Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 15 2012, 10:36 PM   #151
Scout101
Admiral

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

While thing is retarded anyway. It's a 3-member team that decides on suspensions. 1 is a MLB rep, votes to suspend every time. 1 is Player's Union rep, votes to overturn every time. So basically, despite all this crap about a committee, it's just basically whatever this one guy thinks...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 05:23 AM   #152
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Ouch...
Old May 17 2012, 03:51 PM   #153
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ That was strange.

Watched a clip of Brett Lawrie bouncing his batting helmet off the ump.

They said "during the Jays-Rays game...." and all I could think was "well you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but you doesn't have to call me Mister Johnson...."
Ar-Pharazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 04:16 PM   #154
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
^ That was strange.
I honestly had no idea it was possible to pass out from being hit in the *arm*. But you saw how the ball left its imprint...guess anything's possible.

Also: Rhymes said that when he came to, he told people he was Batman just to mess with their heads. They should give him that nickname for the rest of his career.

They said "during the Jays-Rays game...." and all I could think was "well you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, but you doesn't have to call me Mister Johnson...."
If you're thinking of the Bob Uecker commercial I think you are, I thought it was "you can call me Ray, or you can call me Jay, or you can call me Billy..."
Old May 17 2012, 04:17 PM   #155
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I watched that the other day, while the 3-1 pitch was a ball. The pitch he was called out on was border line. However I think that Lawrie was still upset about the call before. Unfortunately for him, the helmet bounced up and struck the Ump. I'm sure it was unintentional and four games is a bit much, but thats the way the helmet bounces.

^ That was strange.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 06:31 PM   #156
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

I was actually thinking about the original Ray Jay Johnson schtick. Unless he was in the commercial.

Old May 18 2012, 05:46 PM   #157
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I watched that the other day, while the 3-1 pitch was a ball. The pitch he was called out on was border line. However I think that Lawrie was still upset about the call before. Unfortunately for him, the helmet bounced up and struck the Ump. I'm sure it was unintentional and four games is a bit much, but thats the way the helmet bounces.
Lawrie threw equipment, on the field, that struck an umpire, while acting and speaking aggressively toward the same umpire. The suspension was completely deserved. He wasn't suspended for showing emotion, or playing hard, or anything like that.

A player is responsible for his actions on the field. Lawrie threw his helmet in the direction of the umpire and it landed really close to the umpire's feet, regardless of the bounce. Unacceptable. If he had thrown it at the dugout and it took the wackiest bounce in recorded history, that's a different story. But being a crying manchild and throwing your helmet down hard within inches of an umpire you are in the process of (and continuing to) scream and carry on at ... no. Can't be allowed. At all.

The bigger issue is with how arbitrary MLB suspension lengths are, more than the action itself. League officials pretty much just conjured the number up out of thin air, which is starting to become quite a noticeable, and disturbing, trend (and further illustrates just how bothersome the termination of Shyam Das is -- MLB doesn't give a shit about due process, it just does what it wants).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 07:41 PM   #158
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I did't say he shouldn't be suspended, just thought that four days suspension was a bit much for the infraction. I thought he would get two days or maybe three. Which is not that far off from the four, just what I was imagining from the incident. The helmet barely grazed him. Hitters throw helmets and bats all the time, usually without hitting an Ump or another player. Also it wasn't like he intentionally threw the helmet at the Ump, would you say it was intentional? Do you think what he did is as bad as when Alomar spit in the Ump face, he got 5 days. The opinion about the four days is mine alone, its neither right or wrongs just an opinion. If you read the last part of my statement, I say "Thats how the helmet bounces." Meaning while I may not agree 100%, I'm fine with it. Seeing as how you pounce on what ever I say, I think you just itch for some sort of confrontation instead of a discussion. I have no problem with disagreements, just a lot of your aggressions are uncalled for. I actually agree with a lot of things you say, we disagree on some minor issues.

I agree with you about the arbitrary nature of suspension, however the reason for that is usually the arbitrary nature of the infractions. While most infractions maybe similar, its the little difference that make the difference in how the suspension is handed out. It also depends on who we are talking about, which player. Another thing is the suspension of players like Pitchers, is it really fair to suspend a pitcher for 5 days and it not really affect his ability to pitch. Teams can just change the amount of rest and he still pitches next time. However I think for most common infractions they should have a standard policy for suspensions. You charge the mound, its X numbers of games. So players know what they are going to loose.

Timby wrote: View Post
Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Lawrie threw equipment, on the field, that struck an umpire, while acting and speaking aggressively toward the same umpire. The suspension was completely deserved. He wasn't suspended for showing emotion, or playing hard, or anything like that.

A player is responsible for his actions on the field. Lawrie threw his helmet in the direction of the umpire and it landed really close to the umpire's feet, regardless of the bounce. Unacceptable. If he had thrown it at the dugout and it took the wackiest bounce in recorded history, that's a different story. But being a crying manchild and throwing your helmet down hard within inches of an umpire you are in the process of (and continuing to) scream and carry on at ... no. Can't be allowed. At all.

The bigger issue is with how arbitrary MLB suspension lengths are, more than the action itself. League officials pretty much just conjured the number up out of thin air, which is starting to become quite a noticeable, and disturbing, trend (and further illustrates just how bothersome the termination of Shyam Das is -- MLB doesn't give a shit about due process, it just does what it wants).

Old May 19 2012, 04:05 AM   #159
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Kerry Wood retired today after recording a strikeout with a fucking filthy curveball.

That's the way it should be.
Old May 19 2012, 10:50 AM   #160
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

I agree, probably the best way to go out. I have to say this maybe one of the best retirement stories in baseball. Immensely classy all the way around, from the Cubs and Kerry. It was very heart warming to me.

Kerry Wood retired today after recording a strikeout with a fucking filthy curveball.

Old May 19 2012, 11:00 AM   #161
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, great way for him to go out.

...What if he hadn't struck that guy out?
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 12:47 PM   #162
Neroon
Mod of balance

His son coming out of the dugout to give him a big hug brought a bit of a tear to my eye.
- Proverbs 12:20
Neroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 02:32 PM   #163
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

Re: Kerry Wood. I always thought it was a shame Harry Carey died of a heart attack right before the 1998 season.
With Kerry's 20 strikeout game and Sammy Sosa in the HR derby, he would've died of a heart attack during the season for sure.
Old May 19 2012, 03:49 PM   #164
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: Kerry Wood. I always thought it was a shame Harry Carey died of a heart attack right before the 1998 season.
With Kerry's 20 strikeout game and Sammy Sosa in the HR derby, he would've died of a heart attack during the season for sure.
Yeah, it would have been great to have Harry Caray in the booth for 1998. Instead, we got his grandson, who is probably the second-best example of a guy who has a job solely because of who his sperm donor was, just behind Joe Buck.
Old May 19 2012, 07:48 PM   #165
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

^ Yeah, the idea of Chip Carey being the color man was so much more exciting than Chip Carey being the color man.