Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 14 2012, 01:36 PM   #691
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
I did enjoy it, though, even though I figured out what happened pretty much from the get-go simply because it was the only logical thing, but I do hope the sequels are better paced, and are more like the pages 150-420 of this. If so, I'll love them.
I don't want to risk spoiling you, but FWIW, the sequels have a somewhat different feel to them. The first book plays a bit more like a typical mystery procedural, with our heroes getting involved in a murder case; the second and third books have elements of that as well, but are overall more concerned with the main character's own affairs and backgrounds (though those lead into a plot of significant scale). They're also essentially a two-parter.

I'd say it's worth checking them out just to get a feel for how different they are from the first book. I'm not sure they completely succeed overall, but they're definitely more ambitious, and do have a fair share of colorful scenes.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 04:10 PM   #692
Lonemagpie
Writer

^ I've had the whole trilogy for a while, so I'll read the other two at some point. Not sure what I'm in the mood for next - tried to start Coming Of The Terraphiles and couldn't get into it, which means I'm probably in the mood for something non-SF/F still...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:38 PM   #693
JD
Admiral

I finished the fifthth ST:TOS Mere Anarchy novella, The Blood-Dimmed Tide last night. I really enjoyed this one, it was pretty much a stop the bad guy with the super weapon story, but I thought it was very well written. The bad guy was very interesting, and the characterizations for the regulars was outstanding. My Rating: 9/10
Old May 16 2012, 01:03 AM   #694
Endgame
Lieutenant Commander

I finished reading "Resistance" by J. M. Dillard and am now just over halfway through "Taking Wing" (Titan 01) by Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels. I guess I may have to settle for oftentimes reading books out of order of the chronology. It allows for interesting inferences of meaning beyond the merely chronological.
Endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 01:23 AM   #695
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm reading Q&A, next I'll be reading Forgotten History.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 04:49 AM   #696
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Finished Doctor Who: The Edge of Destruction yesterday and today I'm on Doctor Who And The Crusaders. And to cap it off the audiobook I ordered of The Daleks' Master Plan (both parts) arrived in the mail today.

I'm thinking of picking up the recent Eleventh Doctor novel The Silent Stars Go By. Has anyone here read it? It sounds like it's worth a purchase.

EDIT: Actually, I'm worried I might suffer DW burnout if I go on like this, so I think I'm going to space out my reading a little bit more and start The Crusaders later. I have some comics I picked up from the library so I can check out some of them in the meantime.

Last edited by S. Gomez; May 16 2012 at 05:26 AM.
S. Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 05:00 AM   #697
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

Just finished Reefer Madness by Eric Schlosser, moving on to The Wal-Mart Effect.
DS9 CapCon #98: Hell to the Chief!
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 04:27 PM   #698
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Finished Worlds of DS9: Andor: Paradigm last night. Enjoyed it, but something about it felt off until the very end. Perhaps too much padding up front in the story? Not sure.

Now I'm onto to A Time to Sow, which started out pretty well. Wasn't expecting an Enterprise flashback! Though I will say, I've noticed an overabundance of characters tightening their jaws in only 70 pages!
Old May 16 2012, 08:52 PM   #699
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I just picked up the Dominon War anthology from the library. I'm mainly interested in the Shinzon and Zak Kebron stories. I probably won't read every story.
Old May 17 2012, 01:07 AM   #700
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Supernatural: Night Terror last night. I really enjoyed it and had a hard time putting it down.
I think this is the best Supernatural novel since Titan Books got the publishing license, narrowly beating KRAD's Heart of the Dragon, and Christa Faust's Coyote's Kiss. I liked the author's style a lot better than those that wrote The Unholy Cause, War of the Sons, and especially One Year Gone. I'm not sure if I like it as much as the first three Supernatural novels published by Harper Collins, Nevermore by KRAD, Witch's Canyon by Jeff Mariotte, and Bone Key by KRAD (anything he write's is good), but it's very close. I was somewhat worried about the quality of Supernatural novels when the three after Heart of the Dragon weren't very good. But then Coyote's Kiss was better, and Night Terror is great, so I'm looking forward to any future novels and hoping they're as good as if not better than Night Terror.
That was a little longer than I intended, but if you're a fan of the series, definitely check this novel out, it's a great read.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Vanguard: Storming Heaven.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 07:21 AM   #701
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

^ Overall I liked all of Keith's Supernatural novels, but the others I have read where somewhat inferior (still average to decent though). I still haven't read the last three novels, although I bought them when they came out.

(BTW If you're interested you can find my reviews of those I have read here, as well as links to my interviews with Joe Schreiber and Keith where they talked about The Unholy Cause and Heart of the Dragon respectively.)

Cap'n Crunch wrote: View Post
so I'm looking forward to any future novels and hoping they're as good as if not better than Night Terror.
There are two Supernatural novels in the pipeline at the moment:

Rite of Passage by John Passarella in August and Fresh Meat by Alice Henderson in November.
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2012, 02:33 PM   #702
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG

Finished the secnd John Verdon novel Shut Your Eyes Tight yesterday. It was even better than the firt one!

Starting The Rings of Time (The Verdon novel delayed my starting this newest Greg Cox novel )
Old May 17 2012, 04:12 PM   #703
Lonemagpie
Writer

In the mood for some Trek, I embarked on the Q Continuum trilogy, by some guy who hangs around here...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com

Last edited by Lonemagpie; May 17 2012 at 08:10 PM.
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 02:04 AM   #704
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I finished Q&A. Its definately my least favorite Q book. I'm a huge Q fan, but I just didn't like it. Compared to the excellent Q-Continuum Trilogy by Greg Cox, Q&A is very mediocre. There were a few interesting things, but overall it wasn't very good.

Now, on to Forgotten History. I loved the last Star Trek - DTI book, so I'm hoping this is good.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2012, 04:41 AM   #705
Snaploud
Admiral

I recently read Triggers and The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Invincible along with book six of Enteprises of Great Pitch and Moment.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote