Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 8 2012, 04:00 PM   #4156
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Didn't care much for the "Hellspont" issues of Superman, though I somewhat enjoy the portrayal of Clark and his difficulty dealing with the people in his life. I like that his cluelessness seems less of a pose and more a part of his actual personality - can't be all that easy living two lives; he gets distracted and confused.

Supposedly Lobdell is replacing Jurgens/Giffen, which probably is a good thing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 05:23 PM   #4157
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

There has been like 11 writers for the 2 Superman books just in the past 3 years. There is a dysfunction at the editorial level that needs to be fixed here.

Last edited by Hound of UIster; May 8 2012 at 06:02 PM.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 05:50 PM   #4158
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

It's not the 70s.

Writers/artists don't just write their stories around the trade, but they're hired for the trade. you don't think they sign up for 6 month contracts with an option to renew?

I wouldn't be surprised if the editors have a colour coded huge list of all the 6 month blocks writers and artists have agreed, or been forced into on all the available titles for the next three years...

Holy shit.

Editors trade and hustle over creative teams like they were baseball cards or slaves.

Like an open meat market or a discerning eye in a brothel.

You know who I blame for this?

Claefuckingmont.

Stupid fuck would not leave uncanny.

22 years and change.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 07:35 PM   #4159
Snaploud
Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Snaploud wrote: View Post
The only way they could have been more blatant is by changing the S symbol to a big "O."
There was already a black Superman pre-Crisis. The only difference is he is also the president, which we have had several variations.
I'm more referring to the several references to President Dreamie solving all of Obama's current/recent problems (budget crises, Libya, Iran/Qurac) with a State Department representative who looks like a dead ringer for Hillary Clinton. Regardless, we'll just have to agree to disagree regarding how blatant it was...

It didn't get really terrible until the end where all the supposedly powerful people decide to give President Dreamie a chance to talk to Iran...given that he's basically solved all their other problems and has sky-high approval ratings.
Holy cow, you do realize the "end" part was 1) a different story altogether and not continuation of the first and 2) those powerful people were his National Security Team.
You're playing semantics. 1) I was talking about Action Comics #9 as a whole, and both story-lines involved the same character. The "end" referred to the end of the book. 2) I referred to them as supposedly powerful people because their roles were only hinted at (a member of the CIA, a general, and a white house spokesman). Call them whatever you want, but the back and forth over giving the president a "chance" to talk to Qurac/Iran had me rolling my eyes.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2012, 07:40 PM   #4160
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Debating the president's course of action (ha) would be their jobs, though.

Tomorrow:

DC Universe Presents 9 (Vandal Savage, and hopefully some clues that Scandal is still or around or is Kass); Wonder Woman 9; Justice League 9 (I liked the last issue, although apparently I'm alone in this); Red Hood and the Outlaws 9; Frankenstein 8.

Apparently I have my weeks messed up. Tomorrow: Frankenstein 8 and 9; Demon Knights 9.

Last edited by Derishton; May 9 2012 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Edited because I can
Derishton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2012, 02:45 PM   #4161
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Demon Knights 9 is probably the most interesting (and perhaps least funny) issue yet, with a real sense that things are coming together. And not just between this book and Stormwatch (although I think there are some big clues here on that front): anyone interested in the new contacts between the old Vertigo-verse (particularly Sandman and one of its spin-offs) might want to read this issue.

The last two Frankenstein issues were also good, with 9 crossing over with Animal Man. The art, particularly the lay-outs, continue to impress me.
Old May 10 2012, 02:59 PM   #4162
the G-man
Commodore

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
There has been like 11 writers for the 2 Superman books just in the past 3 years. There is a dysfunction at the editorial level that needs to be fixed here.
George Perez, Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen, Scott Lodbell...the "new" Superman seems a lot like a book from the 90s or even 80s at this point. At this rate, the "new DC"'s next bold move will be to hire Elliot S! Maggin or Marty Pasko.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 11:26 PM   #4163
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Bleeding Cool is reporting Justice League International is being cancelled at issue 12.

I haven't been reading it, first issue didn't do much for me, but it was selling better than other titles that aren't being cancelled. So, probably just a different creative direction.
Old May 14 2012, 11:34 PM   #4164
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Bleeding Cool is reporting Justice League International is being cancelled at issue 12.

I haven't been reading it, first issue didn't do much for me, but it was selling better than other titles that aren't being cancelled. So, probably just a different creative direction.
I bit surprised at this. That and it's getting cancelled in a vaccuum it seems. I liked this one line quote.
An interesting decision as it outsells the like of Suicide Squad, Superboy, Birds Of Power, Green Arrow and more.
I've not been getting Birds of Power myself, how's that book doing?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 02:12 AM   #4165
Mr Light
Admiral

That's strange, because JLI has been a much more coherent team book than "Justice League" has been, with pretty good art to boot. I still can't believe how disappointing "Justice League" turned out to be

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 03:11 AM   #4166
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

JLI just really doesnt click for me. Cant say I will be sad to see it go. Didnt like all the Batman in it and felt it should have stood more on its own and away from him. The title really felt more like Batman and the Outsiders than a Justice League book. Even Justice League Dark feels more Leaguey.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 04:35 AM   #4167
theenglish
Rear Admiral

So, what will the JLI replacement series be? Booster Gold maybe? Will members of the JLI move into the Justice League book? Here we are, almost a year in and JL hasn't even had a decent character arc yet. JLI, at least, had character development.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 05:08 AM   #4168
Caretaker
Commodore

View Caretaker's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Caretaker Send a message via AIM to Caretaker

I got a letter from DC Comics today. Legion of Super Heroes issue 11 is the last one available via subscription from DC; further issues (issue 12 and onward) will only be available by going to my local comic shop. For the last two issues of my subscription, I can get a refund or they will automatically switch my subscription over to Superman.

Anyone else get this letter? I can only imagine what prompted this.
Caretaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 12:41 PM   #4169
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
So, what will the JLI replacement series be? Booster Gold maybe? Will members of the JLI move into the Justice League book? Here we are, almost a year in and JL hasn't even had a decent character arc yet. JLI, at least, had character development.
There is some speculation that it's going to be some sort of black ops type Justice League possibly a Justice League Elite with J'onn leaving.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2012, 01:14 PM   #4170
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I tried JLI for a few issues, but the "character development" seemed to fall into three categories: Booster Gold evolving to roughly where he already evolved in the old DC; "girl characters" sometimes saying things but mostly getting knocked unconscious; and death.