Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old May 15 2012, 03:57 PM   #16
Evil Twin
Rear Admiral

Re: Just finished KotOR for the first time...

From what I recall (only played the mod once) you don't get to go to the factory until late in the game.

What class are you playing as? I found the skill-heavy sentinel to ultimately be the most fun as there are a LOT more skill checks in this one, even in dialogue. Skills giving you more dialogue options is one of my favorite things about Obsidian's RPG's (NWN2, Fallout: New Vegas.) Of course it also encourages me to cheat, just so I can see all the options available to me in a single playthrough.
Old May 15 2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The thing I disliked about the sequel was that it revisited some of the locations from the first game, a bit too much in my opinion, which kind of felt a bit lazy. I would have liked some new locations instead. I mean, sure, the aftermath of Dantooine was neat, but we also got Korriban again. Replacing those with original locations like the others in the game, and I think the game would have had more going for it.

I also felt like the companion alignment was buggy. I so wanted to try to get the handmaiden to the dark side, but for whatever reason, maybe it's the dialogue choices, but it would often reset, and when late in the game, you don't have enough dark dialogue choices left to sway her again. It kind of made the companion alignment feel pointless.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:03 PM   #18
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
I've actually gotten my hands on a copy of KotOR 2 and have so far really enjoyed it. The intro level(s) was a bit on the dull side (though nor nearly as bad as Taris) but they managed to break it up a bit with the switching perspectives. However I wouldn't fancy doing that several times for multiple playthroughs mind, that'd be a hell of a slog.

Anyway, I think I'm about half way though having completed Nar Shaadda, (sp?) Danooine and have just gotten to the Mandalorian camp on Dxun.

I have noticed a number of weird bugs, even though I installed the "restored content" mod right from the off. Mostly minor stuff, though I think there's a fairly major on in that I can't seem to find the HK factory and the journal entry for the quest has vanished.
There's a mod to skip the intro, thankfully!

I don't know what the status of the mod is though, but when I was still up on it a year ago, they were doing frequent updates. Although it wouldn't surprise me if there are still some bugs in it.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
firehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 09:54 PM   #19
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Evil Twin wrote: View Post
From what I recall (only played the mod once) you don't get to go to the factory until late in the game.

What class are you playing as? I found the skill-heavy sentinel to ultimately be the most fun as there are a LOT more skill checks in this one, even in dialogue. Skills giving you more dialogue options is one of my favorite things about Obsidian's RPG's (NWN2, Fallout: New Vegas.) Of course it also encourages me to cheat, just so I can see all the options available to me in a single playthrough.
I think I started off as a guardian and moved on to a watchman later on in the game. Good thing too I think as you don't get a good combat support companion until fairly late in the game. I only wish I'd known ahead of time that I was supposed to be converting everyone into Jedi as would have waited to level them up. As it stands I've just returned to Dxun and Mira barely has any force powers because it took me a while to figure out you need to take her back to Nar Shaddaa to Jedi her up. Indeed, I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with Bao-Dur.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The thing I disliked about the sequel was that it revisited some of the locations from the first game, a bit too much in my opinion, which kind of felt a bit lazy. I would have liked some new locations instead. I mean, sure, the aftermath of Dantooine was neat, but we also got Korriban again. Replacing those with original locations like the others in the game, and I think the game would have had more going for it.
So far it hasn't bothered me so much. Dantooine was similar but noticeably different and the enclave's sublevel was a totally new area. The only direct level rip I've noticed so far is Korriban and that's a fairly brief level.

I will say though that the locations we do get as a little disappointing, especially compared to KotOR 1. While it's nice that the maps have terrain that isn't totally *flat* as it was in KotOR, there's just too many caves and metal corridors for my liking. I've yet to recapture the feeling I got when I first stepped out onto the Dune Sea. That "now *this* is what a Star Wars game should look like" feeling.

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
I've actually gotten my hands on a copy of KotOR 2 and have so far really enjoyed it. The intro level(s) was a bit on the dull side (though nor nearly as bad as Taris) but they managed to break it up a bit with the switching perspectives. However I wouldn't fancy doing that several times for multiple playthroughs mind, that'd be a hell of a slog.

Anyway, I think I'm about half way though having completed Nar Shaadda, (sp?) Danooine and have just gotten to the Mandalorian camp on Dxun.

I have noticed a number of weird bugs, even though I installed the "restored content" mod right from the off. Mostly minor stuff, though I think there's a fairly major on in that I can't seem to find the HK factory and the journal entry for the quest has vanished.
There's a mod to skip the intro, thankfully!

I don't know what the status of the mod is though, but when I was still up on it a year ago, they were doing frequent updates. Although it wouldn't surprise me if there are still some bugs in it.
Near as I can tell, I have the latest version (1.7) which is well over a year old.

P.S. I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but I have to say I *hate* The Disciple. I mean bloody hell, I used to think Kaiden and Carth were dull, but this guy makes dishwater look like a veritable kaleidoscope of colour!
I wonder if there's a way I could edit my save to replace him with the Handmaiden...she looks *far* more interesting.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 12:04 AM   #20
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Version 1.7 is indeed the latest for TSLRCM, but work on version 1.8 does continue.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 01:58 AM   #21
CorporalClegg
Admiral

P.S. I don't know how anyone else feels about this, but I have to say I *hate* The Disciple. I mean bloody hell, I used to think Kaiden and Carth were dull, but this guy makes dishwater look like a veritable kaleidoscope of colour!
I totally agree. I've always hated him.

Not only is he a total bore, but his story is totally irrelevant to anything whereas Handmaiden's is actually tied to one of the main sub-plots.

Not only that, his build design his a joke and is the worst possible combination. He's a total liability.

And this has now all be exacerbated since the hero has been canonized as a woman. So now you're supposed to use him.

In any case, yes, there is (or was) a mod you could install the made it so you'd always get Handmaiden. It was kind of buggy and I don't even know if you could still find it at his point.
Old May 18 2012, 05:57 AM   #22
Mr_Homn
Captain

I liked KOTOR a lot when it first came out, but ever since Mass Effect came out I lost interest. Plus for some reason KOTOR 2 bored me to hell and I stopped playing midway through the game when it first came out.

I'm also pretty sick of the star wars universe these days, and that's a big reason why too.
Old May 18 2012, 06:11 AM   #23
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I totally agree. I've always hated him.

Not only is he a total bore, but his story is totally irrelevant to anything whereas Handmaiden's is actually tied to one of the main sub-plots.

Not only that, his build design his a joke and is the worst possible combination. He's a total liability.
I remember when I first found him and realized that he was supposed to join my party, I hoped that I'd done something wrong and went back to... Telos? (can't remember the planet's name) to try and grab Handmaiden again. It was so frustrating to look at the party select screen and say "Well, I'm stuck with this guy"
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 07:44 AM   #24
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I will say though that the locations we do get as a little disappointing, especially compared to KotOR 1. While it's nice that the maps have terrain that isn't totally *flat* as it was in KotOR, there's just too many caves and metal corridors for my liking. I've yet to recapture the feeling I got when I first stepped out onto the Dune Sea. That "now *this* is what a Star Wars game should look like" feeling.

It's been so long since I've played it, but maybe I should give it a shot again now that the mod's released. I certainly don't remember the more varied terrain, but I think my favourite location was Dxun. It was one of the more unique locations in the game and felt like they'd put the most effort into that location.

Anyone got a link to the mod? I looked at the site for the Restoration project, but that hadn't been updated in forever the last time I looked.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 01:18 PM   #25
Reverend
Rear Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
In any case, yes, there is (or was) a mod you could install the made it so you'd always get Handmaiden. It was kind of buggy and I don't even know if you could still find it at his point.
I'll have to have a look around and see what I can find. I did spot one that I thought was right, but there was no description to speak of and a bunch of comments saying it didn't work. I wonder if it might be easier to just use a save editor?

Itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
I remember when I first found him and realized that he was supposed to join my party, I hoped that I'd done something wrong and went back to... Telos? (can't remember the planet's name) to try and grab Handmaiden again. It was so frustrating to look at the party select screen and say "Well, I'm stuck with this guy"
I had a similar experience. I kept wandering around the hidden academy talking to all the handmaidens, thinking I'd missed something. How hard could it be to mod I wonder? I don't recall any of the characters ever referring to the PC's gender and even if they did, I'd gladly accept the off pronoun slip in exchange for the Handmaiden.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
It's been so long since I've played it, but maybe I should give it a shot again now that the mod's released. I certainly don't remember the more varied terrain, but I think my favourite location was Dxun. It was one of the more unique locations in the game and felt like they'd put the most effort into that location.

Anyone got a link to the mod? I looked at the site for the Restoration project, but that hadn't been updated in forever the last time I looked.
This is probably where you want to go.
Old May 19 2012, 12:27 PM   #26
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

The gender of Disciple/Handmaiden matters insomuch as it ties into how they react to Atton/Visas later on. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to suggest that they were going for love triangles there and that, back then anyway, I don't think gay characters in Star Wars was a possibility.

I remember there was a mod to make Handmaiden recruitable for female PCs, but I figure that must break the Restoration mod.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old May 19 2012, 12:43 PM   #27
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

firehawk12 wrote: View Post
The gender of Disciple/Handmaiden matters insomuch as it ties into how they react to Atton/Visas later on. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to suggest that they were going for love triangles there and that, back then anyway, I don't think gay characters in Star Wars was a possibility.

I remember there was a mod to make Handmaiden recruitable for female PCs, but I figure that must break the Restoration mod.
Juhani, an optional character from the original game, was originally going to be lesbian but Lucasarts said "nuh-uh" IIRC.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2012, 03:26 PM   #28
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Juhani was a lesbian. She simply didn't have a "full" romance like Bastila or Carth.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2012, 06:56 PM   #29
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^There was still a semblance of it left. As in one or two lines of dialogue right after you chase a fallen Bastila off the Rakata temple roof. I may be wrong but I think a lot of her dialogue was cut. I noticed that in the scene on the Ebon Hawk, just after the revelation that you're really Revan, every companion chimes in with thair view on the matter...everyone except Juhan.

Speaking of in-game romance, is there any worth noting in KotOR 2? I'm playing as a female (obviously) and so far the only possible candidate I've noticed that would even make sense is that ex-Sith trooper/smuggler bloke. Though so far I haven noticed any romance dialogue options. I suppose the blind Sith girl (I forget her name) could be a possibility, but her dialogue tree just goes in circles and I think I've maxed out her approval already.

I don't think Mira is an option given her personality...that plus the fact that she's pretty much a fan service character already, anything else would be overkill. I mean a hot female Mandalorian bounty hunter turned Jedi?! Add bisexual and/or being a Twi'lek to that and the fanboys might just do themselves an injury.
Old May 23 2012, 01:42 AM   #30
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

Female gets Atton or Disciple (one of which is depicted in my avatar, which I guess I haven't changed in 6 years or whenever KoTOR2 was the new thing :lol).

Male gets Visas or Handmaiden.

And, there's a big hint of Juhani's relationship with another Jedi if you decide to go dark side and... not recruit her into your party. Another female Jedi confronts you about that decision.