TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 16 2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"Space Command"

Okay, so here's an interesting, apparently "micro-budget" film series that's starting up:

Space Command

SPACE COMMAND will be a series of new and original feature films by STAR TREK writer Marc Zicree, GALACTICA FX whiz Doug Drexler, director Neil Johnson and other Sci-Fi luminaries.

Inspired by classic science fiction TV & Film of the 1950s, this dream team is set to bring to life “Bold Adventures in the Far Reaches of Space.”

Beginning May 16th, the filmmakers will bypass the Studios and Networks, going straight to the fans for funding to greenlight their project.

Marc Scott Zicree has written for virtually every major network and studio, with hundreds of hours of produced credits including Star Trek – The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5 and Sliders, and bestsellers including The Twilight Zone Companion and Magic Time trilogy of novels. He has been nominated for the American Book Award, Hugo Award, Nebula Award, Humanitas Prize and Diane Thomas A ward, and won the Saturn A ward, TV Guide A ward, Rondo Award and prestigious Hamptons Prize.

Doug Drexler is an Oscar and Emmy award winner. His credits include Star Trek -- The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise, four Star Trek feature films, Battlestar Galactica, and currently Defiance. He has also won the British Academy Award, a Saturn Award, a Visual Effects Society Award and is also a Peabody Award recipient.

Neil Johnson’s credits include 8 Sci-Fi films including Alien Armageddon, Battlespace and Humanity's End. He has directed over 500 music videos for such bands as U2 and Manowar. Neil's feature film debut in 1997 is reputed to be the first digital film ever made.
It'll be interesting to see how this progresses. Everyone involved are professionals with long experience in the business.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 03:46 PM   #2
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: "Space Command"

So is this going to be a movie series or a tv series?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

They appear to be presenting it as a series of four movies. Given their budget range they're probably not aiming at wide theatrical distribution but whether they're looking at cable, VOD or something else isn't clear.

Hopefully they're planning to release more information about the show's premise, characters and setting over the several months of their Kickstarter campaign.
Old May 16 2012, 03:56 PM   #4
Pingfah
Admiral

Looks interesting, I think we'll be seeing a lot more of this sort of thing in the next few years.

Dennis, if you haven't already seen it, there's a crowd funded sci-fi show called L5. They only managed one episode so far, and the production values are pretty spiffy. I'd say there must be some very experienced professionals involved.

Here's a trailer:

Old May 16 2012, 04:07 PM   #5
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

That is pretty impressive. Thanks.
Old May 16 2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Tom
Rear Admiral

Looks good! In 2010 when I invited Marc and Doug and several others to Hollywood Xpo, I know Marc was talking to Doug extensivly about some new project he wanted to do, I wonder if this was it.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 04:55 PM   #7
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

This thread gives me grins.

Old May 16 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Another "retro-series" when sci fi should be breaking new ground...oh well, I do like the WAY its being produced though. Hell, if the studios produce 90% crap, we'll make our own stuff!!

RAMA
Old May 16 2012, 05:11 PM   #9
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Television and movie sci fi has never broken "new ground" thematically or in terms of ideas - period. It lags prose sf by twenty to thirty years at best (even 2001 was based on adapting ideas that Clarke had been writing about for a generation), and even then is limited to genres of storytelling that have mass appeal.
Old May 16 2012, 05:28 PM   #10
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Television and movie sci fi has never broken "new ground" thematically or in terms of ideas - period. It lags prose sf by twenty to thirty years at best (even 2001 was based on adapting ideas that Clarke had been writing about for a generation), and even then is limited to genres of storytelling that have mass appeal.
I believe I said just this in the Future of ST thread a week ago, however for our definition, we'll have to use SF that breaks ground in terms of the screen...a handful of such movies exist: 2001, Blade Runner, The Matrix series, Inception, Star Wars, Avatar, District 9...

On TV both TOS and STNG broke ground on many levels, adapting what worked in SF literature or science for the previous 20-25 years for modern audiences. Lost changed the face of SF/genre TV for years to come. Heroes was as good as any superhero movie for it's first season. Max Headroom was years ahead of it's time.

What I'd like to see is NEW SF that explores speculation on what's happening in the next 30 years...running out of food, virus outbreaks, or natural disaster movies are pretty lacking these days, they take the easy way out by going extreme and don't take the brave road to explore worlds where possibilites lead in other directions. While Space Command could be fun, it's somewhat disheartening seeing a 50s era rocket with 21st century FX.

RAMA
Old May 16 2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ 2001 was based on Arthur C. CLarke's novel, Blade Runner was based on a Philip K Dick story, The Matrix borrowed heavily from cyberpunk and Grant Morrison, Star Wars was influenced by 1930s cliffhanger serials and Joseph Campbell's writings on the power of myth, Avatar had much the same story as Dances With Wolves or A Man Called Horse. The likes of Dreamscape covered similar ground to Inception.

What made all of the movies you name classics (and I accept that they all were/ are) was the execution, not the concept. As yet, we know nothing about how Space Command will be executed. It could be taking an old idea and putting a whole new spin on it.
Old May 16 2012, 07:29 PM   #12
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ 2001 was based on Arthur C. CLarke's novel,
People keep getting this wrong.

2001 was not based on Clarke's novel. Clarke wrote the novelization of Stanley Kubricks's movie, while the movie was being produced. They collaborated certainly, but Clarke contributed material to an initial idea by Kubrick.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Kegg
Rear Admiral

What little is shown looks nice. Never really stuck through one of the Star Trek fan films, but given space opera's niche audience a low budget high concept may be the way to go.

As far as 'the influence of lit SF' goes, one thing that was nice about TOS is that it did have a fair number of contemporary sci-fi writers submit scripts, often resulting in the best episodes of the series, like Theodore Sturgeon's "Amok Time" and Norman Spinrad's "The Doomsday Machine", and, of course, Harlan Ellison's "The City on the Edge of Forever" (even with the caveats about revisions, etc.)

The one thing I liked about JMS' Star Trek reboot is he wanted to try and bring that back, which is admirable in theory even if in practice I wondered if he'd actually have got Kurt Vonnegut to return his calls.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

2001 was not based on Clarke's novel. Clarke wrote the novelization of Stanley Kubricks's movie, while the movie was being produced. They collaborated certainly, but Clarke contributed material to an initial idea by Kubrick.
2001 was actually based on around five Arthur C. Clark short stories, chiefly "The Sentinel" (which contributes basically to the Moon Monolith segment of the film). Another story whose name escapes me was used partly for the Discovery subplot (and loosely for the design), while the remaining three had a pretty minimal impact on the film.

Last edited by Kegg; May 16 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 08:38 PM   #14
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Avatar had much the same story as Dances With Wolves or A Man Called Horse.
The story is actually much, much older than the existence of movies.
Old May 16 2012, 08:39 PM   #15
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral2 wrote: View Post

This is true, but my original point was that 2001 was based on ideas and premises that Clarke had written about for decades - the original versions of Childhood's End and Against The Fall Of Night are just two examples. The essential notions actually go back at least to Stapledon.