them! Enjoyed it though, and you just knew they were going to win. If not when Drogba scored, but definitely when Robben blew the penalty.

Abramovich will surely not give di Matteo the job if that's the football he'd be getting. Four English starters by the way - Lampard, Cole, Bertrand and Cahill. Better than the Italian-free Inter side who won in 2010 if nothing else!

Different tack here but this made me smile (sorry if these are your most hated enemies or something, Roger!): http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/new...05/index.shtml
Old May 21 2012, 07:44 PM   #4316
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Who's to say that that would be the way that Chelsea would play next season under Di Matteo?

Presumably, if he gets the job then he'll be allowed to instigate changes to the squad.

What he's achieved so far, he's done with someone else's team. A team that's in desperate need of an overhaul. Players like Terry, Lampard and Drogba are all past their best and will need to be replaced in the next year or two. Plus they have players who aren't good anyway - Kalou, Obi Mikel.....

Even with these limitations, Di Matteo has conceived a strategy that utilizes what strengths they do have, and turned them into a completely different team than the one that Villas Boas was managing earlier in the season.

If this is what he can achieve with someone else's limited team, then he should be given the chance to prove what he can do with his own.

It wouldn't surprise me if he gets a 12 month contract - in 12 months time Guus Hiddink is out of contract, Guardiola will be closer to returning to the game, and Mourinho may be tempted to end his reign in Spain.
Old May 21 2012, 08:06 PM   #4317
Roger Wilco
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Different tack here but this made me smile (sorry if these are your most hated enemies or something, Roger!): http://www.cardiffcity-mad.co.uk/new...05/index.shtml
Heh, they are one of our biggest rivals historically, but I agree with the message, and I'd much rather have them in my league than fucking Red Bull.
Old May 21 2012, 09:33 PM   #4318
Starkers
Admiral

Four English starters? Is it that I can't count or that I'm just behind the curve when it comes to English players!!

I do think irrespective of what RDM has achived, doing a great job in a pinch is one thing, but doing the job full time can be something else. Avram Grant was close to winning a Premier/Champions League double don't forget.

If I were RDM I'd walk (not like he's gonna be short of offers) but he's Chelsea through and through so suspect he'll wait and see.

Old May 22 2012, 07:47 PM   #4319
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ You probably just forgot who Ryan Bertrand was. Or, like me, can't get your brain to process Gary Cahill in the Champions League. The Champions League final. Winning the Champions League.

Gary Cahill.
Old May 23 2012, 08:49 AM   #4320
Starkers
Admiral

It was Bertand!