Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie:
A+ 1 4.35%
A 0 0%
A- 2 8.70%
B+ 5 21.74%
B 4 17.39%
B- 2 8.70%
C+ 1 4.35%
C 5 21.74%
C- 1 4.35%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 8.70%
D- 0 0%
FAIL!!!!! 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2012, 04:20 PM   #31
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Read on IMDB.com that there's a bonus postcredit scene. This has been confirmed by a friend who saw it before I did the other night.

Now I gotta go see it again to find out what I missed the first time...and I'm catchin' hell from her for not waitin' for it the first time.
Old May 20 2012, 04:34 PM   #32
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

^^ Yeah, I've gotten in the habit of staying through the credits everytime I go to the movies, just in case.

I read a post on another board arguing that the aliens' apparently stupid actions make perfect sense if you assume that:

a) The "attack" was really a crash-landing caused by accidentally clipping a satellite on the way down.

b) The aliens spend most of the film acting in self-defence and are actively working to minimise casualties.

c) The real bad guy is the human protagonist, who continually escalates the situation with his deranged over-reactions, and who only comes out looking like a hero because his actions manage to get his commanding officer killed, leaving no witnesses to the fact that he exceeded his orders and opened fire without authorisation.

Haven't seen the movie, but its an interesting alternate take.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 04:40 PM   #33
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Disruptor wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Who needs this when Syfy has American Warships on tonight. At least they're timely with their mockbusters.
Mario Van Peebles stars...Sonny Spoon's gonna get his rappin' POSSE and go New Jack City on those aliens.

Edit: I watched most that and have to say that it was terrible not even in fun-terrible way. Carl Weathers spends most of the movie in a Ramada Inn convention room talking to some guy with a bad fake accent.

Van Peebles represents the fine standards of the US Navy by have an affair with an officer under his command.

US stealth bombers and Chinese jet use the same cockpit and helmet designs.

When they said they were sending mothballed ships and museum aircraft to aid the Iowa, I almost expected Snoopy on his flying "Sopwith Camel" doghouse to arrive.

I think one minute of BATTLESHIP footage had 10 times the budget of American Warships.
Well, at least the junior officer was hot (she was Gannett on ENT once upon a time...).

What kills me was they were walking around on the deck next to the main guns while they were firing. Just walking around. In real life they'd be deafened and slammed flat with each shot. Do any of these people read a book?
To be fair, by Syfy/Asylum standards that was about the top of the heap. There seemed to be some effort put into the production and it moved along well. I even learned something, I didn't know about voice-operated phones.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 06:42 PM   #34
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

od0_ital wrote: View Post
Read on IMDB.com that there's a bonus postcredit scene. This has been confirmed by a friend who saw it before I did the other night.

Now I gotta go see it again to find out what I missed the first time...and I'm catchin' hell from her for not waitin' for it the first time.
I wouldn't bother unless you really want to see the movie again anyway. It didn't add much and it's easy enough to find on YouTube, so it's not really worth waiting through the credits or paying admission (if you have to) solely for that scene. There's no special effects wizardry that needs to be seen on the big screen or anything.

The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:16 PM   #35
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I read a post on another board arguing that the aliens' apparently stupid actions make perfect sense if you assume that:

a) The "attack" was really a crash-landing caused by accidentally clipping a satellite on the way down.
One ship crash landed. The others functioned perfectly enough to land safely, blockade an archipelago, sink three ships and debark enough troops to occupy the top of a hill with an entire research base on it. Should we also assume they did all this just to call home for a tow?

b) The aliens spend most of the film acting in self-defence and are actively working to minimise casualties.
Then how do you explain the giant bladed bocce balls they started tossing around into populated cities? Peaceful probes with screwed up guidance systems?

c) The real bad guy is the human protagonist, who continually escalates the situation with his deranged over-reactions, and who only comes out looking like a hero because his actions manage to get his commanding officer killed, leaving no witnesses to the fact that he exceeded his orders and opened fire without authorisation.
"Weapons Tight" means "Do not fire unless attacked," not "Do not fire without permission." All the protagonist did was walk up to the mothership and touch it, and got electrocuted and flung into the ocean for his trouble. That qualifies as an attack, which meant that he had all the authorization he needed to shoot back, and his shipmates had every right to open fire in his defense. No human did anything outside of his authority concerning his or her response to the aliens' actions.

A while back I got into a low-level argument with someone over the actions of Admiral Ozzel in TESB. His alternate take was that since he didn't want to believe Imperial Officers were stupid, he liked to think that Ozzel was really a Rebel Sympathizer trying to protect the base at Hoth. The problem is that the evidence on the screen says otherwise, that in fact while other Impies may be brilliant, Ozzel was disrespectful (to Vader of all people) and a moron.

As interesting as this alternate take is, what's shown on screen makes it BS. The aliens' actions are just as easily explained by the possibility that the guy with brains died in the crash and his subordinates tried to continue the advance mission without a clear understanding of how to deal with the natives in the meantime.

But alternate takes are fanfiction, not canon. Canon says, they came, they attacked and the protagonists are heroes for stopping them.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 09:03 PM   #36
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Well the "attack" on Hong Kong was an accident, but how was humanity supposed to know that. As it was nobody said unknown, fire. As I have been suggesting the aliens were following their laws of war, but attack they did even accepting noncombantant casualties to cut the roads to the mountains.

The hero didn't kill his CO. The squadron commander, his older brother ordered a ship to fire a warning shot, which was not recognized as such. And his CO along with the rest of the squadron was lost in the battle which followed.

Its the Navy, they keep logs even if the movie didn't show sailors repeating every order and those SOPs. If something survives the admiralty would do their best to reconstruct the incident.
Old May 21 2012, 03:28 AM   #37
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Didn't go see it this weekend. Maybe next weekend. Meh.
Old May 21 2012, 03:44 AM   #38
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Better make it soon or you will watch it at home
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Who needs this when Syfy has American Warships on tonight. At least they're timely with their mockbusters.
Having seen parts of the first hour it was NuBSG on water
Old May 21 2012, 03:50 AM   #39
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Battleship got buttfucked with the Liam Neeson sized cock of The Avengers this weekend. Who didn't see that cumming?
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 03:59 AM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Better make it soon or you will watch it at home
I'll probably go see it this next weekend.
Old May 21 2012, 02:44 PM   #41
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post
C-, mainly for some nice alien FX....otherwise, it was pretty stupid. What sort of strategic advantage would aliens advanced enough to make it to Earth after a recent message into space have by fighting in the water instead of the air or space? Why are they firing missles with scarely more power than Earth missles? Why did the lead protagonist of the movie spend 10 minutes looking for a chicken burrito?
Meh. I didn't see the film so I cannot comment on whether it's good or bad or not but generally I think this is an unfair criticism.

Star Trek fans typically are very forgiving of Trek for it's outright often absurd magical engineering solutions to problems that are only instantly forgotten 3 episodes later where the same problem could have been solved with the one they just used.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for Trek and for other sci-fi films that fail at the poorly thought out engineering generally to resolve plot problems.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 02:53 PM   #42
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

DarthTom wrote: View Post

Meh. I didn't see the film so I cannot comment on whether it's good or bad or not but generally I think this is an unfair criticism.

Star Trek fans typically are very forgiving of Trek for it's outright often absurd magical engineering solutions to problems that are only instantly forgotten 3 episodes later where the same problem could have been solved with the one they just used.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief for Trek and for other sci-fi films that fail at the poorly thought out engineering generally to resolve plot problems.

I think the difference is, we're willing to put up with scientific BS in Trek because the stories are interesting and we like the characters.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2012, 03:14 PM   #43
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

I think the difference is, we're willing to put up with scientific BS in Trek because the stories are interesting and we like the characters.
[cough]ST Voyager - Thresholod[cough] [cough]ST Voyager - Any episode on the holodeck at Fairhaven[cough]

[cough] TOS Spocks Brain [cough]

[cough] TNG - Code of Honor - Skin of Evil - Shades of Gray [cough]

In any case, I got your point that we generally like the characters whereas in Battleship apparently people did not.

I was just saying that Trek is notorious for using plot devices that are all but forgotten in subsequent episodes to solve problems and to criticize it for doing so leaves Trek IMO ripe for the same observations.
Old May 21 2012, 03:53 PM   #44
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
od0_ital wrote: View Post

I wouldn't bother unless you really want to see the movie again anyway. It didn't add much and it's easy enough to find on YouTube, so it's not really worth waiting through the credits or paying admission (if you have to) solely for that scene. There's no special effects wizardry that needs to be seen on the big screen or anything.
Well, I don't have to pay to see it, since I work for a movie theater chain here in Austin. And I have friends who do want to see it, so I can get 'em in for free, too.

Old May 21 2012, 03:54 PM   #45
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

on topic: Reuters is characterizing this as 'Battleship disaster' in terms of the box office:

Reuters

Reuters) - "Battleship," Universal Picture's big budget science fiction film, is likely to dent the studio's profits after it opened with lower than forecast ticket sales, according to analysts.
The film, which Comcast unit Universal has said cost $209 million to produce, generated $23.4 million in ticket sales at theaters in the U.S. and Canada during its opening weekend, according to figures compiled by Hollywood.com.