RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,413
Posts: 5,506,264
Members: 25,128
Currently online: 499
Newest member: Deidesheim

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15 2012, 02:01 PM   #31
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 02:35 PM   #32
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Rhovanion
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

Personally, I like to get all my predictions of the future from people who see the Jedi as the villains of SW and think Yoda's a Sith.

It's more fun that way.
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:03 PM   #33
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

xortex wrote: View Post
You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.
You're a poor imitation of Think.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:23 PM   #34
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

xortex wrote: View Post
You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.

Well since men created God(s) as well, then he must be evil too.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:27 PM   #35
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral
 
Santa Klaus's Avatar
 
Location: Klaus - Beach condo, Bay of Eldamar
View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

sojourner wrote: View Post
Science is not a religion.
Correct... science proves things.
__________________
"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it." - Mark Twain
t-shirts!
deviantArt
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:33 PM   #36
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

Klaus wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Science is not a religion.
Correct... science proves things.

Science is the way we try to prove things.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 11:55 PM   #37
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

sojourner wrote: View Post
Science is not a religion.
Exactly

Human beings have a funny way of couching things in religious, "spiritual" terms to describe things....therefore you see people describing something difficult to comprehend, like the Singluarity and it's implications in such terms, which doesn't mean that it is spiritual. Sometimes words just aren't adequate...which strangely enough leads me to more Brin thoughts on the subject: http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/brin20110629 And an introduction to the whole topic he wrote: http://lifeboat.com/ex/singularities.and.nightmares

As well as a story he brashly sets AFTER the singularity: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0056A23TA/...ag=contbrin-20

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan

Last edited by RAMA; May 16 2012 at 01:24 AM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 12:09 AM   #38
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

RAMA wrote: View Post
xortex wrote: View Post
You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.

Well since men created God(s) as well, then he must be evil too.

Why do you say that man is evil? Most people say he's innately good, except only nobody knows what good is or God for that matter. Is he just mr. go do, go make? Telepathy would be bad enough but could you imagine a world where people's mind's became reality. That was the basis for Micheal Chriton's novel 'Sphere' though he referred to it as the power but it was an unconscious power rising to the surface quite literally. The next step in our evolution - transcendance.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2012, 01:31 AM   #39
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

xortex wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
xortex wrote: View Post
You can't tell that to the devil I would imagine which is what all this science is ultimately creating - an evil God. Hence the expression the world is going to Hell. The Bible says clearly that everything is evil and controlled by the Devil so his win is our loss.

Well since men created God(s) as well, then he must be evil too.

Why do you say that man is evil? Most people say he's innately good, except only nobody knows what good is or God for that matter. Is he just mr. go do, go make? Telepathy would be bad enough but could you imagine a world where people's mind's became reality. That was the basis for Micheal Chriton's novel 'Sphere' though he referred to it as the power but it was an unconscious power rising to the surface quite literally. The next step in our evolution - transcendance.
I don't think man is inherently evil, religion has a tendency to look at things in absolutes, which I normally do not. Human beings have an equal capacity to do what society considers good or evil, modified by brain chemistry, usually by environment, and very often by opportunity.

Well Chrichton was always a bit of an alarmist, but always something to think about.
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:01 PM   #40
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

sojourner wrote: View Post
^You're missing the point. The singularity is about as certain as the rapture. In other words, it's not. There is no guarantee that technology will advance at an accelerated rate especially in all areas. You need to temper your optimism with some realism. Things don't always work out.
Here's one of the big articles that popularized the Singularity, there's some good basic explanation of S curves and so on. It's a real layman's article.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...8299-3,00.html
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:35 PM   #41
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

^And a real puff piece.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 07:53 PM   #42
Lonemagpie
Writer
 
Lonemagpie's Avatar
 
Location: Yorkshire
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

stj wrote: View Post
(MacLeod is an English writer [he says he's Scottish but there's no difference visible in his work from this side of the Atlantic]
The difference will be visible when you call a Scot English to his face- visible in the form of an oncoming fist, usually!
__________________
"I got two modes with people- Bite, and Avoid"
Reading: ()

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 09:32 PM   #43
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

sojourner wrote: View Post
^And a real puff piece.
Its not very rigorous, don't expect it to be, it's a short article in Time. However, it can make a good entry point for the meme after all it's likely to be one of the two most important events in human history.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 09:42 PM   #44
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

Existence comes out on June 19th right before my birthday, I've reserved my copy.

Yes...I still buy real books even though I have an e-book reader.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2012, 09:42 PM   #45
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

Yeah, well, when it's history and fact come talk to me about it. Until then it's as likely as the Rapture, which you can also come talk to me about when it's history and fact.
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.