Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Storming Heaven.
Outstanding 59 69.41%
Above Average 23 27.06%
Average 2 2.35%
Below Average 0 0%
Poor 1 1.18%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 28 2012, 12:29 AM   #166
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Re: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I do find it difficult to believe that David never confronted his mother as to who his father was.
Old April 28 2012, 11:26 AM   #167
beamMe
Fleet Captain

MatthiasRussell wrote: View Post
I do find it difficult to believe that David never confronted his mother as to who his father was.
As do I. But he obviously didn't know.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28 2012, 07:13 PM   #168
RPJOB
Commander

We didn't really get a feeling that Kirk & Carol were one of the great romances. It seemed to me that it was a more casual relationship that ended up with a surprise package. Maybe carol wanted a child and stopped using whatever future birth control she was on. She might have selected Kirk for the very reason that she knew he wouldn't do the "honorable thing" and try to marry her. His line "I did as you asked. I stayed away." makes it quite clear that it was Carol who didn't want Kirk around her son. She saw David as hers. It's possible that she simply saw Kirk as a friend who she chose to be the sperm donor.
RPJOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 03:08 AM   #169
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

Just finished it & loved it. I raise my glass of warnog!
Old April 30 2012, 03:39 AM   #170
Christopher
Writer

"Warnog." That always sounds to me as though it's like the Klingon version of eggnog, except you drink it during war rather than Christmas.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 04:43 PM   #171
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

Christopher wrote: View Post
"Warnog." That always sounds to me as though it's like the Klingon version of eggnog, except you drink it during war rather than Christmas.

It is a warrior's drink.

Like prune juice, chilled.

At least we know now why Worf mellowed when he discovered prune juice. He wasn't constipated any more.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2012, 08:58 PM   #172
Mike Winters
Lieutenant Commander

Ok, I just finished it, and all I can say is W O W!!!!. What a finish to this tale. Truly no-one in this story was safe except for those we already knew survived because they have already seen them in the future.

At some point we will get a listing of the dead (perhaps on your annotations if ever published)? I lost track of who was alive and dead by the end of the battle of the regular/recurring characters.

This novel ended and my first thought was, how long till the next one comes out... completely disregarding logic based on the outcome.

Well done Mr. Mack... Well done.
Mike Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 03:21 PM   #173
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I started reading Storming Heaven again and am picking up some points along the way that didn't occur to me the first time.

I found it interesting that the Wanderer roused her people to war by saying Starfleet has a terror weapon to use against them.

I noticed now that the Maker was left out in the depths of space so it wasn’t captured and destroyed. So we could have a Shedai in a later story.

Nogura mentions to Kirk that Carol Marcus and his son are on the station. How did he know? Was David the only one who didn’t know who his father was?

I don’t understand why T’Prynn won’t open up to Pennington about her emotional pain. Pennington is someone she became friends with over a long period of assisting one another whereas Spock, she barely knows at all.
Old May 17 2012, 03:51 PM   #174
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

I donít understand why TíPrynn wonít open up to Pennington about her emotional pain. Pennington is someone she became friends with over a long period of assisting one another whereas Spock, she barely knows at all.
Easy, Pennington is an emotional Human, Spock, although a half breed see's himself more as a Vulcan and T'Prynn would easily open herself top the latter and not the former.

I'm on twitter now. @DimesDaniel
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 04:17 PM   #175
Relayer1
Commodore

Wow.

Whilst I realise it was an achievement and an event I wasn't blown away by Destiny. This is on another level entirely.

The climax is one of the few times I have been genuinely excited by what I was reading. Well done David - it's one of the very best pieces of Treklit I have ever had the fortune to read, and I'm not usually fond of TOS era novels, or at least the standalones !

There's only one real drawback -I still want more.

As I've posted before, with the end of Vanguard there's a real opportunity to continue opening up TOS era in the same way that the 24th century has been. Give us another lose series of novels, follow the surviving Vanguard cast, TOS and 23rd C. SCE crew and show us younger versions of characters from the movies. Throw in some new ships and crews and a big plot arc or two and TOS era is suddenly interesting !

Don't let all the good work on Vanguard go to waste...
Old May 17 2012, 05:45 PM   #176
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
I donít understand why TíPrynn wonít open up to Pennington about her emotional pain. Pennington is someone she became friends with over a long period of assisting one another whereas Spock, she barely knows at all.
Easy, Pennington is an emotional Human, Spock, although a half breed see's himself more as a Vulcan and T'Prynn would easily open herself top the latter and not the former.
But she had developed a relationship with Pennington where they had learned to trust and possibly like one another. He was also coping with the violent loss of a loved one. I feel like she suddenly was acting like the old T'Prynn, which is odd after Pennington saved her life and she melded with him to relieve his phantom pain.
Old May 17 2012, 06:00 PM   #177
Relayer1
Commodore

What happened to Quinn ?
Old May 17 2012, 06:22 PM   #178
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
What happened to Quinn ?
He's gone out to Kennovere to live a fresh life under his new identity. Other than that, we don't know, and neither does anyone else. He's disappeared off the face of the galaxy, and we have to be content to let him.
Old May 17 2012, 06:28 PM   #179
Relayer1
Commodore

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
What happened to Quinn ?
He's gone out to Kennovere to live a fresh life under his new identity. Other than that, we don't know, and neither does anyone else. He's disappeared off the face of the galaxy, and we have to be content to let him.
Are we sure ? Could T'Prynn have taken him out ? I raced through the end of the book and may have missed something...
Old May 17 2012, 06:36 PM   #180
Christopher
Writer

Are we sure ? Could T'Prynn have taken him out ?
Nahh, she only goes out with girls.

The old T'Prynn would've assassinated him. The new T'Prynn chose to spare his life despite her orders.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote