RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,719
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 826
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 18 2012, 06:36 AM   #886
Caliburn24
Commodore

Re: Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Wow, three new Community episodes in one night.

The video game episode was aired out of order I'm guessing?

All three were good episodes with the finale being the best.

I'm wondering if the montage at the end is going to pay off next season or if it was just for fun.

Oh, and Starburns lives!
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 09:41 AM   #887
tighr
Commodore

I found it interesting that the season finale (Introduction to Finality) takes place after summer break. Last week's episode (Curriculum Unavailable) takes place two months after being kicked out of school.

This made for some weird timeline issues, much like the episode after the extended break where it seemed like it was supposed to be a new semester. That should have aired in January instead of April. But that has a lot to do with NBC screwing around with the viewing order.
Old May 18 2012, 09:48 AM   #888
Skywalker
Admiral

tighr wrote: View Post
I found it interesting that the season finale (Introduction to Finality) takes place after summer break.
Are you sure? Jeff was going on and on about his biology final through the whole episode. Why would he be taking a final after the summer break? Or did they actually say it was after the summer, and I just missed it?

I did miss like the first minute of the ep, so that's possible.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 10:05 AM   #889
FreezeC77
Commodore

Skywalker wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post
I found it interesting that the season finale (Introduction to Finality) takes place after summer break.
Are you sure? Jeff was going on and on about his biology final through the whole episode. Why would he be taking a final after the summer break? Or did they actually say it was after the summer, and I just missed it?

I did miss like the first minute of the ep, so that's possible.
Yea. Jeff has a line where he talks about having to have spent his entire summer making up this biology course which was why he just wanted to study for the final and not deal with anything else. You'd have thought the Dean after being freed from imprisonment by the gang could have floated them all a passing grade in Biology in the course that got canceled.

I loved the 8bit episode. So basically this season we had an episode almost entirely in claymation and another in 8bit style. Why I love this show.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 04:19 PM   #890
Anwar
Vice Admiral

ARGH! I watched the Video Game episode and forgot about the other two!

I gotta find some illegal website now...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 09:25 PM   #891
Skywalker
Admiral

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
Yea. Jeff has a line where he talks about having to have spent his entire summer making up this biology course which was why he just wanted to study for the final and not deal with anything else. You'd have thought the Dean after being freed from imprisonment by the gang could have floated them all a passing grade in Biology in the course that got canceled.
Ahh, okay. Thanks! That probably was in the very first minute that I missed.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 12:21 AM   #892
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

So, did anybody else put on their home-made felt goatee when Lame Abed turned into Evil Abed, and then took it off again when Evil Abed transitioned back to normal Abed?

Just me then?
Old May 19 2012, 03:06 PM   #893
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

Out of the final three episode they played I thought the video game ep was the best.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 03:08 PM   #894
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Dan Harmon is out as showrunner, he'll be replaced by two guys who worked on Happy Endings and Aliens in America, whatever those shows are.

You know, I would have been okay with Harmon going if he had been replaced with someone else on the writing staff, but bringing in new people makes me worry that they're going to try and retool the show and make it more mainstream, which is kinda dumb for a niche show that's clearly on its last legs. My optimism is fading.

ETA: Chris McKenna and Dino Stamatopoulos are leaving over Harmon being pushed out, the Russo brothers appear to have left Sony altogether, Neil Goldman and Garrett Donovan have already announced that they're leaving for to work for Fox. The creative team behind the show is being gutted.

Last edited by TheGodBen; May 19 2012 at 03:36 PM.
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 03:36 PM   #895
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

The highest profile previous series for Guarascio and Port was running Just Shoot Me! for a little while (seasons five and six, it looks like). It appears they've been with Sony Pictures Television for years, so Sony must have decided that it was better for the company to move those two with an existing contract to Community rather than renew Harmon's contract. Vulture says that Harmon and Sony have had difficulties since the beginning of the show due to Harmon's management style (with the most recent public example being, of course, the Chevy Chase situation).

I'm disappointed that Harmon is leaving (especially since that article says no one contacted him about a new contract), and the news that McKenna is also leaving adds to that disappointment.

Last edited by PsychoPere; May 19 2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Correction re: Guarascio & Port on Just Shoot Me. Added Vulture link.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 05:30 PM   #896
Hunter X
Rear Admiral

Dan Harmon responds to finding out that he's been replaced.

Don't worry, Dan. Who knows, things may be down now, but you could find yourself directing a majorly successful Justice League movie ten years from now.
Hunter X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 05:38 PM   #897
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I don't want to be pessimistic, especially after "Introduction to Finality," but it certainly sounds as if when Community returns, it won't be the same show we've loved for the past three years. I hope I'm wrong. But, somehow, I just can't see episodes like "Digital Estate Planning," "Digital Exploration of Interior Design"/"Pillows and Blankets," "Remedial Chaos Theory," "Foosball and Nocturnal Vigilantism," "Epidemiology," or "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas" ever being done again (or, at least as well).
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 06:27 PM   #898
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

If Megan Ganz sticks around, she'd probably try to push for episodes like that, but, as Alan Sepinwall noted -- "Community" is Dan Harmon; Dan Harmon is "Community." Season four may be a serviceable enough sitcom (and not one I'd likely be interested in), but it will never be Dan Harmon's Commmunity.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 06:28 PM   #899
tighr
Commodore

It won't be. Community will essentially be another Big Bang Theory next season... a good idea that has de-evolved into a cookie cutter comedy for the masses.
Old May 19 2012, 06:30 PM   #900
Harvey
Admiral

Happy Endings is a good show, and Harmon is noted for being an asshole, so I'm not especially torn up over his departure -- but all the other writers that are leaving, too, have me a bit worried.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote