RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,911
Posts: 5,477,980
Members: 25,052
Currently online: 536
Newest member: vova123

TrekToday headlines

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 20 2012, 11:16 AM   #1
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Either I missed something, or nobody here has mentioned that there is an original short story, derived from the "Star Trek Online" game events and characters, in Titan's recent "Star Trek Magazine", no 40, Summer 2012.


Captain Va'kel Shon by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Author Christine Thompson continues storylines from "Star Trek Online" and features the handover of the Enterprise captaincy from Data (IDW's "Countdown"), now in his professor role from "All Good Things...", to the Andorian, Shon, for the launch of the Enterprise-F. Also clarified is the fate of the B-4.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Dunno, but I'm amazed nobody mentioned Greg Cox's Facebook post on May 8th that included the words "contracts" and "Star Trek:The Twilight Realm"...
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Autonomy (Daniel Blythe)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 11:37 AM   #3
DarkHorizon
Captain
 
DarkHorizon's Avatar
 
Location: Newport, Wales
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

I'll just note that Christine Thompson is 'Kestrel', the game's head writer. I don't read STM any more, so I didn't see that.

As for Greg's news - I don't follow the authors on Facebook, so will have missed that. A link would be appreciated.
__________________
Musings of a fandom geek - Sometimes, you’ve just got to say “The laws of time and space? Who gives a smeg?”
DarkHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
I'll just note that Christine Thompson is 'Kestrel', the game's head writer. I don't read STM any more, so I didn't see that.

As for Greg's news - I don't follow the authors on Facebook, so will have missed that. A link would be appreciated.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...0&id=591878799

Of course, he doesn't say it's a book - could be a comic or videogame, or fan film - but on the balance of probabilities...
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Autonomy (Daniel Blythe)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 02:00 PM   #5
Relayer1
Commodore
 
Relayer1's Avatar
 
Location: The Black Country, England
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

I don't buy it. This is probably a dumb question, but as an avid consumer of Treklit, is this a first or has original fiction been included in the magazine before ?
__________________
Soon oh soon the light, Pass within and soothe this endless night, And wait here for you, Our reason to be here...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

I seem to recall that ST Magazine didn't have a fiction license in the past. So something has evidently changed.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
as an avid consumer of Treklit, is this a first or has original fiction been included in the magazine before ?
Last time we saw original short ST stories in a magazine was that relaunch of "Amazing Stories", which alternated TNG and VOY stories with "Babylon 5". John Ordover eventually negotiated to have the ST ones reprinted in a trade omnibus:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Amazing_Stories
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Of course, it could be that STM only has the license to do fiction based on Star Trek Online, much as Amazing Stories only had the TNG and VGR licenses.
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 04:08 PM   #9
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
I'll just note that Christine Thompson is 'Kestrel', the game's head writer. I don't read STM any more, so I didn't see that.

As for Greg's news - I don't follow the authors on Facebook, so will have missed that. A link would be appreciated.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...0&id=591878799

Of course, he doesn't say it's a book - could be a comic or videogame, or fan film - but on the balance of probabilities...

Oh, it's definitely my next novel. Another TOS book set during the original five-year mission.

And, despite the title, no sparkly vampires are involved!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 05:37 PM   #10
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain
 
Julio Angel Ortiz's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Oh, it's definitely my next novel. Another TOS book set during the original five-year mission.

And, despite the title, no sparkly vampires are involved!
For a second there, I thought I had the first Trek novel to give to my 9-year old daughter to read...
__________________
Blog | Star Trek: Titan Guide
Julio Angel Ortiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
DarkHorizon wrote: View Post
I'll just note that Christine Thompson is 'Kestrel', the game's head writer. I don't read STM any more, so I didn't see that.

As for Greg's news - I don't follow the authors on Facebook, so will have missed that. A link would be appreciated.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...0&id=591878799

Of course, he doesn't say it's a book - could be a comic or videogame, or fan film - but on the balance of probabilities...

Oh, it's definitely my next novel. Another TOS book set during the original five-year mission.

And, despite the title, no sparkly vampires are involved!
What about Sols and Master Swords?
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Autonomy (Daniel Blythe)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...0&id=591878799

Of course, he doesn't say it's a book - could be a comic or videogame, or fan film - but on the balance of probabilities...

Oh, it's definitely my next novel. Another TOS book set during the original five-year mission.

And, despite the title, no sparkly vampires are involved!
What about Sols and Master Swords?
Alas, I don't get that reference . . . .
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:02 PM   #13
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
What about Sols and Master Swords?
Alas, I don't get that reference . . . .
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has Hyrule invaded from The Twilight Realm...
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: Autonomy (Daniel Blythe)

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:05 PM   #14
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: Covington, Ky.
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Either I missed something, or nobody here has mentioned that there is an original short story, derived from the "Star Trek Online" game events and characters, in Titan's recent "Star Trek Magazine", no 40, Summer 2012.


Captain Va'kel Shon by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Author Christine Thompson continues storylines from "Star Trek Online" and features the handover of the Enterprise captaincy from Data (IDW's "Countdown"), now in his professor role from "All Good Things...", to the Andorian, Shon, for the launch of the Enterprise-F. Also clarified is the fate of the B-4.
I'd much rather have Data as the captain of the Enterprise fiction, than a character I don't know and don't care about.
__________________
"If I hadn't tried, the cost would have been my soul." - Admiral James T. Kirk, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:15 PM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Has no one mentioned "Unexpected Honor" by Christine Thompson?

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
What about Sols and Master Swords?
Alas, I don't get that reference . . . .
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess has Hyrule invaded from The Twilight Realm...
Ah, clearly there are holes in my fannish knowledge!
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.