Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How do you grade The Avengers?
A+ 149 46.42%
A 102 31.78%
A- 30 9.35%
B+ 17 5.30%
B 11 3.43%
B- 5 1.56%
C+ 0 0%
C 4 1.25%
C- 1 0.31%
D+ 1 0.31%
D 0 0%
D- 0 0%
F 1 0.31%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2012, 03:52 AM   #931
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

So I was thinking about the "blow up the mothership, all of the secondary ships and aliens die" trope the movie played out and came to maybe a reasonable conclusion.

The Chitauri forces appeared to be biological when they removed their masks and such but they all dropped like robotic drones when Iron Man blew up the mothership. I think maybe it's possible the alien drones/soldiers could have been equipped with a "kill switch" that executes them should contact with the mothership be lost as a way to either deter rogue soldiers or to prevent potentially captured soldiers from being a liability.
Old May 14 2012, 05:50 AM   #932
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Because he's already rich and he likes putting on pale face and weird wigs?
Yeah, pretty much. He also has no reason to feel pressured to take any role and can pretty much take something because he thinks he'll enjoy it.
Old May 14 2012, 06:36 AM   #933
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

That was my main gripe. The neat and tidy ending similar to "The Phantom Menace"

It's like they couldn't come up with a good solution to end the battle/movie

"Oh they all just shut down and then proceed to cuff Loki. The End"

Having left over Chitauri running around the earth would have been intriguing.

It would have made for a nice excuse in "Iron Man 3" since Tony is supposedly all on his own.

Fury- Captain America and Hawkeye are on assignment searching for Chitauri stragglers

There was also a plot hole with the waitress that recognized Steve Rogers in the middle of the New York battle.

There's going to be 30 minutes of deleted scenes added to the blu ray release

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 07:11 AM   #934
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, I wondered about the woman's reaction when he got unmasked.
Old May 14 2012, 07:21 AM   #935
CorporalClegg
Admiral

I just got back from finally seeing it.

I went to the latest show on a Sunday hoping for a smaller crowd. There wasn't an empty seat.

Luckily my brother bought the tickets this morning. They were turning people away almost a half hour before the show started.

The film was fucking amazing and easily the best popcorn flick I've ever seen.

The best scene was the long single shot that showed everyone in action. Joss loves those extended uncut shots, so I was expecting it, but it still really immersing non the less. I almost wished I had seen it in 3D just for that.

The dialog was really snapping as was expected. I don't know that there was a single unneeded or out of place line. Usually with these types of films there's always at least one (usually many), but I can't think of one. Of course, that's really something that is better assessed on subsequent viewings.

The intercutting was a masterstroke. He's hinted at his potential before (especially on Angel) to give enough (but not too much) time in each scene before cutting to the next character in the ensemble. I'm sure that, if someone were to take a tally, he'd find that certain actors got more time than others (per contracts) but I didn't notice--save for Ruffalo getting the least. But that's expected.

In any case, it should serve as a blueprint to any would-be imitators. *coughwarnerbrotherscough*

The only thing that would have made it any better is a real Natalie cameo. But I'll live. Maybe.
Old May 14 2012, 07:49 AM   #936
sojourner
Admiral

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
I'm sure that, if someone were to take a tally, he'd find that certain actors got more time than others (per contracts) but I didn't notice--save for Ruffalo getting the least.
Don't be so sure about that.
Old May 14 2012, 02:20 PM   #937
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The Chitauri forces appeared to be biological when they removed their masks and such but they all dropped like robotic drones when Iron Man blew up the mothership. I think maybe it's possible the alien drones/soldiers could have been equipped with a "kill switch" that executes them should contact with the mothership be lost as a way to either deter rogue soldiers or to prevent potentially captured soldiers from being a liability.
Hadn't thought of that, but it would explain the little spark at the nape of their neck when it happens.
Chemahkuu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 02:56 PM   #938
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Hadn't thought of that, but it would explain the little spark at the nape of their neck when it happens.
Yeah. I also got the impression that the Chitauri soldiers are completely expendable, too, so if their command center is destroyed they would all just "deactivate." Ideally, though, they would also self-destruct so as to keep enemies from having anything to analyze. That would've been a tad ironic, those Leviathans going off like nukes in Midtown, achieving the exact opposite of what Tony intended.
Old May 14 2012, 03:21 PM   #939
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
I just attributed that to what I'd think a persons reaction would be to someone being unmasked. "Let me get a good look at mystery person."

So in the deleted scenes is a moment where she serves Steve coffee it seems? That's fine but I don't think it's a plot hole it just imo changed the perception of the unmasking.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 03:41 PM   #940
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I just attributed that to what I'd think a persons reaction would be to someone being unmasked. "Let me get a good look at mystery person."

So in the deleted scenes is a moment where she serves Steve coffee it seems? That's fine but I don't think it's a plot hole it just imo changed the perception of the unmasking.
I guess I need a hint of what happened. I remember a slight chuckle when a soldier was unmasking the Captain but then it was never a secret identity mask. It was like a WWF, I mean E, scene was tacked on to the fight.
Old May 14 2012, 03:44 PM   #941
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Captain Craig wrote: View Post

I took it as she was shocked that the guy she just saw get blasted out the window was standing up looking fine.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 03:47 PM   #942
sonak
Vice Admiral

B- for me.

I don't know, maybe I was just older than the target audience, but I thought that the plot was very thin. Actually, describing it as "very thin" probably is too kind.

It's basically "bad guy wants to conquer the world, good guys stop him, MacGuffin thrown in."

A lot of needless fights for the sake of fights(Hulk vs. Thor, Iron Man vs. Thor, etc.) and the last hour is pure, numbing action that ends up being boring.

The best part was on the ship with Loki captured, because there was actual dialogue and good character stuff. Still, some funny lines, it was decently entertaining, it wasn't bad, just very meh.

The Iron Man movies and Thor movie were better than this.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 04:26 PM   #943
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I was really shocked by how much I liked it.

Going into the film, I had only seen Thor and the 1st Iron Man Movie.

I was impressed by how well the characters were knit together and how the necessary story lines were woven in to the narrative. It was quite seamless without getting bogged down by exposition.

Through the character's actions, you discovered who they were. Whiich is a great testament to the film IMHO.

It was funny and had the right amount of action, and thank goodness there was no shaking camera movement. (I am so over that.)

The Hulk wins out as my favorite character. Is he (The Hulk) going to get another movie with MR as The Hulk? I have never had any desire to see a Hulk film until now.
Old May 14 2012, 04:38 PM   #944
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
The Hulk wins out as my favorite character. Is he (The Hulk) going to get another movie with MR as The Hulk? I have never had any desire to see a Hulk film until now.
As of right now the official answer is no. Although Mark has said he wants to have one and has talked to Kevin Feige about it and having Whedon write it. The marketing director for Marvel Studios even suggested it was "back on the table" but that was an unofficial comment.

I think Marvel is going to be reevaluating its intentions on a Hulk solo film as your comment is not an isolated one.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2012, 04:40 PM   #945
RoJoHen
Awesome

I think Hulk works much better as part of an ensemble where he isn't the focus. I can only take so much Bruce Banner angst.