RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,203
Posts: 5,404,414
Members: 24,758
Currently online: 524
Newest member: ashlynnbrooke80

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie:
A+ 1 4.35%
A 0 0%
A- 2 8.70%
B+ 5 21.74%
B 4 17.39%
B- 2 8.70%
C+ 1 4.35%
C 5 21.74%
C- 1 4.35%
D+ 0 0%
D 2 8.70%
D- 0 0%
FAIL!!!!! 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 19 2012, 12:06 AM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

So, anyone brave going to see this yet?

Does it have what it's going to take to knock Avengers off #1?

Does it live up to the mythology of the game?
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 12:24 AM   #2
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Knock off the Avengers, not a chance. Live up to the game, mission accomplished. It was much better then I hoped for. Yes a battleship gets in on the action manned by vets, sort of like The Segal movie Under Siege. There is a night battle sequence which plays out like the game. While there is no "you sunk my battleship" we get a close quote.
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 12:33 AM   #3
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Yeah, I'm sure it doesn't have a chance hell of even touching Avengers.

I'll probably go see this tomorrow night.
__________________
Out of hope.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 12:47 AM   #4
Cutter John
Rear Admiral
 
Cutter John's Avatar
 
Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, just south of Seattle.
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

I'll pass. This has Independence Day 2 written all over it.
__________________
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 12:55 AM   #5
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I'll pass. This has Independence Day 2 written all over it.
Think more Battle:LA without the realistic battle tactics. There is no President leading a fighter wing. The previews are misleading in the battle scenes and humor content
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 01:53 AM   #6
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

It was better than I expected. Somewhat predictable, and I could have done without the screw up needing to ask the admiral's permission to marry the daughter.

I did like the vet finding his 'fight' again. Predictable, but fun.

I gave it a B-, but I have to say there's something cool about a battleship firing a broadside salvo into an alien ship.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 02:10 AM   #7
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

I've just seen it.

It's stupid. It's not even "good stupid." The story is just idiotic, even for an alien shoot-em-up movie. Not only that, but it's like the writers packed in every navy war movie cliche they could think of, and it was just bad luck that they only remembered the cheesiest ones.

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

The only reason I gave it a "C" is because I'm a naval enthusiast, and I just like to see real US Navy ships maneuvering around. Of course, I was a little dismayed in the first act when the DDG's trapped in the bubble only fought back with their dinky 5 inchers. I'm like "What part of GUIDED MISSILE Destroyer do you not understand?" Then they remembered for the Battleship game scene and started shooting anti-ship Tomahawks like that was all they were carrying. (Burkes usually carry 6-8.)

Then they turned Missouri from a museum to a functioning battlewagon in like five minutes. Not even Bill Adama could do that. Not even the crew of Space Battleship Yamato could do that. And then they just start lugging around a shell the weight of a Volkswagen.

Whatever. The full Iowa-class broadside was cool.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 04:06 AM   #8
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

.
My Voyager memory is kind of hazy. Are you referencing the aliens code of conduct which allowed John Paul Jones to survive when the rest of the squadron was lost? It reminded me of the predator movies and their hunter ethics. Until the cops showed up to say the roads to the mountain was cut I could not understand with all the red and green codes why the highway was blown up but then they were acting like no collateral damage whould be allowed or surrendering prisoners should be harmed.
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 06:32 AM   #9
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Well I got a free ticket to this today. I wasn't really planning on seeing it, but since it's free I'm gonna go take a look.
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 08:55 AM   #10
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral
 
Dimesdan's Avatar
 
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

I'm sure this has been out here for a month or so, can't say I want to see it.
__________________
People in third world countries are so lucky they don't have to deal with these problems. - TheGodBen

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 02:39 PM   #11
Admiral2
Vice Admiral
 
Admiral2's Avatar
 
Location: Peregrine Cliff
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

.
My Voyager memory is kind of hazy. Are you referencing the aliens code of conduct which allowed John Paul Jones to survive when the rest of the squadron was lost? It reminded me of the predator movies and their hunter ethics. Until the cops showed up to say the roads to the mountain was cut I could not understand with all the red and green codes why the highway was blown up but then they were acting like no collateral damage whould be allowed or surrendering prisoners should be harmed.
The Hirogen were Predator-wannabes that at least talked. The Battleship aliens were Iron Man-wannabes that didn't talk and didn't like bright light like Gremlins. Don't think too hard about it.

And there's nothing ethical about the Predators' actions. They don't attack unarmed and/or non-aggressive prey. That doesn't mean they give a damn about collateral damage. They just find such targets boring.
__________________
"That's another thing Hollywood gets wrong. Real women EAT."

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 02:53 PM   #12
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Star Wolf wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post

"But A2," you say, "you sang the praises of Battle:LA and it had just as many cliches!" True, but as already mentioned it had more accurate battle scenes, which were also more intense...and the aliens were a hundred times more interesting. The bad guys here were like the Hirogen...without the personality.

.
My Voyager memory is kind of hazy. Are you referencing the aliens code of conduct which allowed John Paul Jones to survive when the rest of the squadron was lost? It reminded me of the predator movies and their hunter ethics. Until the cops showed up to say the roads to the mountain was cut I could not understand with all the red and green codes why the highway was blown up but then they were acting like no collateral damage whould be allowed or surrendering prisoners should be harmed.
The Hirogen were Predator-wannabes that at least talked. The Battleship aliens were Iron Man-wannabes that didn't talk and didn't like bright light like Gremlins. Don't think too hard about it.

And there's nothing ethical about the Predators' actions. They don't attack unarmed and/or non-aggressive prey. That doesn't mean they give a damn about collateral damage. They just find such targets boring.
I was thinking about Predator 2 when he let a pregnant Maria Conchita Alonso go. I just saw the battleship aliens as soldiers following their laws of war. They attacked the highway to cut off the mountain, after which they let civilians alone in the rest of the world. When the John Paul Jones with cold guns turned off of her ramming attack she was let go. When Missouri made her turn to give a broadside they also hesitated, which did bite them in the ass.
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
od0_ital
Admiral
 
od0_ital's Avatar
 
Location: Nacogdoches, Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

C

Saw it for free at the midnight screenin' Thursday. I was one of about a dozen folks in the theater. To give y'all an idea...the midnight shows for The Hunger Games and The Avengers sold out the buildin' (eight screens), while Battleship couldn't fill a row in one screen. And I wasn't the only employee in there!

So, yeah, no chance of takin' out The Avengers at the box office.

As for the movie itself, it wanted to be Transformers so bad, ya could taste it. And the good guys only succeed because of stupid mistakes the bad guys make. First, they stop firin' on a known threat just 'cause it turns away, and second, one of the foot soldiers gives the scientist dude the equipment he needs to contact the ship from the island. Literally hands it to him and lets him go!

Also, I gotta wonder why the rollin' smart bombs didn't register a kid with a baseball bat as a threat...
__________________
od0's bucket od0's facebook
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 08:56 PM   #14
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral
 
Star Wolf's Avatar
 
Location: ciudad de Los Angeles
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

Then they turned Missouri from a museum to a functioning battlewagon in like five minutes. Not even Bill Adama could do that. Not even the crew of Space Battleship Yamato could do that. .
Come to think of it, that was the Independence Day moment, where the old veterans on Missouri join the young sailors instead of veteran pilots volunteering to fly the F-18s that came out of nowhere. Yet then we have the weirdness of being at Pearl Harbor and no active duty shore sailors stepping up with the squadron survivors to join in this battle like the disabled soldier on the mountain did. Thinking about it now, plot points aside, the feeling was more Armageddon then Independence Day or Battle:LA
__________________
I'm not crazy! All I Really Need to Know I learned by Watching The Wire
Star Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 09:08 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Battleship: Spoilers, Discuss, Yadda, Yadda, Yadda

Who needs this when Syfy has American Warships on tonight. At least they're timely with their mockbusters.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
flop, taylor kitsch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.