Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 14 2012, 02:06 AM   #871
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

Timby wrote: View Post
(there's a reason the ads have been playing up that Scott is the director of Blade Runner and Gladiator, not Alien)
Because Blade Runner isn't a sci-fi film?

And don't you think the ads are playing up Alien in ways other than showing the word "Alien" on the screen?
Old May 14 2012, 07:53 PM   #872
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Set Harth wrote: View Post
(there's a reason the ads have been playing up that Scott is the director of Blade Runner and Gladiator, not Alien)
Because Blade Runner isn't a sci-fi film?
Blade Runner doesn't have the stigma of the last three entries in the franchise being God-awful. Fox was very deliberate to avoid any sort of direct link to Alien outside of promotions over the last couple of months, and for good reason -- by positioning Prometheus as its own thing, the studio was able to start the build and avoid people saying, "Oh, fuck, another one? Weren't the two Alien vs. Predator movies bad enough?"

And don't you think the ads are playing up Alien in ways other than showing the word "Alien" on the screen?
There's been a definite slow burn; now that they're mimicking the original Alien trailer (and using that siren), the connection is becoming a little more clear-cut.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 08:01 PM   #873
nvek86
Commander

The first clip of the film has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bTz4FURAk

It doesn't show much (and I actually have the feeling that they cut something from the middle), but it looks very good.
Old May 14 2012, 09:15 PM   #874
Tom Servo
Commodore

nvek86 wrote: View Post
The first clip of the film has been released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5bTz4FURAk

It doesn't show much (and I actually have the feeling that they cut something from the middle), but it looks very good.
Ya, something was cut out of the middle there. Janek jumps all over the bridge with the way it was cut now, plus it seems way too short.

This movie is going to be awesome.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 09:27 PM   #875
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
There are bits and pieces that I'm not thrilled with so far, largely some very specific aspects of the design (and I wish the trailers hadn't gotten so spoileriffic over the last couple of months). Specifically, I'm not crazy about the suits, but they do have a definite lineage from the Alien ones, particularly when looking at the shoulder pauldrons. The bigger issue for me is the color palette of the inside of the Prometheus itself, which still feels overly bright.

In any event, I'm still ridiculously excited. That being said, Ridley Scott has always been a better designer than director. At least half of Blade Runner is him playing with his own toys, yet it somehow works because they're fucking amazing toys, so I'll wait till the film is out to judge the look, since Scott usually knows what he wants and he tends to be right more often than not. (Also, science fiction brings out his artistic side like there's no tomorrow, and he's insanely controlling of his art departments.)
Old May 14 2012, 09:33 PM   #876
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hmm, I know it's heavily edited, but at the moment it kinda feels more like an Avatar sequel than something from the quiet and eerie Alien universe.

Hopefully the actual movie will be a bit slower and more atmospheric...
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 09:39 PM   #877
Tom Servo
Commodore

There are bits and pieces that I'm not thrilled with so far, largely some very specific aspects of the design (and I wish the trailers hadn't gotten so spoileriffic over the last couple of months). Specifically, I'm not crazy about the suits, but they do have a definite lineage from the Alien ones, particularly when looking at the shoulder pauldrons. The bigger issue for me is the color palette of the inside of the Prometheus itself, which still feels overly bright.

In any event, I'm still ridiculously excited. That being said, Ridley Scott has always been a better designer than director. At least half of Blade Runner is him playing with his own toys, yet it somehow works because they're fucking amazing toys, so I'll wait till the film is out to judge the look, since Scott usually knows what he wants and he tends to be right more often than not. (Also, science fiction brings out his artistic side like there's no tomorrow, and he's insanely controlling of his art departments.)
While I do see the issue people have brought up with the overly "bright" art direction, I see the explanation as twofold. First, despite the fact that this takes place before Alien, the Nostromo was essentially a space tractor-trailer, and I think the clunky suits and the dark industrial interior of that ship is a reminder of that fact. These guys were the working class, and wouldn't have top of the line...well anything. The Prometheus meanwhile is a state of the art research ship, so it would make sense that it would have sophisticated new technology and accessories.

IIRC Scott himself directly addressed the issue with the design in an interview, and stated that he thought the whole "used future" had been overdone since the time he made "Alien" and that he wanted to go in a different direction.

One thing to remember as well, is that Scott stated early on in the filmmaking process, that he had to over light the sets, since the 3D cameras needed more light then the cameras he used on Alien. IIRC he said that they would be doing some lighting changes with CG in post production. How much of that work has been represented in the trailers I do not know, but it's something to look out for.

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 09:42 PM   #878
MacLeod
Admiral

Well the BBFC has given it a 15 rating, the other 'Alien' I think all got 18 ratings. Running time 123m 36s.

So is this the cut the same as the US 'R' version or is it an international cut.

Though the version submitted to the BBFc passed with no cuts.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/CFF286710/
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 09:43 PM   #879
MacLeod
Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Hmm, I know it's heavily edited, but at the moment it kinda feels more like an Avatar sequel than something from the quiet and eerie Alien universe.

Quiet and errie as in "Aliens" with it's fire fights?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old May 14 2012, 09:44 PM   #880
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

There's definitely some influence from Avatar -- the sickbay feels like a poor man's take on that design, and on other sets, the neon paneling and the hazard tape being fucking everywhere is really hurting the look for me. Subtlety is key, and it's kind of being lost in some sort of strive for so-called realism. In Alien, the Nostromo and its design and direction conveys just as much narrative, context and subtext as does the rampage of the penis rape machine alien savaging the crew.
Old May 14 2012, 10:20 PM   #881
davejames
Vice Admiral

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Yeah but that movie still did a great job establishing up front that this was the same eerie, atmospheric planet as before. Which is why everything that came after was so damn effective.

Plus, being that this is Ridley I was naturally hoping for a tone closer to the first movie anyway.
Old May 14 2012, 10:25 PM   #882
davejames
Vice Admiral

I don't really have a problem with the art design or brightness level. I just want it to move and feel more like the original Alien than a typical, flashy, scifi/horror flick.
Old May 14 2012, 10:27 PM   #883
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

MacLeod wrote: View Post

Yeah but that movie still did a great job establishing up front that this was the same eerie, atmospheric planet as before. Which is why everything that came after was so damn effective.

Plus, being that this is Ridley I was naturally hoping for a tone closer to the first movie anyway.
Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof have said that they're adhering to the continuity of Aliens, in which it was established that the planet shown in Alien was LV-426. I believe the planet in Prometheus has already been designated LV-423. The derelict from Alien is not the same ship as the one in Prometheus.
Old May 14 2012, 10:33 PM   #884
MacLeod
Admiral

nitpick, LV-426 (Acheron) is actually a moon, one of at least three orbiting a ring world. So perhaps LV-423 is one of the other moons, as it also appears to be orbiting a ringed planet.
Old May 14 2012, 10:59 PM   #885
davejames
Vice Admiral

Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof have said that they're adhering to the continuity of Aliens, in which it was established that the planet shown in Alien was LV-426. I believe the planet in Prometheus has already been designated LV-423. The derelict from Alien is not the same ship as the one in Prometheus.
I realize it's a different planet, but I would still hope the mood and tone of the movie would be the same, considering it's still the same Alien universe.