Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 15 2012, 02:01 PM   #31
xortex
Commodore

Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 02:35 PM   #32
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Personally, I like to get all my predictions of the future from people who see the Jedi as the villains of SW and think Yoda's a Sith.

It's more fun that way.
Old May 15 2012, 11:03 PM   #33
sojourner
Admiral

xortex wrote: View Post
You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.
You're a poor imitation of Think.
Old May 15 2012, 11:23 PM   #34
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Well since men created God(s) as well, then he must be evil too.
Old May 15 2012, 11:27 PM   #35
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

sojourner wrote: View Post
Science is not a religion.
Correct... science proves things.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:33 PM   #36
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
Correct... science proves things.

Science is the way we try to prove things.

RAMA
Old May 15 2012, 11:55 PM   #37
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Exactly

Human beings have a funny way of couching things in religious, "spiritual" terms to describe things....therefore you see people describing something difficult to comprehend, like the Singluarity and it's implications in such terms, which doesn't mean that it is spiritual. Sometimes words just aren't adequate...which strangely enough leads me to more Brin thoughts on the subject: http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/brin20110629 And an introduction to the whole topic he wrote: http://lifeboat.com/ex/singularities.and.nightmares

As well as a story he brashly sets AFTER the singularity: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056A23TA/...ag=contbrin-20

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; May 16 2012 at 01:24 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 12:09 AM   #38
xortex
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post

Why do you say that man is evil? Most people say he's innately good, except only nobody knows what good is or God for that matter. Is he just mr. go do, go make? Telepathy would be bad enough but could you imagine a world where people's mind's became reality. That was the basis for Micheal Chriton's novel 'Sphere' though he referred to it as the power but it was an unconscious power rising to the surface quite literally. The next step in our evolution - transcendance.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 01:31 AM   #39
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

Why do you say that man is evil? Most people say he's innately good, except only nobody knows what good is or God for that matter. Is he just mr. go do, go make? Telepathy would be bad enough but could you imagine a world where people's mind's became reality. That was the basis for Micheal Chriton's novel 'Sphere' though he referred to it as the power but it was an unconscious power rising to the surface quite literally. The next step in our evolution - transcendance.
I don't think man is inherently evil, religion has a tendency to look at things in absolutes, which I normally do not. Human beings have an equal capacity to do what society considers good or evil, modified by brain chemistry, usually by environment, and very often by opportunity.

Well Chrichton was always a bit of an alarmist, but always something to think about.
Old May 20 2012, 07:01 PM   #40
RAMA
Vice Admiral

^You're missing the point. The singularity is about as certain as the rapture. In other words, it's not. There is no guarantee that technology will advance at an accelerated rate especially in all areas. You need to temper your optimism with some realism. Things don't always work out.
Here's one of the big articles that popularized the Singularity, there's some good basic explanation of S curves and so on. It's a real layman's article.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8299-3,00.html
Old May 20 2012, 07:35 PM   #41
sojourner
Admiral

^And a real puff piece.
Old May 20 2012, 07:53 PM   #42
Lonemagpie
Writer

stj wrote: View Post
(MacLeod is an English writer [he says he's Scottish but there's no difference visible in his work from this side of the Atlantic]
The difference will be visible when you call a Scot English to his face- visible in the form of an oncoming fist, usually!

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 09:32 PM   #43
RAMA
Vice Admiral

^And a real puff piece.
Its not very rigorous, don't expect it to be, it's a short article in Time. However, it can make a good entry point for the meme after all it's likely to be one of the two most important events in human history.

RAMA
Old May 20 2012, 09:42 PM   #44
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Existence comes out on June 19th right before my birthday, I've reserved my copy.

Yes...I still buy real books even though I have an e-book reader.

RAMA
Old May 20 2012, 09:42 PM   #45
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, well, when it's history and fact come talk to me about it. Until then it's as likely as the Rapture, which you can also come talk to me about when it's history and fact.